Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT HD traffic vs Google maps and traffic.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT HD traffic vs Google maps and traffic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: TT HD traffic vs Google maps and traffic. Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been away from TomTom for about 12 months and have been using Google Maps on my phone. Situation has now changed and I might be going back to TT again.

From what I can see Google maps has come on immensely and its routes are quite good and it can find anything POI wise due to it being Google!!!

Why it can't do as well as TT is avoid certain roads, avoid next xxx distance etc.

However the one thing I am undecided on is which traffic service is better? Is HD traffic better than the free Google service? I know TT made a big publicity statement a couple of years ago saying HD traffic was better than Google. I'm keen to know if that still applies.

Thoughts and comments most welcome.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom tell everybody that HD Traffic is the best thing since sliced bread. It is when it works. But it does drop off from time to time, unpredictably. The good value of it is the re-routing to avoid traffic. I, of course, ignored it today and spent an extra half hour in the M4 traffic jam! Evil or Very Mad

I have no idea what Google Traffic is like.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the issue here is the use that someone is allowed to use traffic data for. I think Google used TomTom data for a while, but were not licensed to use it for re-routing (have to pay more). They seem to have quite good detailed traffic info on our local roads, but I don't know if that is historic, or real.

But for driving, I've always found TomTom HT Traffic to be very good, so long as the device can actually get it. My TomTom 740LIVE is going to go on ebay soon as I found that it lost data too often. I use the app on my iPhone now, which is much better at keeping the signal.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my area I've found on arterial routes such as A-class and Motorways the traffic flow reported to be more or less the same on Google traffic and TomTom, with perhaps Google reporting a little more specific information.

With Google you also get incidents reported by Waze users which is sometimes handy for road closures, accidents, vehicle breakdowns etc. This type of information isn't something I've come across all that often on TomTom - Unless it's a major incident.

What I've also found is that TT traffic seems to display some traffic data on unclassified, local roads that have reasonable amounts of congestion. Something that I don't seem to pick up on Google Traffic - I think they only cover arterial routes. (A/M etc)

I seem to remember reading some time ago that Google used Inrix for their traffic information.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
In my area I've found on arterial routes such as A-class and Motorways the traffic flow reported to be more or less the same on Google traffic and TomTom, with perhaps Google reporting a little more specific information.

With Google you also get incidents reported by Waze users which is sometimes handy for road closures, accidents, vehicle breakdowns etc. This type of information isn't something I've come across all that often on TomTom - Unless it's a major incident.

What I've also found is that TT traffic seems to display some traffic data on unclassified, local roads that have reasonable amounts of congestion. Something that I don't seem to pick up on Google Traffic - I think they only cover arterial routes. (A/M etc)

I seem to remember reading some time ago that Google used Inrix for their traffic information.

Using both Garmin Digital Traffic and TomTom HD - plus most of the mobile apps - I would totally agree with your explanation of the differences. Spot on Laughing
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I do a lot of travelling, as well as using my built-in TomTom, I usually have Google maps and traffic running on my smartphone too and the main difference I see is that Google seems to lag more than TomTom, which could mean you end up re-routing even if the incident or heavy traffic has moved on. So I think TomTom's Traffic just edges it but it's very close.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: