Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN3 'ODD' Routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN3 'ODD' Routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: TTN3 'ODD' Routes Reply with quote

Having complained several times about missing towns some of which are still 'missing' or are in the Database but the co-ordinates are wrong I now find that the roues too are very odd.

I recently visited a friend at Llanidloes in Powys and with time to spare I decided to try out TTN3 on a straight forward run to Shrewbury and park at the Riverside Car Park just before the Welsh Bridge.

I have travelled this route hundreds of times over the last 50 years and the road is very easy, completly straight ahead at all junctions - or so I thought! Rolling Eyes

TTN3, in its wisdom, directs me to turn right onto the A5 and drive all the way round to the other side of Shrewsbry and then directs me to pass though the town centre to the Riverside Car park at least an extra 9/10 miles. The next day (just to try it out again!), I took my usual route and got to the same car park with a journey time of 40 minutes less than TTN3 'Quickest Route' even though the traffic was mush heavier than the previous day!

As I have said elswhere in the Forums I don't expect perfection, but a little less enthusiasam to use my petrol and more to sooth by fevered brow would not go amiss. This is a route I know well - wonder what its like if I travel to a place I don't know? AND yes 3.03 is loaded.

A friends Co-Pilot Live dosn't do this - enough said?

Nigelj
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoroute 2004 has some wierd ideas on routing too. THe trick is to find the best speed settings for each road type.

If TT3 sees the road you say it is best to use as a minor road and you're using the default speeds, it'll assume you are going to do 40 MPH at max on that whereas it may see the A5 as a mojor route in which case it'll tag a higher speed onto it and work out that this is the quicker route. This is certainly the case for routes from Hull heading up to Tyneside/North East where it thinks going out to Leeds then up the new M1-A1 link is quicker than coming off at Ferrybridge then going up the A1. A tweak of the speed settings and the problem was resolved.
Moreymach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Been reading here for a while but this is my 1st post Smile

Have to say I agree with you. I have until recently been using a GPS V and have noticed several oddities on teh navigation of TT3. Ive ony had it a few weeks and am still in the 'playing with it' stage but often when Ive used it on a route I set it to take me home and I get a totally diferent route back. On trip I do every few weeks from Penzance to S/W Wales the GPS V used what I found later to be the best way whereas TT3 takes me all round numerous single track lanes n villages before getting me there about 15 min later. Dont get me wrong I delighted with the system and its certainly a step forward from my old Garmin in most ways but it does have some odd ideas on where to take you.

Guy.
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I aquired CP4 I have tried running it next to TTN3 yesterday with a completley seperate setup - 2 receivers+ 2 3950's. The route was over a distance of 52 miles which I know very well.

TTN3 tried to take me a very long way round (again!) and when I deviated onto my usual route it did not recalculte and I had ro use the 'alernate route' button. For the rest of the trip it continually tried to return to the original route even when only a mile from my destination. This would have taken me through a housing estate adding on about 3 miles!!! Copilot4 took me the route I would have expecred to use.

I had adjusted the road speeds in TTN3 so they all showd 60mph on the outward journey. I re-set them to 'normal' for the return but still encountered the same problems.

See my posts on the 'Open Letter' referring to the continuing map problems which are still being addressed by TT. I wonder if there ever will be a resolution?

I can only hope that CP5 is marketed soon!

NigelJ
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried enabling "strict calculation". I find that this tends to give better routes and when re-routing after deviating off the original route it is less inclined to just put you back on the original.
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer

Thanks for the reply - no I havn't tried that. The original route included several 'B' roads. Next time I go shopping i'll try again Wink

Regards

NigelJ
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have found this as well you always seem to get a different route back ,very frustrating , i live in east Sussex and i always have to put up with the a21 being the fastest route when i know it ain't sometimes adds 10 miles onto a journey
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you tried enabling "strict calculation".

Can you tell us more about this function please?
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the advanced tab in properties and scroll down to route planning, you will see calculation options. The default is normal, change this to Strict. You will notice that route planning takes slightly longer, this is because it calculates the route more thouroughly and often produces better results. Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: