Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Speed Camera Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Speed Camera Alerts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DjK4Yahweh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Mobile Speed Camera Alerts Reply with quote

Hi All,

Am I right in saying that one advantages of Tomtom's speed camera live service over PGPS's Cameralert is that it provides info on newly reported mobile cameras more effectively, automatically over the air in real time, on the same day to all connected devices?
i.e. to my samasung galaxy note2 using Tomtom's Android satnav app.

Where as with Cameralert I would only get the info on newly reported mobile cameras when I manually update on my smartphone?

Also PGPS World only releases a new update once every 7 days.

Thanks
Kiri
www.reverbnation.com/DjK4Yahweh
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Tomtom set to alert to mobile vans for more than 12 months now - not one warning!
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile Speed Camera Alerts Reply with quote

DjK4Yahweh wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks
Kiri

No, you can update your mobile every 10 mins if you want to. Every time MaFt changes one of the cameras and it appears on the main database then it is available to be downloaded onto CA on a mobile device.

The weekly update, as far as I know is only for the dedicated PNDs.

Some people update their mobiles every day or even a couple of times a day.

Quick edit by me.

I think I have that more or less right.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile Speed Camera Alerts Reply with quote

DjK4Yahweh wrote:
Am I right in saying that one advantages of Tomtom's speed camera live service over PGPS's Cameralert is that it provides info on newly reported mobile cameras more effectively, automatically over the air in real time, on the same day to all connected devices?
i.e. to my samasung galaxy note2 using Tomtom's Android satnav app.
Pardon me laughing. You have to smile at the way TomTom's hype marketing fools some of the people all of the time - See Guivre46's comment. There was a time when they used to do this - they circulated any reports from users of mobile cameras actually operating - the end result was they reported a mobile operating at a particular location, but left it there for several days instead of clearing it off after a few hours. But they've stopped doing that nowadays I think. With the end result that they have very few mobile camera sites (where mobiles might be operating at any time). Their hype also suggests they update ALL cameras over the air in real time!!!

DjK4Yahweh wrote:
Where as with Cameralert I would only get the info on newly reported mobile cameras when I manually update on my smartphone?
True, you have to manually update - on my iPhone that takes 4 taps of the screen, which I do on my driveway each morning whilst my separate TomTom satnav is firing itself up and finding satellites and servers and stuff - CamerAlert finishes first.

DjK4Yahweh wrote:
Well, that's true for non-smartphones. In fact, the Android and iPhone App is being updated every day throughout the day and your smartphone (Android) can download the latest complete database any time you like - in addition to updating on my driveway each morning, I can easily do it again anywhere, any time I like - services, burger van, McDonalds, you name it, just requires a 3G or a lovely free Wi-Fi signal and away you go, four taps and done. Do it yourself right now and take note of the number of cameras you have - alongside the Database version on Device is a bracketed figure which will change when you download a new database.

The negatives of TomTom camera database is that it is inaccurate and not up to date. Do yourself a favour and run both databases together and prove to yourself which is the more accurate.

By the way, what warning does your TomTom system give for an approaching camera? What warning for mobile 70mph, for fixed 30mph, for average speed 50mph. On my TomTom satnav, it beeps. On my iPhone, pgpsw CamerAlert tells me (nice lady speaks real words) the camera type and the speed it operates at. And for average speed cameras, it constantly (and accurately) monitors and displays my average speed.

Taking TomTom's inaccuracies, huge delays in adding up to date information to the database and a little ping that tells me nothing, I really can't understand why anybody with access to pgpsw CamerAlert even has the TomTom cameras switched on. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As 253 says, CamerAlert downloads from our live database - the weekly update reminder is, for CamerAlert, just a reminder to update. Whenever you download in the app you will get the most current database.

As for live mobiles, when you approach a mobile you get the tick and cross come up so you can say whether they are in use or not. Once we've jumped through Apple's current hoops the plan is to have an 'active mobiles' alert like the one you describe.

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now for a short answer...

The benefit of the TT cameras is that TT say they are updated without user participation, so the user who doesn't know a computer's base from its apex can sit back, confident that TT are taking care of it all.

The disadvantage is that the database doesn't match the hype.

Sort of like an automatic watch which tells the time without you ever needing to wind it up, but runs fast or slow or tells the time three hours adrift.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Once we've jumped through Apple's current hoops the plan is to have an 'active mobiles' alert like the one you describe.
So why not jump through fewer hoops and get it working on andriod Laughing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
MaFt wrote:
Once we've jumped through Apple's current hoops the plan is to have an 'active mobiles' alert like the one you describe.

I was thinking that as well Smile
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
MaFt wrote:

I was thinking that as well Smile

Although, having said that, is is actually easier?? There are so many different versions of Android on so many different phones.
No script monkey, but I can see how it would require a lot of work.
DjK4Yahweh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the quick replies!!

Just to be clear, my set up is going to be the Tomtom satnav app running on my Android smartphone.

I work in a music studio in London so i'm after the best possible solution regarding navigation, traffic & speed cameras for me & 7 of my colleagues.
I'm definitely going with tomtom's navigation & their HD traffic Live service but i'm still undecided about which speed camera service to use.
(I am leaning towards PGPS though)

I'm not doubting PGPS's excellent database but I just think that the one & probably only advantage that tomtom has when it comes to speed cameras is their mobile camera live service (Active Mobile Camera Alerts).

In an ideal world, I would have the tomtom app with it's Live HD Traffic service running with PGPS's Cameralert, which would have it's own Live Active Mobile Camera Alerts, that would warn of newly reported mobile cameras.
If this is achievable then please let me know how?

It would be great if even after updating the latest PGPS database on my smartphone, just before setting out on my journey, it would still be able to receive mobile camera alerts that might spring up on the road after I have set off on my journey. I often drive 3-4 hours at a time, so if any mobile cameras do get set up on the road 2hrs later, I would not be made aware of them.

Any advice on this will be much appreciated!

Thanks!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DjK4Yahweh wrote:
I'm definitely going with tomtom's navigation & their HD traffic Live service but i'm still undecided about which speed camera service to use. (I am leaning towards PGPS though)

I'm not doubting PGPS's excellent database but I just think that the one & probably only advantage that tomtom has when it comes to speed cameras is their mobile camera live service (Active Mobile Camera Alerts). .!
To summarise
Dennis wrote:
Pardon me laughing. You have to smile at the way TomTom's hype marketing fools some of the people all of the time - See Guivre46's comment. There was a time when they used to do this - they circulated any reports from users of mobile cameras actually operating - the end result was they reported a mobile operating at a particular location, but left it there for several days instead of clearing it off after a few hours. But they've stopped doing that nowadays I think. With the end result that they have very few mobile camera sites (where mobiles might be operating at any time). Their hype also suggests they update ALL cameras over the air in real time!!!
Guevere wrote:
I've had my Tomtom set to alert to mobile vans for more than 12 months now - not one warning!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:

That's worth repeating I think.

Edit. Ooops! M8TJT had.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active cameras reporting by TT users is a doubtful feature - how many know how, how many get it right, how many just don't bother? Then again, it was reported at one time that tapping the report button actually changed a mobile camera into a fixed one! Anyway, I have a strong feeling that this feature has quietly been dropped.

Here's a link to TomTom's own forum and a discussion (just one of VERY many bemoaning the quality of their database), for you to have a read through.

For myself, I run a TomTom GO550 Live alongside my iPhone's CamerAlert and the difference is shocking (which is why I run them alongside each other, to prove TT's cameras are quite unreliable).

Anyway, enough of this, we are CamerAlert fans. So make your own mind up and after you've been with whatever solution you eventually choose for long enough, come back and tell us how it's going.

DjK4Yahweh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I will...thanks!

Before I go ahead & purchase for me & my fellow colleagues, over the weekend i'm going to run Cameralert with it's latest db update & subscribe just for 1 month to tomtom's live camera service & go compare.

Out of interest, are there as many mobile cameras as there are fixed cameras out there, especially in London?

Also, generally how long does a mobile camera stay active for?
i.e. if they set one up at 8 am, is it in use for just a few hours or is it likely be used for the whole day?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ones near me (West Yorkshire) tend to hang around one spot for a good 3-4 hours.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: