Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is Apple maps good enough for basic sat nav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Apple maps good enough for basic sat nav?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMrMr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Is Apple maps good enough for basic sat nav? Reply with quote

Is Apple maps a good enough sat nav now? I know it had some problems when first out. I'm talking about in the UK btw. I'll be using on an iPhone.

Or is Google maps app better than Apple maps on an iPhone? It will only be for basic sat nav, nothing fancy. I suppose I'd lose speed camera alerts compared to TomTom app or Copilot, or can you get these on Apple maps or Google maps?

So does anyone use either Apple maps or Google maps extensively for sat nav?

Thanks
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about Apple maps, but the Google offering downloads the map tiles on the fly. Go to somewhere with no 3G and you're stuffed not to mention data usage. You can download the map tiles in advance (if you know where there is no 3G.
You don't have to do without PGPSW speedcams. Use the CamerAlert app in conjunction (behind) your chosen Nav program.
Get the best of both worlds (PGPSW speedcams and on device maps) and get Sygic. There are others.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not bad. Although I still prefer Google Maps on iOS for navigation.

Data may be an issue though so I'd always recommend a proper navigation app with onboard mapping. But both Google Maps and Apple Maps are adequate for quick navigation.

The only real problem with Apple Maps is it's poor POI locations. Searching for a POI could take you anywhere, but postcodes and addresses seem to work fine.

MaFt
MrMrMr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameralert runs in background I take it? So you would have to start cameralert then start apple or google maps and it would work on the route your taking?

Trouble is it's £19.99 a year for alerts whereas TomTom or Copilot isn't much more and that included speed cameras to, whereas cameralert is only the speed cameras.

So overall it seems apple or google might be ok for me as don't use too often, missing POI is a problem but I suppose if it isn't there then I can get a post code or location and manually navigate to it?

I'm in unlimited data so that didn't concern me, maybe out of a decent signal then there's a prob, in country or something. Do they not "intelligently" look ahead and download what they need if you plan a route though?

Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMrMr wrote:
The cameralert runs in background I take it? So you would have to start cameralert then start apple or google maps and it would work on the route your taking?

Yes. But you can set CamerAlert to automatically open your navigation app for you. E.g. tell it to auto-run Google Nav then all you have to do it open CamerAlert - that will load and then put itself into the background and load Google for you.

MrMrMr wrote:
Trouble is it's £19.99 a year for alerts whereas TomTom or Copilot isn't much more and that included speed cameras to, whereas cameralert is only the speed cameras.

I'm biased, but the TT and CP cameras are poor. Feel free to seek advice from someone who isn't the database admin!

MrMrMr wrote:
So overall it seems apple or google might be ok for me as don't use too often, missing POI is a problem but I suppose if it isn't there then I can get a post code or location and manually navigate to it?

You can use our mobile POI site at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/mobilepoi on your phone and that will launch the navigation app with the POI as the destination.

MrMrMr wrote:
I'm in unlimited data so that didn't concern me, maybe out of a decent signal then there's a prob, in country or something. Do they not "intelligently" look ahead and download what they need if you plan a route though?

Not sure about apple maps but I think google DOES cache the route. However, if you go off-route and have no signal then you're scuppered!

MaFt
NickJig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a navigation app Spyglass that supports different maps, depending on my current needs: google maps, apple maps, open street map and open cycle map. It saves an opened map area in a cache so you can use it later when offline.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: