Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CN EU 2015.40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CN EU 2015.40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Map update - a big problem Reply with quote

These updates have been a complete disaster to me - firstly it took numerous attempts before I was able to successfully download Garmin Express 4.08 - then when I first plugged in my 1440T it said that the download time was 21 hours 59 minutes !!

Not surprisingly this failed after a short while, giving me a message stating it was having problems with the servers.

Numerous attempts later, over two days - with the time dropping after each failure - it finally completed the update - but, surprise, surprise, I failed to get 2015.40 and it is now showing CN Europe NT 2014.40 (1) Western Europe, instead of my previous 2015.20 for All of Europe !!

And a dotted line is showing about level with the top of the black line at the bottom of the screen, which wasn't there before!!

All of my favourites are still sitting there - and if I attempt to reach one of those places, whilst sitting at home of course, it works out the route correctly.

Do you suggest using the same pc and trying again, or using another pc and working from there to see what happens - the other pc (Windows 8.1) is new and hasn't previously use Garmin Express.

cheers

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you didn't back up your nuvi before the update? If you had you could simply copy the newer map back. For future reference it always pays to make a back up should anything go wrong you're then covered.

From what you say it does sound like something is blocking the download, maybe your AV or firewall, or may be something as simple as your PC putting the USB ports to sleep. You don't say what ISP you use, or what speed it is, but on a 20Mb pipe that I had a full EU map rarely took more than around an hour, so something isn't quite right.

If you have another PC I'd certainly try that. Also if you can cable directly to your modem/router to rule out any Wi-Fi issues (that is if you've been trying over Wi-Fi).

Alternatively you could try MapUpdater available here

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of updating my 2599.

It started off telling me 5hrs 40mins. Then it rapidly changed it's mind to 1hr 29mins. It then just sat there showing 1hr 29mins for about the hour and a half with no movement.

The progress bar then went about half way and it's now saying 1hr 25mins, again with no apparent progress and still showing 1hr 25 after nearly that time.

The countdown progress bar used to work minute by minute.

I'm also on 20mbps fibre.

See how this goes but I'm not holding my breath.

Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen

My screen matched yours - good luck

Sussamb

I am on BT Infinity Option 2 - using Wi-Fi as before - but what I cannot understand is why it has gone back to a 2014 version, and not just kept the previous version, and where has the dotted line come from?

Now going to try another pc

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Express has to delete the previous map to give space to update. Why your line is there I can't say from your description. Can you post a screenshot?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

If it appears to have frozen, leave the unit connected and terminate Garmin Express by the top right X, wait a minute and launch GE again.

It will (should) offer to update your maps, again, and when you click 'install' it will continue from where it left off.

I'm now progressing on:

............... All done, full Europe and I didn't need a SSD card:

Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can now go back to sleep then Laughing Out Loud

Seems like the download froze ... Could be numerous reasons for that.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the download completed but then froze and refused to go to the next step.

Back to sleep then ................
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now trying it on a Windows 8.1 laptop - I tried firstly on a fresh W7 laptop, but although it downloaded GE okay it stuck on the update to 4.08, so after an hour I gave up!!

Had to start with a fresh download of GE, and that was quick, then a quick update to 4.08, but I had to move the 1440T around a few USB ports before it picked one up (although Kaspersky had recognised that a unit was plugged into each USB port Garmin, for some reason didn't) - then it started to update and currently has 16 minutes to go.

Will come back later - probably more than 16 minutes later :-( to advise what happened!!

cheers

Allan
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Update to both 4.08 and 2015.40 both successful - at last ! Reply with quote

Now completed successfully on the Windows 8.1 laptop - and it shows CN Europe NT 2015.40 [1] ALL - but the dotted line is still there!!

Although not a showstopper I cannot see how it got there - and also, how can I do a screen shot of it to put it on here?

Although I still have all the superfluous data on the Nuvi hard drive (help folder etc.) it automatically rolled some of the new stuff over to my 8Gb SD card.

The Nuvi is showing 2.94 free of 3.62 Gb and the SD card is showing 3.95 free of 7.27 Gb, so if I had taken off the unnecessary stuff it probably would have fitted on the Nuvi, but at least it proves that it rolls over automatically when space dictates and doesn't just grind to a half!!

By the way - my "file system" shows FAT 32 on both the Nuvi and the SD card, but I note that on the screen shot from Kremmen it shows "Generic hierarchical", also both of mine show "Type: removable disk", and Kremmen shows "Description: Internal Storage" which I presume are just the way the different pc's report matters in "Computer"?

cheers

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a photo of it with the line showing? I assume you can't take a screenshot the normal way? Should be under Tools, Settings, Display I think?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a screenshot from Win7 64bit Windows Explorer. The unit shows up as a Nuvi device down the bottom of my normal drives.

The internal storage is the first level folder under that. I think the latest Nuvi's have a different storage method. I can't see the .system folder as a result even though I'm showing Windows system, protected and hidden files by default.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest nuvis work in mtp rather than mass storage mode. The 2 modes show differently in Explorer.

You can set the latest nuvis to mass storage mode, mine are, as I prefer them that way but the idea of mtp mode is to stop folks 'fiddling' and creating problems for themselves, in particular it hides the .system folder whatever you set in Windows Very Happy
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Take a photo of it with the line showing? I assume you can't take a screenshot the normal way? Should be under Tools, Settings, Display I think?

thanks Sussamb

I have followed the piece above, and taken a screenshot, but where is it on the Nuvi/sd card, and how do I put it on here?

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough I think it's in a folder named Screenshots, although I can't confirm that for your model. As for posting you need to upload it to something like photobox and then post a link here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: