Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Call For More 20mph Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Call For More 20mph Speed Cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Crap....
I do more than 20mph on my pushbike.

Is that relevant Wink

Yeah, it is!
Cyclists can be done for speeding just like any other road user.

DennisN wrote:
Over 20mph on a push bike is tempting the limits of controllability with most riders.

I think many of my cycling friends would heartily disagree with you there, Dennis.
It's also fairly self-regulating, if you can't do over 20mph safely on a bike, you probably can't do it at all.

DennisN wrote:

There is nothing wrong with a global change. Make everywhere 20mph where 30mph currently applies.

Sorry, *I* heartily disagree with you there.
SOME places, like real residential streets, could certainly sensibly be made 20mph, but if every 30mph road was reduced it would be awful and probably cause traffic chaos.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Over 20mph on a push bike is tempting the limits of controllability with most riders.

I think many of my cycling friends would heartily disagree with you there, Dennis.
It's also fairly self-regulating, if you can't do over 20mph safely on a bike, you probably can't do it at all.

You quoted your own ability to do 20mph on a pushbike as an objection to a 20mph speed limit. Only competent riders who do over 20mph have the ability to control their bikes, the rest are all over the place and any emergency action will put them on the floor if they're lucky, but under a heavier road user as often as not. These incompetent riders make me cringe as they sag over their saddles, rattling away feverishly in bottom gear on the flat, their trainers pushing away on the instep, with rusty chains and goodness knows what dirty brake pads. Over 20mph down a sharp hill they'll be so uncontrollable they are a danger to anything else on the road.

Competent at 20mph is somebody who can average it over a 10 or 15 mile time trial - takes some doing - that was my standard 60 years ago, consistent "evens" we called it. 10 miles in 30 mins, 15 miles in 45 mins. Bike and rider stripped down. NOT somebody on his or her way to work with designer jeans tucked into socks.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

if every 30mph road was reduced it would be awful and probably cause traffic chaos.

I dread to think of it, it's bad enough with the current 30mph limits.

Here we go. I appreciate I have selectively edited the above quotes, but they do now demonstrate the ethos which needs to be addressed.

Should there be speed limits and if so, why? The argument of causing dread or chaos can be applied by somebody to remove every single speed limit, then we can all rush everywhere at our own speed, really only limited by the capability of our vehicle and our own self-confidence. That's where *I* foresee chaos.

Devil take the hindmost (or the innocent residents who will have to be born one side of any road and never cross to the other - still, on the bright side, it'll lead to a lot more corner shops!).

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And undertakers Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. The only think which affects undertakers is the birth rate which provides a steady stream of trade - they're gonna get us all eventually irrespective of the speed limits. Although I suppose with no speed limits, they could all get to the boneyard that much faster.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: