Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - First post - asking advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

First post - asking advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vidman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: First post - asking advice Reply with quote

HI, This is my first post.

It seems that the PocketGPS DB cannot be loaded onto the VW Discover Navigation system in my Golf so I need to buy a separate device which will take the DB but which I will not need to use as a navigation unit.

I do not have a Smart Phone so am looking to buy a cheap GPS unit I can load the DB on but have no idea which unit would be best for my purpose. All I need is a unit which will give timely and loud warnings of camera locations. I assume that if I do not enter a route/destination most units will not give navigation advice, but will they still give me Camera warnings.

Ideally the unit would be small and easily hidden/disguised so I would not need to keep removing it to avoid temptation to the light fingered brigade.

Not a lot to ask I know but there is no where else to seek advice

Thanks in advance
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the budget Garmin nuvi's would probably suffice.

2012's "nuvi 30" is a basic model, or one of this years 'nuvi Essential' models.

MaFt
vidman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
One of the budget Garmin nuvi's would probably suffice.

2012's "nuvi 30" is a basic model, or one of this years 'nuvi Essential' models.

MaFt

Thanks for the suggestion, on looking further into this I see problem with my idea of a hidden GPS giving me verbal/sound warnings. Unless I can see the indicator on the screen how can I be sure the alert would be for the road I am on and not simply close by.

Also does the DB/device only only give a single audio alert, or would it give repeated alerts as you get closer to the camera site - if so then this would overcome the problem.

I currently have a very old RoadAngel with a lifetime update licence but their DB is poor missing a lot of sites, but it does give increasingly loud and urgent warnings as you approach the camera site. Is there a GPS which would do this with the PocketGPS DB.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vidman wrote:
does the DB/device only only give a single audio alert, or would it give repeated alerts as you get closer to the camera site - if so then this would overcome the problem.
===
I currently have a very old RoadAngel ... it does give increasingly loud and urgent warnings as you approach the camera site. Is there a GPS which would do this with the PocketGPS DB.

Not that I know of.... all the brands I know will just give a single alert (at whatever distance from the camera you choose to set).

But one way around the problem which I know some other people have done, is to load the PGPSW database TWICE (renaming the files so they don't overwrite eachother). Then you can set up TWO sets of alerts, one happening earlier than the other.

For example, you could either set up two complete "speed-zoned" sets of the database, or have the speed-zoned data AND the "consolidated by type" or the "single file" version as well, using whichever you prefer as the first and second warnings.

Exact details on how to do it would depend on which brand you choose to buy, but that should be possible on any of the major ones like Garmin or TomTom.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
vidman wrote:
or would it give repeated alerts as you get closer to the camera site - if so then this would overcome the problem.
Not that I know of.... all the brands I know will just give a single alert (at whatever distance from the camera you choose to set).
Do not Garmins give repeated warnings. I think that Kremen has gone to great lengths to suppress the repeated warnings.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they do if you're over the limit as you approach the camera or within the zone, at least they do on my 1310, 1490 and 2508.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY APOLOGIES! (too wrapped up in the TomTom world and other 'real-life' problems... Crying or Very sad )
vidman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally bit the bullet and bought a TomTom Start25 on special offer from Halfords - came with a free high capacity charger for £99 - and signed up to PocketGPS.

Still getting to grips with the settings, I am getting spoken and sound warnings for fixed cameras but just sounds for Mobiles and Average speed cameras.

All cameras are set the same - for short voice - but I get no voice warnings for anything other than Fixed Gatsos. Am I setting something wrong? any advice please.

Is there any conflict with the standard TomTom gatso warnings??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: