Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT BROADBAND (Wireless).
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT BROADBAND (Wireless).
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: BT BROADBAND (Wireless). Reply with quote

About a year ago I signed up to BT High Speed Broadband - up to 79Mbps. Using http://www.speedtest.net/ I was getting around 30 or so Mbps, quite fast and I was happy with this. However, as time went by I found I was getting a lot of 'drop-outs' and often, late at night, the speed would drop to around 16Mbps.

I complained and went round in circles until I e-mailed the CEO. Things got moving and I was given a 'personal' rep to deal with my problem.

He said to be able to get the fastest speed I would need an Ethernet cable, as there was always a 'loss' over wireless. He would send me a cable to see if there was an improvement. I said I would need one 15 metre long to reach from one end of the room to the other, taking into account interior walls. They don't have one this long so he suggested...

We do have another solution known as Power Line networking, which would route the network connection through your internal electrical wiring (avoiding any wireless interference).

Two 'plugs' duly arrived and I connected them to the mains, one end a cable from Modem to plug, the other the plug to the computer.

Now getting 58.44Mbps download and 9.44Mbps upload.

If anyone else using BT wireless and experiencing slow speeds I would suggest they ask for Power Line networking kit. After all, you are paying for higher speed and should be getting it.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to make sure your laptop or wireless device is wireless N for the increased speeds. I had to upgrade drivers and buy dongles to make the most of my speed increase, it was stuck at 20mb before.

Also, off topic a bit. Try your mobile phone with sim in and see what speed you get. Then either take the sim out or put in flight mode and activate wireless and see the speed difference!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had all the correct gear for wireless but still had problems until the 'plugs' arrived.

Evidently you can lose around 50% of speed going wireless and 25% via the house mains. To get full advantage I would have to go wired but even if I could get one 15 metres long there would still be a loss and I'd never get the full 79Mbps that is reaching my house.

The only answer is to move the computer to the other end of the room and use maybe a metre long cable.

only 14% of National and 11% of Global have a faster connection, according to http://www.speedtest.net/

As for testing with the mobile phone. Mine is so old it works on North Sea Gas. Razz
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you established that you are getting "79Mbs to your house"? It is extremely unusual to get the "up to" speed.

You could try moving the computer temporarily and try the wired connection with a short network cable. If any increased speed is worth the effort, which I doubt, you could probably get your local computer shop to knock you up a 15M cable at a modest cost.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really upset with BT. I was told I could get up to 60MB. In reality I get 65-75MB 24 hours a day. I was also told I would get 17MB upload speed but it's frequently above 20MB. It's awful Wink

Seriously though, I didn't realise BT offered the powerline adapters. Might have to pester them for some of these for the PC in the attic - the WiFi reaches OK but they don't need to know that ;)

MaFt
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How have you established that you are getting "79Mbs to your house"? It is extremely unusual to get the "up to" speed.

Downloaded a BT Desktop help and it tests the speed in and what you are getting at the computer. Having said that, since I recently purchased Windows 7 it will only work on wireless. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
I was really upset with BT. I was told I could get up to 60MB. In reality I get 65-75MB 24 hours a day. I was also told I would get 17MB upload speed but it's frequently above 20MB. It's awful Wink

I hate MaFt Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Might have to pester them for some of these for the PC in the attic

Good luck with that, they do work although you may have to settle for 58Mbps. Wink
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big test with power cable bridges is how is your data affected when you run a few "dirty" devices at the same time (spin cycle on washing machine, hoover, cheap fan etc). It was never designed for data.

As noted, buy or get a cable made up. You can do 100m from router to PC. Cat5 is rated upto 100Mb/s and Cat6 1,000Mb/s if your router and PC card can handle it. I'm surprised you haven't done structured cabling throughout the house MaFt. Laughing

Stuck on 8Mb but at least that's all I'm paying for. I have saved a result from the speedtest app showing 38Kb/s from when the line was faulty. Evil or Very Mad

Gerry
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
I'm surprised you haven't done structured cabling throughout the house MaFt. Laughing

I considered it once for shelf an hour. My oldest brother hard wired his house when he re-wired it. Our old house was an 1840 stone-built cottage so there would have been no easy route to feed the cables without too much disruption. I settled for an expensive router that handled the stone walls really well - even up to the attic!

We moved house at the end of last year and to be honest even with BTs own router the wifi is fast enough up to the attic so I just can't be bothered hard-wiring it all!

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Virgin broadband is up to 60MB. I get consistently 62, but the upload is steadily around 2.85. Upload used to be a bit above 3 before I upgraded to 60MB. Should I be grumbling at them?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would complain Dennis, upload should surely be faster than that. Mine's around the 9 Mbps.

I notice you say 60MB, as in megabytes, figures are usually in megabits. i.e 60Mbps.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
I would complain Dennis, upload should surely be faster than that. Mine's around the 9 Mbps.

I notice you say 60MB, as in megabytes, figures are usually in megabits. i.e 60Mbps.

He's an old man - he won't have a chuffin' clue what you just said there!! Laughing Out Loud Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on MaFt. That Speedtest.net thing shows 62 thingies download and less than 3 upload. I don't know what they are, they start with either M or m.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the 'M' thingy that counts, it's the 'B' thingy. A B thingy is eight timed bigger than a 'b' thingy.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A B thingy is eight timed bigger than a 'b' thingy.

Therefore Dennis a B thingy would be 8 times faster than a b thingy .

The M thingy stands for Mega whereas m thingy would stand for milli as in mW meaning milliWatts.

Not only that €=mc2 but only when there is a B, b, M or m in the month except leap years.

There you have it.

All so simple really. Razz
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the question boils down to... Is Dennis a big "B" or a little "b"? Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: