Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin real voice can be a real pain.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin real voice can be a real pain.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
If Garmin don't respond in a positive way to this then my nice new sat nav will probably be heading off to ebay.
And what will you replace it with?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
Potentially dangerous too. Yesterday I was approaching a busy major traffic junction with only basic instructions from my Garmin, "Take the third exit, blah blah road" and when I got to the roundabout it was all marked up into lanes with the numbers of the exit roads. I just had to make a guess as to which lane to be in, which for a device costing over £200 is not acceptable. If Garmin don't respond in a positive way to this then my nice new sat nav will probably be heading off to ebay.

Sorry but that's nonsense. The logical conclusion of your statement is that anyone without a satnav is driving in a potentially dangerous situation. Your satnav is an aid to driving, it doesn't and never will replace your senses and what your brain makes of them!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gut feeling is 'Third exit' means 'Get in RH lane'. Does your Garmin not tell you which lane to get in? Mine usually does. And there are not usually more than three to chose from, and if you are in the wrong lane and for some reason you can't get into the right one in time, do a 360 and get into the right exit lane on the way around.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
[Your satnav is an aid to driving, it doesn't and never will replace your senses and what your brain makes of them!

+1 Thumbs Up

I've never used a Garmin SatNav, my current preferred manufacturer of choice is TomTom, but I think that most if not all SatNavs will at some point give less than clear instructions.

It helps to know roughly where you're going, a brief look at the screen map might make things clearer plus if your SatNav tells you the next road (name or number) then look at street signs and road markings.

If you do end up going wrong, i.e. exit on a roundabout or turning, then carry on as if that was your intended route and let the SatNav reroute you. It's far better to be safe (for yourself and other road users) to add a few minutes to your journey than to attempt to correct the error and cause an accident (or worse).

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Your satnav is an aid to driving, it doesn't and never will replace your senses and what your brain makes of them!

But as an aid to driving the information should be as helpful as possible, and not confusing.

I had a Garmin, a long time ago and things may be different now, but I found the timing of the directions caused confusion over which turning to take, and on an unfamiliar, complex roundabout following the premature command caused me to take the wrong exit.

I'm sure we've all relied on a passenger for navigation, and I wonder what the reaction would have been to a navigator telling you to take the exit before the one you needed - especially if it was a woman! It would at least cause some, possibly dangerous, hesitation.

The TomToms that I've had say "Take the exit" after passing the previous one, making it perfectly clear which exit is correct, just one of the reasons I shall stick with TT, in spite of the POI fiasco.
Samsung Galaxy S21
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's changed or not but you generally get a warning about which exit to take at a roundabout up to a couple of miles away, then again as you get closer, certainly in plenty of time to look at the relevant signs as you approach the roundabout itself. Really no room for error unless you want to be told exactly what to do, in which case I guess you'd be in trouble when told for example to 'turn left at the traffic lights' as your Garmin didn't say if the light was red or green Wink
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I still say you wouldn't be happy if a navigator gave you some of the directions I've had from a Garmin.

I find your comment about the traffic lights offensive. There's certainly room for error on occasions, e.g. when travelling in congested traffic with lorries in the inside lane obscuring road signs, or vehicles in front obscuring the lane markings on a roundabout.
Samsung Galaxy S21
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic light comment in jest hence the wink Wink

But yes, guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I have occasionally missed an exit, generally my fault, and have just done what privateer said above. But it's rare to be 'misled' by my Garmin.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Is not 'Take the third exit' a bit of a clue as to your positioning on approach?
Having said that, the road numbers where relevant would be better. Even better would be 'Take the third exit. A259, towards Hastings' if that's what the road sign said, rather than 'Third exit onto Bexhill Road'.
Not much of a clue if there are half a dozen exits and three or four lanes nicely marked up with road numbers.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
cottonsocks wrote:
Potentially dangerous too. Yesterday I was approaching a busy major traffic junction with only basic instructions from my Garmin, "Take the third exit, blah blah road" and when I got to the roundabout it was all marked up into lanes with the numbers of the exit roads. I just had to make a guess as to which lane to be in, which for a device costing over £200 is not acceptable. If Garmin don't respond in a positive way to this then my nice new sat nav will probably be heading off to ebay.

Sorry but that's nonsense. The logical conclusion of your statement is that anyone without a satnav is driving in a potentially dangerous situation. Your satnav is an aid to driving, it doesn't and never will replace your senses and what your brain makes of them!
Not so. If I were using a map to plan my route I'd probably have an idea of the road numbers I would be looking out for. Is it really too much to have the sat nav say "Take the third exit A449 to Kidderminster?" TomTom units do this from what I recall, so why not Garmin?
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Not sure if it's changed or not but you generally get a warning about which exit to take at a roundabout up to a couple of miles away, then again as you get closer, certainly in plenty of time to look at the relevant signs as you approach the roundabout itself. Really no room for error unless you want to be told exactly what to do, in which case I guess you'd be in trouble when told for example to 'turn left at the traffic lights' as your Garmin didn't say if the light was red or green Wink
It's just a pity that the signs don't always match the very basic information given by the Garmin. Being told to take the fourth exit on a multi-lane roundabout with six exits is not very helpful in my opinion, especially given how long Garmin has been in the business.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
sussamb wrote:
Your satnav is an aid to driving, it doesn't and never will replace your senses and what your brain makes of them!

But as an aid to driving the information should be as helpful as possible, and not confusing.

I had a Garmin, a long time ago and things may be different now, but I found the timing of the directions caused confusion over which turning to take, and on an unfamiliar, complex roundabout following the premature command caused me to take the wrong exit.

I'm sure we've all relied on a passenger for navigation, and I wonder what the reaction would have been to a navigator telling you to take the exit before the one you needed - especially if it was a woman! It would at least cause some, possibly dangerous, hesitation.

The TomToms that I've had say "Take the exit" after passing the previous one, making it perfectly clear which exit is correct, just one of the reasons I shall stick with TT, in spite of the POI fiasco.
I think I might have to do the same and put my Garmin up for sale on ebay. I'll give it a bit longer to see if I can get used to it, but if not, it will be going. I have a TomTom GO5100 unit anyway and I only really got the Garmin because the TomTom POI's are poor, as is their speed camera database (especially for mobile cameras).
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been paying more attention to this issue today whilst out with the Garmin on unfamiliar roads and I think that, in most cases, we would actually benefit from the road number, the name and (when on a major road) the name of the next destination. Something like "At the roundabout take the second exit, A590 Church Road, towards Ambleside." If the map has the detail then tell me and I can chose which bits of the information I need.

Also the early notification of a roundabout which the Garmin gives would benefit from a turn direction being added to help with lane choice. Something like "Turn left at the roundabout, second exit."

Like Anita I also found the TomTom "Take the exit" instruction helpful. This would have been useful today when on a large busy roundabout I was told to take the third exit but the second exit on the map was actually an almost invisible gravel track so my count of exits was different to the Garmin's.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
sussamb wrote:
It's just a pity that the signs don't always match the very basic information given by the Garmin. Being told to take the fourth exit on a multi-lane roundabout with six exits is not very helpful in my opinion, especially given how long Garmin has been in the business.

Perhaps not, but surely (having been told quite a while before the rounadabout) to take the '4th exit' as you approach the roundabout the signage will tell you which road is the 4th exit? To me I never worry, 4th exit is 4th exit ... I just take it ... don't need to know which road it is, surely that is the point of a satnav??
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:

Also the early notification of a roundabout which the Garmin gives would benefit from a turn direction being added to help with lane choice. Something like "Turn left at the roundabout, second exit."

Really? As far as I'm aware all exits off a roundabout are 'left', or am I misunderstanding you?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: