Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Review of the TomTom GO 60 SatNav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Review of the TomTom GO 60 SatNav
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:
Just a thought though - many of us would like a 6" sat-nav screen but don't want to carry a 6" smartphone in our pocket all day.

Correct !
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you do with a 6" pnd when you weren't using it? How about an Android mini-tablet running a navigation app and CamerAlert? Get a mount and you could use it in the same way that you would use a pnd, with the benefit that it could do other stuff if you wanted. Possibly cheaper than a dedicated pnd of that size too.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
What would you do with a 6" pnd when you weren't using it? How about an Android mini-tablet running a navigation app and CamerAlert? Get a mount and you could use it in the same way that you would use a pnd, with the benefit that it could do other stuff if you wanted. Possibly cheaper than a dedicated pnd of that size too.

That sounds interesting !.

I havent any experience of the navigation apps in question so I dont know if live traffic would be available or if the cameralert files would be compatible. But if you could get a screen mount thats suitable and use one or two of the applications available to create your favourites etc then it maybe viable. I suspect it wouldnt do all that the TomTom will like avoid route etc but then I dont use a lot of the facilities available anyway.

Worth giving it some thought I suppose as TomTom arent going to dramatically improve the current generation of pnd's by the looks of it.
hluder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOMTOM Iphone app is the same as on the PND.Just more convenient as you have a your traffic updates and Mp updates over WIFI or 3G.
You can do rerouting, traffic alerts give you rerouting advice and will find quicker routes for you.You have Favourites which you can make from your recent destinations or from new destinations.
The IOS(Apple) compatible APP costs in the £30 region and you get regular updates.You can get it for 4.7 inch phones,5inch,6inch and 7.5 and 10 inch devices and soon 12inch.
Dont get a phone that has under 32GByte of memory though as TomTom takes a minimum of 2-3 GBytes of space plus 3Gbytes minimum for IOS a 16Gbyte basic Apple phone gets a bit crowded.
With a Brodit Holder its better than a PND.
In my opinion as you can use your Iphone also with Viewranger app (OS Landranger and OS Explorer Maps downloaded on to the Phone) for walking and make a photo diary of your walks as you have a good camera as well and log all your walks.You can download routes from a variety of sources like Trailmagazine or just let Viewranger let you make a suggestion for a route download in your area.
For safety you have a phone to call for help on your walks or share your location via Viewranger Buddy Beacon.
So with a Smartphone you get a multifunctional device (Camera (Accident reporting tool), Map replacement (Viewranger OS Maps)and A-Z replacement all in one compact device.
Oh and no more arguments of where you are on the Map because Viewranger tells you your current position on the OS Landranger and Explorer Maps as well!
I have TOMTOM on my Iphone and Brodit Holder near my Steering wheel and my wife has the Viewranger app open on the 10 inch IPAD instead of a road Atlas.So everybody knows exactly where we are and we cn easily get round traffic jams or Road closures not flagged up by the TomTom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: