Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newby - with a few questions....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newby - with a few questions....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigertone2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Newby - with a few questions.... Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new so please be gentle.....
I arrived here by accident - until now, I've used stand-alone devices (the original Road Angel followed by a Novus Rider and finally a cheetah C50 which I returned after 2 days). Looking around for an alternative, I considered an Inforad and delving deeper, discovered they used to use your database - this led to me visiting your site out of curiosity and now, here I am all signed up!
I'd had enough of so-called lifetime updates proving useless when devices died or suppliers went bust and reasoned that it was time I bought a new satnav anyway and worth spending an extra £20 to subscribe to PGW - having done so, I was surprised to see my existing ancient Streetpilot i3 listed in your compatible list - I've downloaded the 'camera database to it which leads me to my 2 questions: the first concerns file types - I understand 'consolidated by type' but please could someone explain what 'speedzoned complete' is? The second question is about voice packs - I included these in the download but my Streetpilot is maintaining its silence - was I expecting too much from such an old and simple device?
I've gone ahead and bought a new satnav as well - a Nuvi 52LM (suckered into those 'lifetime updates' again!) - it comes with a 'Cyclops' 'camera database (whatever that is) but I'm assuming I can simply switch that off and download the PGW one instead - should the voicepacks work on this unit?
Please forgive the basic nature of my questions - I'm no techie and like to keep things simple!

Thanks in advance
TT2000
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby - with a few questions.... Reply with quote

First of all: WELCOME!

Tigertone2000 wrote:
I was surprised to see my existing ancient Streetpilot i3 listed in your compatible list - I've downloaded the 'camera database to it

I have one of those rounders-balls too Smile

Tigertone2000 wrote:
which leads me to my 2 questions: the first concerns file types - I understand 'consolidated by type' but please could someone explain what 'speedzoned complete' is?

Speed-Zoned is basically that the camera types are further broken down into speed - eg instead of all the Mobiles in a single file you would have 30mph mobile file, 40mph mobile file, 50mph mobile file etc etc... Some devices need this if you want different warnings for different speeds. However, Garmin are clever and it will work fine on the Consolidated version. The only benefit on Garmins to the speed zoned files is that it will give you a different speed limit icon for the camera - however, the speed will be shown at the top anyway.

Tigertone2000 wrote:
The second question is about voice packs - I included these in the download but my Streetpilot is maintaining its silence - was I expecting too much from such an old and simple device?

Pretty much, yes. The voice packs won't work, as far as I am aware, with the i3. If they do then you would need to use the .wav file version anyway and make sure that you have sox.exe in the POILoader program folder.

Tigertone2000 wrote:
I've gone ahead and bought a new satnav as well - a Nuvi 52LM (suckered into those 'lifetime updates' again!) - it comes with a 'Cyclops' 'camera database (whatever that is) but I'm assuming I can simply switch that off and download the PGW one instead - should the voicepacks work on this unit?

Cyclops are a competitor to us - they make a speed camera database too. You can either physically delete it or you can disable it in the settings. Again - voice files will work but you need the .wav version. Sox.exe can be got from here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/downloads/sox.zip

If you get stuck with anything just give us a shout Smile

I've also moved the topic to the Garmin-specific forum where you might get more views!

MaFt
Tigertone2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Sox (was Newby - with a few questions...) Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and answers to my questions - it's appreciated.
I downloaded Sox and added it to my POILoader program folder followed by a test download to my old Streetpilot - only to discover that Sox seems to have caused a massive growth in the download file size making it too large for the Streetpilot to handle! (I've not yet tried it with my Nuvi 52LM) Is this correct and is there any way around this? At the moment, it looks like I have to delete Sox before updating the Streetpilot in order to get a file download of a size it can handle but re-install it when I want to download to the Nuvi (assuming the Nuvi will cope with the larger download file) Once again, thanks in advance.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sox (was Newby - with a few questions...) Reply with quote

Tigertone2000 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome and answers to my questions - it's appreciated.
I downloaded Sox and added it to my POILoader program folder followed by a test download to my old Streetpilot - only to discover that Sox seems to have caused a massive growth in the download file size making it too large for the Streetpilot to handle!

Yep - that's expected - you're embedding a load of (uncompressed) wav audio files into the data Smile

Tigertone2000 wrote:
(I've not yet tried it with my Nuvi 52LM) Is this correct and is there any way around this? At the moment, it looks like I have to delete Sox before updating the Streetpilot in order to get a file download of a size it can handle but re-install it when I want to download to the Nuvi (assuming the Nuvi will cope with the larger download file) Once again, thanks in advance.

No, just leave sox there. but only download include the audio files in the folder when you want to use them Smile

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: