Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK + Ontario + Scanning maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK + Ontario + Scanning maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: UK + Ontario + Scanning maps Reply with quote

Garmin tells me that Fugawi is the only 3rd party mapping software that is compatible with my new iQue 3600.

I want to be able to use it off road in the UK and in Ontario, with the ability to scan in more detailed maps if required.

According to their brochures, the UK OS maps come with mapping software; I cannot tell if I need to purchase separate software to use the Ontario maps, or whether it is compatible with the UK software. Also, I've read that if you want to be able to scan in maps, then you can't use the UK version to do this.

Any suggestion on which combination of products I should buy?

According to Fugawi website, the Ontario maps come on DVD. Really? This seems weird to me, though I admit I am uninitiated in the world of GPS, so maybe this is normal. Any comments?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm not 100% sure here and others might be able to jump in, but I think that the Fugawi UK (that has OS maps) wouldn't let you scan/import maps, I think you had to go with Fugawi 3 for that.

Mike can clarify this, but he's currently at CeBit. Others who use Fugawi might be able to jump in and answer the question though (sorry not too hot on Fugawi!)
suzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard back from Fugawi. Here's what they say in response to my questions:

1.) The Fugawi UK packages support only the UK Ordnance Survey Maps.

2.) Fugawi 3 Moving Map Software ($99.00 US) is required in order to interface the Ontario Topo maps with the iQue.

3.) Fugawi 3 Moving Map Software is required to calibrate your own maps for use on the iQue.

4.) The Ontario Topo maps are available only on DVD. It is a two DVD package that contains all the 1:50 000 and all the 1:250 000 scale maps for the entire province.

5.) Maps can be stored on the SD card.
bernbflying
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: IQue mapping software Reply with quote

Suzy, there are several programs for the Garmin IQue besides Fugawi. The best of these as far as I,m concerned is Pathaway; it has far more functions than Fugawi and costs less than half the price. You should go to Palm Forums: (http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=108) which is devoted exclusively to the IQue.
bernbflying
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Further to Fugawi maps Reply with quote

Any Fugawi maps can be used in any mapping program as long as they are imported into that program and recalibrated. There are even calibration transfer programs that will do batch conversions. Pathaway is difficult to calibrate and import to--not hard to understand, but time consuming. The Fugawi maps are raster maps, tiffs or pngs so they work anywhere.
suzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the top tip!
maubp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Further to Fugawi maps Reply with quote

bernbflying wrote:
Any Fugawi maps can be used in any mapping program as long as they are imported into that program and recalibrated. There are even calibration transfer programs that will do batch conversions. Pathaway is difficult to calibrate and import to--not hard to understand, but time consuming. The Fugawi maps are raster maps, tiffs or pngs so they work anywhere.

Is the above also true of the Fugawi UK maps?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: