Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CN EU 2015.40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CN EU 2015.40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wizzardoz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
How much space is on your hard drive? Express needs 13Gb of free space. If there isn't you'll get that error.

Tried again early this morning - all ok with 2015.40 maps. Space on Garmin is now less than 0.5mb! SD card is empty at 16Gb.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not much space. You could move the JCV folder which contains the junction view files from your nuvi to the card. That would then give you enough free space on the nuvi.
Wizzardoz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
That's not much space. You could move the JCV folder which contains the junction view files from your nuvi to the card. That would then give you enough free space on the nuvi.

If I move the JVC files to the SD card, will Garmin still see that folder? Is there a way for me to "force" Garmin to use the SD card instead?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll automatically read them off the card. On your model they need to be a folder named Garmin\JCV
Wizzardoz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
It'll automatically read them off the card. On your model they need to be a folder named Garmin\JCV

Although they are in System\JCV folder on the 2699 itself?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. It's different on the card.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
@inspiredron

MapInstall only installs maps so you'll need to manually delete the one you don't want.

As for the basemap nothing will touch that, it is what it is.

NOT TRUE in my experience. It appears that the latest version of MapInstall works in a different way depending on whether used with NTU maps or NT maps.
Latest generation devices use NTU maps and MapInstall will only install and not delete the previous maps - that is what happened with updating my 2598.

This morning I connected my 760 to update that. The first thing that I noticed is that whereas previous updates to my760 had recognised the same map that I had used for the 2598, this time the latest version seen was 2014.40 which was the latest NT map on my PC. I downloaded the 2015.40 NT map which was VERY quick - it must have piggybacked off 2016.40NTU and once I had done that I was able to use MapInstall to update my 760 with MY selection of the map tiles WITHOUT DELETING ANYTHING.

So Mapinstall will UPDATE NT maps but only INSTALL NTU maps.

I cannot believe that Garmin intended this!

As far as the base map is concerned, there is no resaon why that could not be a part of the update process, either in maps or software but I agree that it is a totally different (and small file) - interestingly exhibiting no creation date in its properties.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it may have seemed like that but that is not how the update process works. Each 'map update' is a completely fresh install. What should happen (but for various reasons may not) is that the program (either MapUpdater or Express) will delete the original map that's loaded. MapInstall may do that too depending what options you've chosen, but even so the new map is a fresh install.

What may have confused you is that the update process downloads the files which are used to compile the .img map (the one that is eventually sent to your nuvi) so having downloaded them for the update of your 2598 they were already resident on your PC, which is why the update of your 760 appeared VERY quick.

The basemap is simply not updated, and never has been. Occasionally you may find newer nuvis have a different version, but older ones are never updated. The basemap is only there to assist you should you go outside of the area covered by your detailed maps, and is quite a poor map, with only major roads and towns. You can see what it looks like if you deselect CN EU on your nuvi. What you then see will be the basemap.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - I am not confused - I have had Garmins for many years and regularly updated so I am aware that, this time whay happened was diffreent and, more to the point INCONSIsTENT between the 2598 and the 760.
I am very aware that the dowload process places a large nunber of img files on the PC - either temporarily if Device only is specified, or permanently if you ask for PC as well or instead.
With the 2598 I left the SD card in situ as I have done with all the updates to this device - at least 3 prevous NTU updates. Instead of deleting the 2015.30 and installing 2015.40 it put the new map on the SD card and left the old one on the device -Seems a bit odd (or maybe not to you?).
I had the img files on the PC so removed the SD card and tried using MapInstall to do what I wanted. It refused as there were only a few hundred Mb left on the device. I had updated BaseMap so tried that (which uses MapInstall) - same problem. It is ABSURD for a user to have to go int MSM to show .System to manually delete maps so I restarted Express and, with the SD card removed did a new install. It appeared to ignore the img files already downloaded and took just as long to download as it did on my first attempt (I'm talking about just download and ignoring the map indexing and transferring in both cases - download is about 3 hours on my 2Mb connection).

Today, with the 760, I quiockly discovered that I needed an NT mapset not an NTU. Express downloaded that in about 15 minutes, much like previous experience of updating the 760 after the 2598 (and I do know that NT maps are ony updated twice a year). Obviously it then spent an hour producing the integrated map and transferring it. In that process it DID, CONTRARY TO YOUR ASSERTION, delete the old map, which is of course not in a hidden folder, so it may be that the latest version of MapInstall cannot delete files in .System but can delete files in Garmin

So, YES, I do understand the basic processes involved and in my case they appear to have changed and to be INCONSISTENT between NTU and NT or between 2598 and 760.

Maybe I was unlucky and there was a glitch somewhere - hence my original post asking if anyone else has noticed the different behaviour.

I have sent an email support request to Garmin asking that they look at the issue and, potentially, patch MapInstall to delete the old map for new devices just as it plainly does for old devices.

And, as a kick in the tail, when I connected my 760 to the PC after it had acquired its satellites it threw up a message that CNEurope NT2015.40 is more than a year out of date - EH????? At least it only did that once!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well like you I've used Garmin's for years and am a mod on the Garmin forums. I'll resist the urge to argue your points, if you believe you're correct then that's fine by me.

However just note I didn't say Express doesn't delete maps, I said it should but for various reasons might not Wink

If it can it will delete them regardless of whether they are in .system, Garmin or Map, either on the nuvi itself or the sd card.

The problem generally comes when folks have either manually renamed or moved their map files, so Express then won't delete them since it can't tell whether that move/renaming was intentional or not. I think you'd agree we wouldn't want Express simply deleting any map it could find.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let us get into bitching at each other. If I have used capitals in places that is merely to emphasise particular aspects of my experience.

I think it should be reasonably clear from my earlier comments in this thread that I do not meddle with map files. I was tempted to solve my problem of the non deletion of the 2015.30 map by going into MSM mode and manually deleting but, as I said, I did not do that and tried a reinstall after removing the SD card and that worked, albeit with the time penalty of APPARENTLY downloading the image files from the Garmin server a second time.

You did not mention that Express does not delete maps - you related that comment to MapInstall (which BaseCamp implicitly uses) and it was to MapInstall that I referred. And it is MapInstall that has given me inconsistent results.

So - No - I have not meddled with map files, No - I have not moved any map files and I agree that no application should mess with files whose provenance it cannot trace - hence I might expect the problem that I experienced if I was trying to install a different subset of the full map.

Feel absolutely free to disbelieve my account as you appear to do - I have given a clear account of what happened and in what circumstances and was merely asking whether it was the experience of anyone else. Clearly it did not happen to you and I can accept that. If it has happened to nobody else then I can only deduce that when I left the device alone for a few hours, at some stage it offered an option which I was not available to elect and therefore used a default. But that still does not explain why MapInstall is happy to overwrite a map file on the 760 but not on the 2598.

I remain mystified and will follow up with Garmin Support.
I will post any helpful response.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sussamb
I have just reviewed previous posts and noticed that you refer to "Map Updater". Is that a current program? I remember Lifetime Map Updater but I thought it had been superceded by Express. I assumed that, because Express is regularly updated (rather like Garmin communicator used to be - if you go back that far) the old versions would not work any more.
Best regards
Ron
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MapUpdater came earlier. Garmin then introduced Lifetime Map Updater which never really worked well. It has now been superseded by Express, which was meant to replace both MapUpdater/Lifetime Map Updater and WebUpdater (which updated software).

Both MapUpdater and WebUpdater are still around though and many still prefer to use them. Having said that I've used Express since it came out and with one exception haven't had any issues with it.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
You did not mention that Express does not delete maps - you related that comment to MapInstall (which BaseCamp implicitly uses) and it was to MapInstall that I referred. And it is MapInstall that has given me inconsistent results.

Then I got confused as you seemed to switch between the two so I assumed you simply didn't know the difference Laughing

Most users wouldn't know that Basecamp launches MapInstall and that it can be used to install maps FROM your computer to your nuvi or other satnav/GPS (yet another Garmin program to confuse folks). It does though rely on the maps having been installed to the computer in the first place and available in Basecamp. It's not therefore the normal route to simply 'update' maps on a nuvi Wink

To muddy the waters further MapInstall can be launched without going through Basecamp.
graham47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a fundamental difference between the maps in the higher Nuvis and the low end models?
Reason I ask is that I have a Nuvi 55 LMT-D and, although Express tells me I have map updates, it continually fails after about 20 mins which is incredibly frustrating.
I have tried installing and using Maploader but it tells me I don't have a "previous version" to install over.
In addition Express wil not update from 4.05.

I'd forgotten how incredibly bad Garmin's infrastructure was.
Compare with Smartphone sat av apps & it's night and day as regards updating.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: