Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, I assumed the high setting referred to "high sensitivity" which is what mine is set to and it has never automatically locked a file as an event - only when I physically tap the camera as you suggest? I think one of the firmware updates was to fix the problem of multiple superfluous event recordings, so I did wonder if they had gone too far the other way?

I also, now, have an intermittent fault where the camera powers down just after it has auto started when the car is started up? I have tackled proofcam about this and even though I stated I had tried several different cables and even another car their response was to send me a replacement power cable, which arrived yesterday, and makes zero difference!

So it could well be that the camera does have a hardware fault which might be causing both problems?

However, my remarks about software were not regarding these anomalies - it was to do with the amount of pre and post video locked when (if) the G sensor triggers and especially in regard to the manual event facility. I won't repeat the details here as I have expressed them fully in my other posts above!

I assumed I was buying a fit and forget camera, like my last one but with the added bonus of the PGPSW safety cam database warnings, that also saved a decent amount of video (so you can see the "run-up" and aftermatth) for any auto or manual event and then review these when you get home- unfortunately the RAC05 is not able to do this with the current firmware because it does not save enough video.

Lots of people, including proofcam, seem to think various work arounds an "acceptable" solution whereas most other manufacturers provide a version that just works and does not need a "bodge" or manual intervention to fix it!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This last week or so (once we hit hot weather) I've been getting LOADS of "spinning wheel's of death" at random times as well as various times where it decides to stop recording randomly...

Anyone else had similar or is my unit playing up?!

Going to copy all the data off the card and format it just in case the card is playing up.
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, can't say I have had that one yet - hope you sort it, could be the SD as you suggest.

Mine still randomly powers itself off just after it has "auto" started quite often, even with the new cable I was sent which is a PIA!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formatted the card and all seems good again. Phew!
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, my camera is still faulty and proofcam are no longer responding to my emails.

If that is the level of customer service you require then buy one, if not then maybe look elsewhere?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No longer responding to support requests is unacceptable in my book. That's one of the reasons I'm a fully paid up member of the Which? legal service which fortunately I've never had to use.

Came close once with Comet but just showing the manager the membership card was enough to get him to change his mind and issue a refund.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Improving our service Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments Woodbar. My colleague Sophia has endeavoured to deliver an efficient and personal customer service to you over the last month but the issue you are facing has not been resolved to your satisfaction. As a result, I called and left a message. I appreciate your time to reply via email when you returned from your trip. I will email you now and organise a telephone call to get your issue(s) solved without further delay.

I fully take on board the comments about 'work arounds' - whilst I would like to think our speed to resolve any software issues shows we take our product and customers seriously I will be sharing your feedback with our manufacturing team to see if we can build upon the good reputation we are building.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update - I have a replacement camera on it's way to me, thank you Natasha, and I have every confidence that will cure the intermittent fault I am experiencing.

We will hopefully get some new firmware in the near future that will resolve some of the other issues - especially the length of any "event" video and the facility to "lock" a file from the playback screen would be a good start?
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really torn.
This is the only one that uses the PGPSW database, but the reviews are awful!
I don't want to waste my money :-/
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis1 wrote:
I'm really torn.

Yes, that was the main attraction for me as well when I bought it.

To be fair the video it produces is generally very good and I only tend to use the Full HD setting, 1920 x 1080, because it is easier to review on my monitor or TV when necessary and for the function and clarity it provides I just don't see the point of using the enhanced HD facility along with the bigger file sizes. I guess Ultra HD and 4k are the latest "must haves" for some people.

It also seems to have numerous recommendations and endorsements from several organisations that have reviewed it but I do sometimes wonder IF they have actually USED it rather than REVIEWED it?

The updates for Firmware and PGPSW data have been a little "confusing" to say the least but seem to have settled to a regular routine just recently.

There are some problems with the ergonomics, at least for me (see my previous posts), but hopefully these will be sorted in future firmware so that they become more "standard industry practice" and more "fit and forget" friendly?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodbar wrote:
the facility to "lock" a file from the playback screen would be a good start?

Yep - I agree, that's something I mentioned in my review too!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis1 wrote:
I'm really torn.

It could be better, but it's a long way from awful.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviewed-rac05-dashcam-i8lrp.php

MaFt
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this unit git any better recently?
My trusty old Transcend dashcam is about done after 8 years faithful service.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: