Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPSW Cameras to Garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPSW Cameras to Garmin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
D=S x T. T= D/S. Simples. Very Happy
However: @ Kremmen. Is S the camera speed or your vehicle speed?

Thanks.

The speeds on the sheet only go up to 70 mph though.

What happens if you are doing 80 90 100 etc ? Does it adjust the time automatically?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speeds link to the camera speeds in the file.

In my example, for each of the speeds shown, 14 seconds will equate to a distance from the camera that the warning will be triggered, regardless of your speed.

There is a separate screen from the top menu bar that allows calulation of speed v distance so you can fine tune it to your requirements.

When I had my Talex I found the approach and overspeed warnings to be perfect for me and ages ago when I had both running simultaneously, for a short time during testing, I found that 14 and 6 seconds respectively got them both warning in unison.

The maths:

Using 50mph as an example:

50 x 1609 = 80450
80450/3600=22.347222
22.347222 x 14 = 312.8611
Rounded as integer = 312

1609 is a fixed figure required to get the proximity correct and applies to all speeds as is the 3600 division figure.

So for 14 seconds at 50mph the proximity is 312 metres. Even though POILoader says feet and MPH it still needs its figure as metres.

So, regardless of your speed you will get a warning 312 metres from the camera if you have selected 14 seconds.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you mucking about with meters? I bet you have got your device set to readout MPH/Miles/yards. And at your age you should know better than to.
a. mix your units.
b. be using Johnny foreigner units in the first place.
(I am conveniently forgetting that POI loader needs meters)

50mph = 50(mph) x 1760(yards per mile) / 3600(seconds per hour) = 24.44 yard/sec. multiply by 14(sec) = 342 yards (rounded to the nearest integer).

So the formula for yards is (approx.) S (mph) x T (sec) / 2.04
50 x 14 / 2.05 = 343 yards (=313m)

So using an even easier approximation for the distance in yards, the formula is S x T / 2. So for 50mph this gives 350 yards.

Or to calculate time, given distance and speed. T = D x 2 /S where D is in yards

so 350 / 50 x 2 = 14(sec)

I would suggest that the constant conversion factor of 2 is a bit easier to remember than your constants as well as giving the answers in the more acceptable, for the UK, imperial units. Very Happy

There is also the often quoted 'Set the warning distance in yards to ten times the camera speed (in mph)'.
This gives, for a 50mph camera 500 yards. Now use my formula for converting to seconds
500/50 X 2 = 20 seconds. Not a million miles from your 14 seconds.
So to use that adage, set the time in the converter to 20 seconds.

But as meters are approximately yards anyway (close enough for government work), As you may have noticed, my calculation gives 343 yards which is 313 meters (approx.) which is pretty damn close to your figure anyway I don't really think that it makes much difference. Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a few years ago now but I started out by getting what the distance should be via a few of the calculation tools on the net.

Having got all the answers I devised a way of applying this across all the speeds so it worked.

Looking at the Garmin gpx schema interpretation the gpx proximity distance needed to be in metres even though POIloader says feet and mph (confused me as well)

I know I should know better but it works Very Happy

I did a few live and simulated test runs with my faithful seconds timer I still have from my photo darkroom days and the timings were spot on.

'If it ain't broke' and all that
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fix it. Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have access to the full Visual Studio development environment or InstallShield anymore so I agree.

I could have stayed with it but it was a toss up and retirement won Very Happy

I do have VS2013 Express so not totally out of it. I have a few things I'd like to try but they are only minor.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a complete Garmin virgin, I eventually got the CSV converter and POI loader to do it's stuff. Unfortunately, I got an error to the effect that POI loader had a problem writing to the Garmin. No matter, I copied the PGPSW.gpi file to the POI folder on the Garmin.
Now what?
I have gone to 'Proximity Alerts'
'Audio' Gives two tone choices and OFF
'Alerts' Gives Garmin Safety Cameras' and 'Custom POIs' as options. I have unchecked Garmin's offering and checked 'Custom POIs'
I can now see them on the map, but they have a blue dot in the middle. What's up doc? When simulating a route, when the voice alert goes off, the blue dot goes, then returns at the end of the warning. Is this normal?

I think it would be an idea if your post 1 brilliant guide included 'what to do next to set up the Garmin', as I have been stumped for a good while.
Where are the 44 x 44 icons? (link in post 1 would be super)

How can I deselect the 'other two' things from the 'Up ahead' display because I only want the cameras, not the knives and forks etc.?

Now to get the female voice that I wanted in the first place but downloaded the wrong ones Smile
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap the icons on the Up ahead slide out then the Spanner icon. This enables you to change what's displayed but you have to choose three.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're experiencing isn't normal.

You've said you have the 3 green fields in my program so you have the full set of files with the csv, bmp and wav, subsequently converted to gpx, bmp and wav.

Once at that position it should all be plain sailing providing you have the SOX in place and POIloader is pointing to the folder with the above matching sets.

Getting an error writing to the Garmin is one issue that needs solving, second issue is the lack of icons.

I use the 24x24 icons which I thought was the maximum.

From afar it sounds like it doesn't like the .bmp you are using.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sus
Quote:
but you have to choose three
That's what I was afraid of. [rhetorical]I wonder if I can make two blank icons to 'display'[/rhetorical]
@Kremmen
Quote:
Getting an error writing to the Garmin is one issue that needs solving, second issue is the lack of icons.
Just did it again to get the female voices and it just worked OK like wot you said, just got to do a sim route to check.

Icons are there no prob. They are a bit smaller that the Garmin ones, but have a blue dot in the middle until the voice comes on I have searched about a bit and this seems to be a Garmin quirk (unless someone knows different). What size are the icons that download with the dataset?

It has been said that the 44 x 44 icons work and come out about the same size as the Garmin ones, but it seems possible that this depends on the particular Garmin model.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icon and a blue dot indicates you have 2 sets of cameras on the go.

Your call but I would cut/paste all the free Cyclops sets to the PC and get them out of the way. That'll free up a bit of space as well.

I've always used the 24x24 set rather than the default 22x22 in the weekly download. If you think the 44x44 look better I'll give them a go.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I've only just noticed on my 2597.

In the POI selection folder it only shows 'Custom POI' regardless of how many GPI files are in there so it's all or nothing.

I seem to recall on previous units it used to list the GPI's by name individually so you could activate and deactivate as required.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean in the Other Categories section? I'm still seeing different categories for my POIs although all the PGPSW files are only listed separately in the Custom POIs category.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be looking in the wrong place.

I'm looking in Settings - Proximity Alerts - Alerts

Just shows Custom Poi's even though I have two gpi files in there both uniquely named.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem now is that I can't get ANY of the 'Up ahead' POIs showing, or the Garmin Speed cams. What Have I borked? The only thing that I have done between having them and not having them was to delete the POILoader generated PGPSW.gpi file from Internal Storage\POI\ and re-POILoadered a new one onto the device. This latter .gpi file is OK as Kremmen has checked it out for me on his device.
I tried a 'Delete User Data' re-updated the device (maps were still OK) and have all the Cyclops sample cams including UKIreland etc. in place.
Checked that most everything was switched on. Still no POIs, but get a list if I tap any of the icons in the 'Up Ahead' screen popup menu.
What have I borked?

Just remembered, I did get a couple of the Windows damaged drive do you want to scan it type errors. I scanned it and it found no errors, but I can't remember whether this was just before I lost the POIs or not.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: