Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New user finding alerts not actually correct
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New user finding alerts not actually correct
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: New user finding alerts not actually correct Reply with quote

Using my Garmin device I find when alerts do come up they are in grey at the top, NUvi 3590, the Garmin alerts always came in Red, why the changes, the grey is very difficult to read.

Driving from Gatwick to Newcastle I found alerts given, no sign of any cameras, a camera not alerted so how trustworthy is this database?

On the A1 around the Metro Centre, a lot of roadworks and speed changes, but some cameras not picked up, well I am told that cameras mounted on lamp-posts dome shaped (white top, dark base)are speed detectors as its an average speed check area, not sure they are actual camera's cannot find any reference to them on the internet.

Another problem I have is there are no voice alerts and I included voices in the download and put them in the sam folder before uploading using POI.

Any advice appreciated please.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where to start ....

Garmin's POILoader allows the addition of third party POi's and third party cameras but the banner is grey.

Cyclops has the red banner because they don't use POILoader.

If you have no voices then search here for sox.exe

AFAIK all Specs cameras are yellow so I'm not fully convinced what you saw were actually Specs, but I could be wrong.

Garmin's own default CSV camera warning is 36 seconds. That radius pulls in a lot of cameras on adjacent roads, plus, unfortunately, third party cameras are not directional so you get warned of all cameras.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you should be driving? I agree the grey alerts aren't as easy to see as the red ones but they're still readable. The change is nothing to do with the database from here, it's how the Garmins work.

Without you giving locations it's impossible to say what's happening, but the cameras you're describing sound like CCTV cameras to me.

I've used this database for a few years now and find in mainly up to date. Where it isn't I've reported the new camera or change, and in return received a years extension of my subscription.

Edit: Kremmen posted while I was typing Smile
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ain't no speed cameras that are
Quote:
"mounted on lamp-posts dome shaped (white top, dark base)are speed detectors as its an average speed check area, not sure they are actual camera's cannot find any reference to them on the internet"
and that's why you can't find a reference to them. They a\re CCTV.
Quote:
Driving from Gatwick to Newcastle I found alerts given, no sign of any cameras, a camera not alerted so how trustworthy is this database?
These alerts were with almost 100% certainty from Mobile speed camera traps, where for most of the time, they are not there, but they might be and they are the ones that are likely to catch you, unless of course you don't know how SPECS work as so many peeps appear not to.
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Where to start ....

Garmin's POILoader allows the addition of third party POi's and third party cameras but the banner is grey.

AFAIK all Specs cameras are yellow so I'm not fully convinced what you saw were actually Specs, but I could be wrong.

Garmin's own default CSV camera warning is 36 seconds. That radius pulls in a lot of cameras on adjacent roads, plus, unfortunately, third party cameras are not directional so you get warned of all cameras.

Thanks for the info, you say search for sox.exe here, what exactly do you mean?

Is there any way to change from grey to red?

Confused
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Use the search facility here because the issue with no spoken warnings has been covered many times before.

2) No
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Where to start ....

Confused
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikeyman wrote:

No. No. No.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikeyman wrote:

He means search this site, there are numerous posts that explain what you need to do.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll do the hand holding and searching for you. What you need to do is to put a copy of an executable file called sox.exe into the folder that contains the POILoader executable. This is normally at C:\Program Files(x86)\Garmin\POI Loader. Sox.exe is contained within the .zip file found in post#1 HERE
Sox.exe manipulates the .wav files into the file created by POILoader. DO NOT try to use the .mp3 files. They will NOT work. The rest of the stuff in that thread is good stuff for Garmin users as well. Give the thread a good stiff reading.
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
OK, I'll do the hand holding and searching for you. What you need to do is to put a copy of an executable file called sox.exe into the folder that contains the POILoader executable. This is normally at C:\Program Files(x86)\Garmin\POI Loader. Sox.exe is contained within the .zip file found in post#1 HERE
Sox.exe manipulates the .wav files into the file created by POILoader. DO NOT try to use the .mp3 files. They will NOT work. The rest of the stuff in that thread is good stuff for Garmin users as well. Give the thread a good stiff reading.

Many thanks for the clear explanation, I had the mp3 files as my garmin plays mp3, now I will load the wav files as you instruct. I found the sox file and installed that as instructed.

Your help was invaluable thanks again.
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little problem using CSV to GPX converter latest download windows 8.1 all help instructions followed but cannot process the files, receive the warning "invalid file format file names should not have a number in them example - expecting gatso_Fifty.CSV not gatso_50.CSV Program will terminate"

What have I done wrong?[/img]
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That issue is all (better) explained in the help facility within the program.

You can also open the help .htm file directly from the installation package.

What you've done, in a nutshell, is unzip the database fike using Windows instead of within the program.

RTFM Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

What you've done, in a nutshell, is unzip the database fike using Windows instead of within the program.

RTFM Very Happy

I have done everything correctly, used the program to unzip the database, the panel is all green and I cannot see any numbers in the panel, however the warning still activates and the process will not run. I have read the help page, I have searched the forum and internet and cannot find a solution.

Maybe I am just being thick but I am computer literate and don't consider myself stupid.
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikeyman wrote:
Kremmen wrote:

RTFM Very Happy

I have done everything correctly, used the program to unzip the database, the panel is all green and I cannot see any numbers in the panel, however the warning still activates and the process will not run. I have read the help page, I have searched the forum and internet and cannot find a solution.

Maybe I am just being thick but I am computer literate and don't consider myself stupid.

Think I have it sorted, I deleted all the unzipped files and started again, process is now running Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: