Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How widespread are "Real Navigation" and PhotoJunc
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How widespread are "Real Navigation" and PhotoJunc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhazel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: How widespread are "Real Navigation" and PhotoJunc Reply with quote

For UK users:

How widespread have you found the new "real navigation/directions" and PhotoReal Junction view? Confused

In my search for an updated satnav, these both sound like appealing features, but my cynical side says that I'll come across them once in a blue moon.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo real junctions are very common. My satnav doesn't do 'real directions' but I understand they're not very common ... but then it took a while for photoreal junctions to ramp up.
nhazel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sussamb. Are the Photo real junctions just for motorways and and dual carriageways or for things like roundabouts or other turns?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only ever seen junction views of any sort on dual carriageways or motorways. Lane assist though appears much more frequently including roundabouts, in town etc.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Photo-Real junctions on a few of the larger A roads like A30, A1 etc.

Those a pretty much motorways anyway Wink

MaFt
nhazel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

So, nobody has seen them on single carriage roads...

Question Erm, so, isn't that pretty much just where the lane assistance is, then?

Question Second question - do you actually find yourself using the PhotoReal Junction, or is it a bit of a gimmick that wears off quickly?
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't travel so much or widely these days but IME Lane Assist always occurs with PhotoReal Junction but PhotoReal Junction does not always occur with Lane Assist.

In some ways they could both be considered a bit of a gimmick. However if you don't know a junction, especially if complex and/or perhaps poorly signed, I've found both to be extremely useful.

My opinion is that they are a useful navigational aid.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I don't recall a junction where Junction View hasn't been accompanied by Lane Assist, but there are many junctions where you only get lane assist, and lane assist does occur on the less major routes.

All of satnav could be called a gimmick Wink but I find lane assist of more use than junction view, which on the earlier devices flashed up for only about 5 seconds as it was 'full screen'. Later devices show a 'split screen' view with junction view on one half and the normal map on the other, so the view stays on longer and is of more benefit.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen the photoreal junctions on Motorways and dual carriageways - can't recall any for single carriageways or roundabouts.

The new (2013) Garmins have an enhanced lane assist function which is slowly ramping up (more in 2014.10 than 2013.41 map files). Only seen these on Motorway intersections so far but then it took Garmin nearly 18 months to cover all Motorways for photoreal junctions.

Real Directions seems to be limited to "turn xxxx at the traffic lights or turn xxxx at the roundabout". I haven't heard a "Starbucks, McDonalds, Church" reference which Garmin publicity mentions. Coverage seems to be random with some parts of the country much better than others, again I guess coverage will improve over time. It's a gimmick really but does make a welcome change.
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like Junction View, it appears at the wrong time either too early or too late, it causes passengers to comment on it when I want to concentrate on driving. Occasionally it gives misleading information if there is a minor road leading off from the main road just prior to the required exit as the minor road is not shown that it is to be ignored.

And finally I do not like it because the image views take up valuable storage space in the device causing me to have to be more selective as to which part of the maps I load on the device.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hate the Junction view so much the easiest solution for you is to go into the System folder then the JCV folder and delete the main file and a .sum file if there is one.

This will stop the junction views appearing (lane assist will still work) and save you are 38b of space which you can use for maps instead :-)
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISTR that renaming the relevant files will result in JunctionView being disabled.

No idea if it works, or if it works for all devices.

Of course this should only be attempted after suitable backups have been made - ones that can be restored safely!
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruit

You could rename but I advised to cwog to delete the files (always make a backup first if you wish/need to restore at a later date) as he stated that the file takes up space which compromises that available for the main mapping data.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are real directions for London....so far I heard two coming out of London the other day

Keep left at the Swiss Cottage Pub
Turn left at the Esso Petrol Station

Aside from that there are lots of "turn at the traffic light". I also heard "Enter the tunnel"

The Traffic can be quite specific too (Digital Traffic) with things like "There is a signal failure reported at Mill Hill Circus. There are no reported delays"
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know.

I've heard some very specific traffic instructions including reasons for delay (fire, overturned vehicle) but haven't heard much beyond traffic light, junction and roundabout but I daresay 2014.20 maps will add more when they are released - hopefully in the next week or so.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: