Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another 'which to buy' question - it's so confusing!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another 'which to buy' question - it's so confusing!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that I should add that when I looked at the latest stuff from Tomtom, it was much the same size as a smartphone. What's your objection to using a smartphone? I get lane guidance on it and almost everything that a standalone gives you.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Mogweed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
I suppose that I should add that when I looked at the latest stuff from Tomtom, it was much the same size as a smartphone. What's your objection to using a smartphone? I get lane guidance on it and almost everything that a standalone gives you.

Well, for a start I'm 'old school' as in a phone should be a phone; a SatNav should be a SatNav; car insurance should just be insurance for the car and not give me 'lost keys cover'; a bank should look after my money and not give me "free" travel insurance etc., etc.

However, more to the point is that I currently have an iPhone 4S and I don't like it at all. The only thing it's good for is FaceTime but otherwise it's rubbish (doesn't even give SMS delivery reports - even my 8-year old Nokia brick did that!) and I hate Apple's restrictive practices - seems it's Apple's way or not at all. Well, it'll be not at all at the earliest opportunity!

As soon as I can I'm going back to Android, but there's the rub. I currently have to have the iPhone and I'll need a good SatNav for the holidays, long before I can ditch the stupid iThing, so I don't want to buy TT for that and then have to buy it again for Android.

I know, I'm weird Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogweed wrote:
However, more to the point is that I currently have an iPhone 4S and I don't like it at all. The only thing it's good for is FaceTime but otherwise it's rubbish (doesn't even give SMS delivery reports - even my 8-year old Nokia brick did that!)

You have to go into Settings and find the right thing - Notifications and tell it to do bongs.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mogweed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Mogweed wrote:
However, more to the point is that I currently have an iPhone 4S and I don't like it at all. The only thing it's good for is FaceTime but otherwise it's rubbish (doesn't even give SMS delivery reports - even my 8-year old Nokia brick did that!)

You have to go into Settings and find the right thing - Notifications and tell it to do bongs.

No Dennis, it really doesn't do it. Here's an extract from a 'discussion' I had in the iPhone 4S Community Support Forum:

Quote:

Sorcerer1 wrote:

One thing I am DESPERATELY unhappy with is the fact that this extremely expensive modern phone has no facility to receive SMS delivery reports when a text message is sent to another phone - a facility I've been using for many, many years on even the most basic of phones.

This has never been a feature of the iPhone.

I do believe you are correct. Had I known that earlier, I may well have chosen not to buy the iPhone.

From the SMS Wikipedia page:

Message delivery is "best effort", so there are no guarantees that a message will actually be delivered to its recipient, but delay or complete loss of a message is uncommon, typically affecting less than 5% of messages. Some providers allow users to request delivery reports, either via the SMS settings of most modern phones, or by prefixing each message with *0# or *N#. However, the exact meaning of confirmations varies from reaching the network, to being queued for sending, to being sent, to receiving a confirmation of receipt from the target device, and users are often not informed of the specific type of success being reported.

In other words, take the issue up with your carrier and stop blaming Apple for the lack of a feature that has nothing to do with the device.

My carrier provides the facility and I have used it successfully for many years, even on the most basic of phones. It is irrelevant that there is no industry standard for the meaning, or efficacy, of delivery reports. It must be a technically trivial matter for Apple to provide the facility to receive such reports on iPhones. It is not for Apple to decide on my behalf that they are of no use and so therefore they will not be catered for - that is for me to decide.

Apple's way or no way!

Another example of this is that there's a brilliant app on Android called Wifi Analyzer - fantastic for when I'm setting up wifi networks for customers. However, it's a powerful tool and Apple decided it is TOO powerful to be in just anyone's hands, so they will not allow it on iPhones or iPads.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I misunderstood - I thought you meant notification that "you've got mail (text)", but I see now that you want notification that the addressee has received the text message you sent to him/her. I had no idea phones could do that and if I thought they did, I'd want to prevent it happening (i.e. I wouldn't want people getting a notification that their message to me has been received by me - I have my email set to never send receipts).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mogweed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to bring some closure to this topic, I eventually found a well-cared-for GO1005 on Ebay. It was local to me so I went to have a look and a natter with the guy. Its pristine condition and the fact that it does what I want, combined to make me click on the 'Buy it Now' button immediately and I'm well chuffed with it.

Thanks guys Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: