Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic radius limits in UK - just TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic radius limits in UK - just TomTom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhazel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Traffic radius limits in UK - just TomTom? Reply with quote

I understand that a limit for seeing Traffic problems was set by TomTom after the heavy snow in the UK in the Winter of 2010/11. The last I heard it was about 40mins or 100km.

Is this limit still in place for HD Traffic? Does it affect all TomTom units?

Is there a similar limit on Garmin Nuvi Digital Traffic?

I'd be grateful for answers to any of these questions. Ta.

Question
nhazel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really appreciate some help on this one, please. As I do a lot of travelling up and down the country, the traffic warning radius issue is key to my decision which device to buy.

Please Embarassed
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navcore 3 devices have a 40 minute horizon for traffic incidents on navcore 4 devices it seams to have a dynamic range depending on how severe the traffic incident is but i have had had a road closure pop up on the sat nav (tom-tom go 500) 104 miles in advance
nhazel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjay2412 wrote:
navcore 3 devices have a 40 minute horizon for traffic incidents on navcore 4 devices it seams to have a dynamic range depending on how severe the traffic incident

So, 2013 generation TomToms have a different traffic range to 2012 generation? Is that right?
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nhazel wrote:
cjay2412 wrote:
navcore 3 devices have a 40 minute horizon for traffic incidents on navcore 4 devices it seams to have a dynamic range depending on how severe the traffic incident

So, 2013 generation TomToms have a different traffic range to 2012 generation? Is that right?

I must admit I have seen discussions on this issue for some time now and I still do not fully understand this 40min limit. I have a 1005 Live and live in Northallerton North Yorkshire. Whenever I switch on my device and view the map after having received a gps fix I can see issues on the road as far north as Berwick and as far south as Sheffield significantly more than 40 minutes from home.

If I zoom in to the individual items they appear to show delays, queues as well as roadworks and road closures. So I am at a loss to understand what information I do not have outside of this 40 minute radius.

If I am travaelling the length of the country I check on TomTom website for major roadworks of closures that might make me choose a significantly different route, but as for incidents that occur after I have left home, it is more than likely that the situation will have changed long before I get anywhere near the range limit that I appear to have, and in my experience I have never had any real problem.

However, I would be greatful if anyone out there can clarify just exactly what information I might not have within my apparent range of 100 miles or so.

I have just looked at my screen and as of 11.00am 14/08/13 I can see incidents just south of Nottingham, significantly outside any 40 minute limit.

Alan
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunty1948 wrote:
but as for incidents that occur after I have left home, it is more than likely that the situation will have changed long before I get anywhere near.......
That's the sort of argument that TT themselves use. I suppose it does hold some water, as you have experienced.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Keynsham, (Bristol) I cannot see incidents in Birmingham or London, the boundary is before both of them.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up the Live services on my 120 when the free trial ran out. I now use a RDS-TMC cable and receive notifications of road closures 198 miles away. Much better than the 60 mile or so range I had before Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: