Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best tablet and best GPS app for Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best tablet and best GPS app for Android
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Best tablet and best GPS app for Android Reply with quote

I've been using the Samsung S2 and an Asus 7" tablet for a sat nav, and to be honest when the signal is good so are they, I tend to use Maps.me and Copilot mostly, favouring Maps.me simply because I never have POI problems, it just works Co:Pilot is very iffy in that it will accept some but not others.

So I need to re look at tablets first, it'll need to be used and preferably with a sim port, but not compulsory, Samsung Galaxy tab 3 has been suggested, but 8gb too small, and 16/32gb rare and expensive, I have several class 10 32gb micro SD cards so expansion isn't a problem, I'd also like one where you can actually hear the voice commands as the old lugs are not what they were, or a usable extension speaker suggestion at sensible cost.

Then Software, looked at Sygic, tooooo complex to do all my POIs, Tom Tom seems to be junk, why did they take a world class stand alone and ruin it when making the app, I've tried Nokias Here, which works well but no POI functions I could find/use.

So please suggest away.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to assume that no one who read my query uses a phone or tablet for sat nav Sad Sad Sad
spectric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

I have used Memory Map since 2001 but I am now facing issues like yourself with a GPS device to run them on, everything's gone Android and smart phone and tablets have no changeable battery which is an absolute must for hiking.

Data is not readily available regards the GPS receivers used and many just buy Satmaps and Garmin without looking any further. The market is much smaller than ten years ago hence the issues. Also my current device, a 5700 travel companion in a 2600 armour case has given very good service, thee new smart phones look very vulnerable to life out in the fells.

all the best Roy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectric wrote:
Android and smart phone and tablets have no changeable battery which is an absolute must for hiking.
Samsung Galaxy phones have changeable batteries.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectric wrote:
Hi there

I have used Memory Map since 2001 but I am now facing issues like yourself with a GPS device to run them on, everything's gone Android and smart phone and tablets have no changeable battery which is an absolute must for hiking.

Data is not readily available regards the GPS receivers used and many just buy Satmaps and Garmin without looking any further. The market is much smaller than ten years ago hence the issues. Also my current device, a 5700 travel companion in a 2600 armour case has given very good service, thee new smart phones look very vulnerable to life out in the fells.

all the best Roy

I think you'd be best with a more purpose built GPS device for hiking, phones are OK for cars etc as they can charge all the time, although there are back packs with small solar charges built into them.

No response to my query yet though Sad Sad
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Best tablet and best GPS app for Android Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
K13ehr wrote:
I've been using the Samsung S2 and an Asus 7" tablet for a sat nav, and to be honest when the signal is good so are they.......

Hi Kev, just like yourself I run a Nexus 7 32gb version 1 plus an SGS4 phone. Both are loaded with the new TT Go app, Sygic and a reinstalled TomTom Europe, which of course was the forerunner of the GO app and to which you can load all the PGPSW POI's.

It was courtesy of another post somewhere that I found that the TT Europe app was still available to download purely by going to Google Playstore/My Apps/All (not Installed) and hey presto back up and running even if the maps won't be subject to updates.

Both Sygic and TT served me well earlier in the summer across Europe when we ventured into Austria and Czech Rep. with no loss of signals at any time.

I must admit that I have been tempted to upgrade the Nexus to v2 or even to one of the other tabs, but have decided in the end to stay with what works and fits the car without taking over the dash and that could well be your ultimate decision?

I don't have any problems with the speaker from the Nexus, so can't give any advice on an additional speaker.

You will probably say this post has been of little help, but at the end of the day you do say that the S2 and Asus are good when the signal is good and the signal is the one thing that we have no control of, so will you actually manage to improve the situation with a new phone/tablet?

Hi John, there's some useful info in there for me :D :D

Did you mean you use the free TT app?

Not had much to do with the Nexus, so might be one to look at used, but all branded 7" tablets seem to be way overpriced when used, even B & C graded, Ebay seems to have Nexus listed under Asus as well, problem with my Asus is also the touch screen seems to decide when it wants to be touched, must be female :D :D

Tried Sygic, good app, but a cow to upload my OV2 or KML POIs, never managed it, Copilot seems to be very iffy for that too, some go in others don't for some odd reason, and When trying to do POIs for here, I've always failed, the version numbers don't seem to match my app ones.

My problem does seem to be the GPS chip not being sensitive enough, it seems to locate then not keep up or just not locate at all, on both platforms, hence me looking for one with a better GPS chip, but even my old TT on V4 struggles sometimes, need an external antenna I think for the MoHo which has a big luton overhang, but so far I've not been able to figure out which on will fit.

I found a really good external speaker at Maplins on Monday £39.99, on offer price, but a seriously good bit of kit
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/kitsound-hive-portable-bluetooth-speaker-black-n34de?gclid=CP7zqPicnsgCFUmc2wodK_cB0Q I even did a review as I tried loads of others that just didn't do it for me at all, some much more expensive too.

Kev
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
When you say the TT Free app, I am guessing it is one and the same as the upgraded GO app that TT offered and which wiped my TT Europe when I did the upgrade. As ever nothing is free, so you end up buying the mapping unless you can manage on the free 50 miles per month that they allow.

I was also looking on ebay for a v2 Nexus and there seemed to be one or two goods ones being offered as used and reasonably priced and on the vein of Asus or Nexus, reading some reviews it seemed to me that Asus and Nexus collaborated in the product.

Cheers John,

Can't manage on 50 miles so no good to me.

Do you have a link the the actual ones you looked at?

I'd even consider a new tablet if I could be sure the GPS chip was really good.

Kev
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr said:
Quote:
with my Asus is also the touch screen seems to decide when it wants to be touched

This seems to be a problem with the Asus memopad 7, I sent two back under warranty with returns stating screen flex reseated so the the third I repaired myself which simply entails removing back and unclipping and pushing in the screen circuit strips, an easy quick 5 minute repair.[/quote]
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you opt for TomTom GO make sure you try it out on your tablet of choice before committing yourself, not only does it have a lot of shortcoming it also seems to have a lot of hardware compatibility issues, I have a Galaxy Note 3 and if I can get TTG to start up inside 4 minutes I'm lucky Shocked
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
Kev,
Although the TT GO app provides a basic 50 miles per month allowance you can upgrade via the app to an unlimited allowance - which I have done at a cost of £34.99 for 3 years including the traditional 4 map upgrades per year. I then opted to downgrade from Europe to UK & Ireland as I already have the relevant country maps on Sygic for European travel, thus saving 5gb of memory space. Having done the download I went to "View Map" and found by chance that with an internet connection I also have live traffic hotspots showing.

As yet this hasn't been put to a road test, but it looks as though I may have Live Traffic included for whatever reason and if so, well bonus time, but of course it doesn't fully compensate for not being able to load PGPSW POI's.

For the ebay search, just type in Google Nexus 7 Tablet in the search bar and you should have a page of options - it did that for me minutes ago. It's then just a case of pick and choose from the versions offered and the memory sizes. Hope that helps.

Thanks John, I'll look into that later.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
K13ehr said:
Quote:
with my Asus is also the touch screen seems to decide when it wants to be touched

This seems to be a problem with the Asus memopad 7, I sent two back under warranty with returns stating screen flex reseated so the the third I repaired myself which simply entails removing back and unclipping and pushing in the screen circuit strips, an easy quick 5 minute repair.
[/quote]

Mine appears to be ME173X is that a different model?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mine appears to be ME173X is that a different model?

That is the same model, i.e Memopad 7, I bought two for the grandkids and replaced one with same model due to broken screen and everyone had this problem and I repaired last one last weekend, it is simple job only tool you need is a credit/bank card if you haven't got the case splitting tool.

If you split the case you can instantly see if that's the problem, can advise if required.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:

If you split the case you can instantly see if that's the problem, can advise if required.

Worth a try isn't it, not that it'll solve the GPS problem but I do like it otherwise except for the numb screen.

Is this the bit which needs attention, IE re-inserting?

Kev
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's the bit, the white line across the ribbon cable should be right up to the clip, the ribbon cables do drift out and cause the screen problem, so lift the clamps and push cables in, I removed mine and cleaned ends with meths to ensure clean.
add:it does look like one of yours has slid out of square, they do not need to come out far to cause the problem and from pic looks like your problem.
you can check before reassembly by pushing the on pad on the board and watch the rubber moulding under the buttons before putting case back together, also remove SD Card if not done before taking apart.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I'll try to get onto it later, but that was just a screenshot from a Youtube vid as I'm not brave enough to just dive in and start pulling stuff apart.

Kev.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: