Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 3.03 but still BT lockups on 2210
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

3.03 but still BT lockups on 2210
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: 3.03 but still BT lockups on 2210 Reply with quote

I have loaded the TTN3.03 (non-traffic) updates to my 2210 but still suffer the same BT freeze/lockup when POI enabled.

I am running checkpoint (2) with the maps on SD card and hard reset before updating to latest version.

TomTom told me that early signs suggest this update solved most peoples problems.

Is it just me or are others still having problems?
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem could be the sd card. try installing maps on cf card instead and give it a go. i had experienced lots of problems when i had maps installed on sd card. moving to cf card solved all these problems for me.
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are there any known cases of BT problems when the maps are on a CF card? If not, I might change my order and get a CF card instread of an SD Confused

Reading threads like this can magnify how how big a problem is, i.e. it appears like everyone is having problems - does anyone know how wide spread the problem with the h2210 and BT actually is? i.e. What are the odds that I will have problems when my kit arrives?

Smile
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've read somewhere on this thread that cf cards have less cpu load than sd cards, and that on the 2210, bt drops on very high cpu load.

i install all my softwares into the cf card, except for those required in the today screen. i've reserved my sd slot for mp3 and sdio wlan. i only have 4mb storage space used from the main memory. i have allotted 44mb to programs, and 12mb to storage. this gives tomtom a lot of breathing space.
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a kiss of death for me, but in the spirit of co-operation here goes:

I have not seen BT lockups, and I am running a 2210 with TomTom Bluetooth receiver. I only use the PDA for navigation, so I have little else installed. Maps of GB, Major European Roads and Western Europe (France, Switzerland and NW Italy) installed (only GB and France used so far) on a 1Gb PQI 40x CF card (ebuyer.co.uk). TTN 3.04T, GPS 3.0.3, Nokia 6310i. Reading the forums here has just about convinced me of CF superiority over SD for TomTom, and of faster CF cards.

I've seen a couple of glitches recently, nothing like as bad as 3.00.

Only remaining issue for me is having to do Update Traffic Info (from the menus, not tapping the ticker bar) twice to get TTN getting traffic (it always declares it cannot connect to TomTom traffic the first time, doesn't even bother to set up a GPRS connection).

Neil
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, your the one with the a4 3.0 quattro tomtom car kit install in the reader mounts? we have too much in common. i saw you have the a4 (though 3.0 quattro, mine's a mere 1.8T fwd), ipaq2210, nokia6310i, and the tomtom car kit. then you say you have 1gb pqi 40x cf card. that's the one i have too! 8O

(sorry... off topic) Embarassed
SPY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand a CF card may be a solution but having spent a small fortune on this setup already I don't want to throw good money after bad if it turns out to be no better.

I had planned to add a CF Wlan card. Is there any drawbacks or benefits to using CF cards as opposed to D for storage?

iPAQ 2210 1.10 Holux GR-230 BT TTN 3.03 Checkpoint 2
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPY, One thing you might try would be installing a regional map, one of the 16Mb segments on your SD card andthen in iPAQ RAM to see if you get lockups with that. Depending on what you experience you may be able to conclude the SD card is giving you the problems - if you get lockups on SD but not on RAM. Then, lean on a mate for a lend of a CF card. That's what I did before buying my PQI CF card Smile

(Off topic) a4ace, sorry but I'm not the A4 3.0 Quattro guy from readers mounts, although I have run two A4s in the past (both diesels). Defected to BMW 5-Series in 2001. Looks like you found a sweet spot for mounting the GPS in an A4 saloon, I like it.

Neil
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, well as my order is out of stock and not yet dispatched, I'm going to phone them and change to a CF card - got nothing to loose, and its a fiver cheaper Thumbs Up

So, has the h2210 got two card slots or does the one in the top take SD and CF? Confused
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP 2210 has 2 slots, front slot is SD. The rear is, that is covered by a blanking plate is the CF.

TomTom support have told me only to use SD cards for storage but I do hear the real world issues with certain SD reliablity. The general consensus can be more relaible

BTW I'm using a Kingston 512 SD card quite happily.... only issues down to my stupidity!

Bye...
SatMap
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What reason did TomTom say to only use SD?
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT support guy mentioned that it was the speed that was required..

That did differ from the Forum feed back though. It was the first question he asked, "you're not using a CF card are you?" . When a probed further I was told it was their preferred 'method they support'. I suspect that if you differ then you can give them a get out.

As I said in the earlier posting my 512 SD card works fine, and it is from China not Japan!
SatMap
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll stick to the SD then. I can always get an CF later as a last resort if I have problems and use the SD for mp3 as someone has already suggested.

Smile
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the speed of the flash card is the crucial thing here. Perhaps a wise sage on here would like to comment on the following thoughts:

In the beginning there was CF, and it was good, but slow.
And then came SD, it was better, faster and more expensive.
At last TomTom arrives and decides SD is the way, as it is faster.
But, not all SD is created equal, some is not fast enough.
Finally, CF catches up and some cards overtake SD for speed.

In my view then, from what I have read the order of preference would be:

1. A fast CF card (I have used 256Mb and 1Gb PQI 40x on 2210 with no lockups)
2. A "known good on 2210" SD card (Panasonic seems good, others may be relabelled stuff from all over Asia)
3. A CF of medium (8x - 12x) speed
99. A "bog standard" Sandisk SD card (these seem to have loads of issues) Confused

Given that getting the right stuff for option 2 can be tricky and it's more expensive, makes (for me) option 1 a better bet. Except that it ties up your CF slot so you can't (say) use a WiFi card at the same time.

Neil
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I'm getting - how can I tell if its any good?

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=1286

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: