Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5000 or 6000 does it have option to Bluetooth tether?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5000 or 6000 does it have option to Bluetooth tether?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philip_de
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: TomTom 5000 or 6000 does it have option to Bluetooth tether? Reply with quote

Hi

I know the 600/500 TomTom's are designed to tether to a smart phone for data and do away with the SIM/GSM bits. This seems like a good idea given 2G is often problematic and slow (found this with my 540 in the last year or so) and isn't going to get any more investment by the mobile companies.

Ideally TomTom would include 3G but they don't. Sad

Thinking about the best of both worlds, does the 6000/5000 that includes a SIM also allow tethering for data in addition to it's own 2G? This would give the convenience of having data built in but also allow for tethering for better data performance when wanted.

Regards

Phil
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new 500 and 6000 unit

From a few weeks experience with the 6000 (and the 500 since launch, connected to my phone), data connection seems to be almost instant with phone connection, but much faster than my previous Go 1000 on the new sim-always connected 6000 - much to my surprise

In fact, I prefer the 6000 as its switch on an forget

You cannot (at least at present) connect a 6000 or 5000 always connected unit to a phone
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
philip_de
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

xtraseller wrote:
I have a new 500 and 6000 unit

From a few weeks experience with the 6000 (and the 500 since launch, connected to my phone), data connection seems to be almost instant with phone connection, but much faster than my previous Go 1000 on the new sim-always connected 6000 - much to my surprise

In fact, I prefer the 6000 as its switch on an forget

You cannot (at least at present) connect a 6000 or 5000 always connected unit to a phone

Thank you for the information.

I do like the idea of just switching on and not needing to pair up to my mobile, but also fancied knowing it was somewhat future proofed and could be connected for data via a smart phone.

Decisions decisions.

Regards

Phil
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 5000 or 6000 does it have option to Bluetooth tet Reply with quote

philip_de wrote:
Hi

I know the 600/500 TomTom's are designed to tether to a smart phone for data and do away with the SIM/GSM bits. This seems like a good idea given 2G is often problematic and slow

OK I'm possibly showing my ignorance here, but isn't the data only being transmitted by TomTom and the phone companies on the 2G network?

So even if your phone can connect to 3G, isn't it still getting it's TomTom data via 2G only?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom 5000 or 6000 does it have option to Bluetooth tet Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
OK I'm possibly showing my ignorance here, but isn't the data only being transmitted by TomTom and the phone companies on the 2G network?

So even if your phone can connect to 3G, isn't it still getting it's TomTom data via 2G only?

The TomTom gets its data via an "internet" connection. In the built in system, that is via a 2G data connection, but if you use your phone it will use whatever your phone uses for internet, be it WiFi, 2G, 3G or 4G.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: