Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another 'which to buy' question - it's so confusing!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another 'which to buy' question - it's so confusing!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mogweed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Another 'which to buy' question - it's so confusing! Reply with quote

About 6 years ago, maybe longer, we bought a TomTom GO700. At the time it was top-of-the-range and it's served us well, but it's now on its last legs and we need a new satnav.

Because we've only got experience of TomTom, and because it's been bloody good, I'm inclined to be loyal and get another TomTom unless someone gives me a very good reason not to - but TomTom or not, the ultimate question has got to be, which model? There's such an overwhelming choice of makes and models these days!

Intended use - full UK maps with postcode search is a must. Holiday-wise, we drive around the continent so maps covering Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary are essential but the rest of Europe less so. Our car runs on LPG and filling stations are fairly scarce, plus I may need to find a local Asda, Lidl or whatever, so the ability to add in my own POIs and speed camera data (from www.pocketgpsworld.com of course Laughing ) is also essential.

I suppose Bluetooth may come in handy sometime but it's definitely not essential; I don't need it to play MP3s; and if live traffic reports need a data connection then forget that altogether. I like the 5" or 6" screens of some of the TomTom range and also their 'Advanced Lane Guidance'.

So, any suggestions from you knowledgeable folks?
NB I definitely do not want to use a tablet or smartphone - I want a dedicated satnav like our old TT GO700
Mogweed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys - 24 views up to now but no-one can offer any help in choosing a satnav to meet my needs?

Mods - if this question should be in a different part of the forum to get a better response, please move it there.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mogweed, How long is a piece of string? You'll get a hundred different answers from a hundred different people.

Your best bet is probably to look at a website such as this -

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/satnavselector.htm

compare the different features and make a short list based on your requirements/budget.

Visit the High Street to handle the short listed ones to see if you can whittle it down further and once you have managed to get your choice down to a few SatNAvs read some on-line reviews (Amazon, Halfords, etc.) and ask some questions/advice here.

Not trying to be difficult with my answer but we all have different needs and expectations from our SatNAvs.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Mogweed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Hi Mogweed, How long is a piece of string? You'll get a hundred different answers from a hundred different people.

[...]

Not trying to be difficult with my answer but we all have different needs and expectations from our SatNAvs.

Thanks for your reply Ali. I take your point and it's fair enough, I just expected a bit more from this website I suppose.

I mean, I bought one SatNav more than six years ago and that is the sum total of my experience of the world of SatNavs. This website, on the other hand, is dedicated to all things SatNav/gps. Its entire reason for being in existence is to provide information and knowledge for experts and enthusiasts alike and because of that, I suppose I thought that someone like me, who is neither an expert nor even an enthusiast, and with very little knowledge of the subject, would just be able to come along with a 'wish-list' of features and one of the experts or enthusiasts would immediately be able to say, "Oh yes, this is what you need" or "Well, stay away from x, y and z, but a and b will do what you want".

But thanks anyway, I do appreciate the fact that you've taken time to reply and I will do as you suggest - but if anyone else can give me the answer that I'm looking for, don't let that put you off telling me Wink
Gmt_Plus1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogweed wrote:

I mean, I bought one SatNav more than six years ago and that is the sum total of my experience of the world of SatNavs. This website, on the other hand, is dedicated to all things SatNav/gps. .....
- but if anyone else can give me the answer that I'm looking for, don't let that put you off telling me Wink

I absolutely agree with you Mogweed, but six years ago it was much simpler, there was a more-or-less clear division between the different models and their capabilities. Sadly it appears to not be so clear today.

Most people on these forums appear to be reasonably happy with their devices. However, if you are leaning towards purchasing a TT please look at the recent topics on the newest models. There have been lots of changes since your original purchase, not all of them good. One of the biggest changes on some of the more recent TT's is the current inability to add 3rd party POI's (Speed Cams, LPG sites, etc.) you shall have to use TT's own offerings. However some do come with Lifetime map updates and lifetime Traffic.

Notwithstanding any of the above, you may wish to consider this -

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/shop/tomtom-outlet-store/go-750-live-refurbished/index.jsp and apply the code UKREF20 for a further 20% discount.

It's old school, doesn't have the latest maps, it doesn't have any social network applications but, coming from a TT 700 you will be familiar with its layout and you can still add POI's. Oh!, it's a bargain toboot. Very Happy

Edit, i think it comes with 1 Year free Live Services, but you may need to confirm that.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may just need to give us a bit more time....
Many of the "regulars" may be out enjoying the sun, and those who aren't (like me) may be stuck in work and not able to use the internet (oops! Wink )

Looks like your best bet would be the GO1005, if you want LIVE Services like Traffic alerts.
That's a 5" screen and has a very good mount. There's a version with just Europe maps, or one with Europe and the US too.

There's also the smaller GO825, but that has an "integrated" mount which is permanently attached to the back of the unit Some people like that, but I find very fiddly to fit to the windscreen every time.

If you can survive without LIVE Services, there's the VIA models, or the START60 which is a 6" screen, but they all also have the integrated mount, which, on the START60 is even fiddlier to get your hands round to fit due to the bigger screen.

All except the START60 currently have a "free lifetime maps" promotion, so make sure you get that.

The newest models are the GO 500 and 600 (stupidly they have used the "500" number twice!) which need a smartphone connection to get the LIVE Services, or the GO6000 which is always connected, like the GO1005 etc. with their own connection. However, CURRENTLY they cannot accept user-POIs (although they have promised it for some time in the future), so I would not recommend them until that feature appears.

If you can get hold of a refurbished GO950 that would also be a good choice.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small point because I don't know the answer, but are the countries that the OP needs in the W Europe map set? Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary

Ah, I see in GMT+1's link above to the 750 that they are included in the Western & Central Europe maps so the OP needs to be careful as to which map set to go with.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, there hasn't been as good a model since the 700, that was the best they ever did, in my opinion and if by some miracle I could lay my hands on a nice new unused one, I'd happily pay more than the original price for it! Mine died last year. If your 700 still has some legs, do not let it go.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmm.

I see a chance of making a quick buck - or several here. Smile
My TT700, whilst not new and unused was working fine and dandy, the on board battery even stayed alive on it's own for about 20 mins.
It's covered in dust under a table somewhere, going to dig it out and see if it still works.

Edit by me 13.04hrs.

My get rich quick scheme not going to work Sad
The 700 is dead, not charging, nothing.

Last edited by 253 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Andy said, I'd go for the 1005 or one of the VIA's. You'd need to check the mapping though - there is, as far as I am aware, both 'Western Europe' and 'Europe' - for your eastern euro ones you'd need the 'Europe' maps.

MaFt
Mogweed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very muchly guys, some excellent info there that I can now get to grips with.

I've never had LIVE services on my GO700 so I could indeed live without that if needs be. Regarding the integrated mounts of some of them, is there no chance of using a 'bean-bag' type of mount on the dash for those models? I currently use the Arkon CM012 for my GO700 and it's brilliant.

What on earth was going through TomTom's collective mind when they thought it a good idea to stop allowing users to integrate their own POIs? This is the very reason why I don't use the factory-fitted Nissan SatNav that's in the car - makes it about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, especially when trying to find those elusive LPG filling stations. The ability to use your own POIs is absolutely crucial and is at the very heart of any SatNav as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't updated the maps or the TT operating software on the 700 for about four years now, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's a viable solution given what I'm seeing. The internal battery is cream-crackered but that's not a problem as it's only ever used in the car anyway.

Ah well, a very sincere thanks to all contributors - you have given me much food for thought Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
You'd need to check the mapping though - there is, as far as I am aware, both 'Western Europe' and 'Europe' - for your eastern euro ones you'd need the 'Europe' maps.

MaFt

To add to the confusion.... My GO940 was supplied with "Western and Central Europe" maps when new, but my GO950 had a map called "Europe" right from the beginning.
As far as I could tell, the coverage was the same.

Whenever I updated the maps for the 940 I used to be offered "Western and Central Europe", but about a year ago, they started being called "Europe".

HOWEVER, they were still installed into the old, original "Western and Central Europe" folder on the device!

HOWEVER#2... on the last update to v910, there was a changer in the way Home installed it, so it finally got it's own "Europe" folder!

(Typically, Home failed to move all my POIs etc. over from the old folder which it left behind Rolling Eyes .)

HOWEVER#3... For some models the old "Eastern" "Western", "Central" versions still exist for new maps.

So to cut a long story short, check the map coverage for map UPDATES here:
https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/shop/maps/

... and for new models, check the descriptions of the map coverage carefully on the product description webpages here:
https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/?WT.Click_Link=top_nav.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogweed wrote:
Regarding the integrated mounts of some of them, is there no chance of using a 'bean-bag' type of mount on the dash for those models? I currently use the Arkon CM012 for my GO700 and it's brilliant.

Yes they work fine with a bean-bag, as they rotate through 180 deg.

E.g. for the VIA models it says
Quote:

Integrated mounting

A convenient foldaway mount that’s integrated with your device, so it’s always there when you need it. It attaches easily to your windscreen. And using the optional mounting disk, you can turn it upside down and position it on your dashboard too, where the screen automatically flips to the right way up.

If you get sick of the integrated mount you CAN remove it completely and replace it with third-party solutions, but they are not cheap and they still leave "half" the mount sticking out the back which stops you slipping the unit into a pocket.

Mogweed wrote:
What on earth was going through TomTom's collective mind when they thought it a good idea to stop allowing users to integrate their own POIs?

A very good question! They COULD argue it was just lack of time and they had launch deadlines to meet. The same thing happened with the last big model range (GO1000 etc.) TT had to be badgered into allowing user POIs to be added, but I know they had some technical headaches working out a way to keep MOST of the system locked down but allowing the user restricted access to add the files.
It now works fine though.

The built-in POIs on the GO1000/2000 range were as poor as they have always been, especially in the UK. Totally useless for most things.
And the "TT Local Search" which replaced Google Search on these and the other earlier models is pretty crap too.

However, I have to say, the built-in "Search" database on the latest range (GO500,600,5000,6000) is rather clever and surprises me quite often with what it DOES find. Amazing for something that doesn't "talk back" to the TomTom servers.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
However, I have to say, the built-in "Search" database on the latest range (GO500,600,5000,6000) is rather clever and surprises me quite often with what it DOES find. Amazing for something that doesn't "talk back" to the TomTom servers.
How is it with Fish and Chips? Pretty standard test?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out of the Tomtom hardware loop for a while.

I had an original Classic GO and then a 700. I upgraded the 700 with an 8GB CF card in place of the original 2.5Gb "disc". I could then use it for both the Western Europe and North America maps. It was fine until the touch screen failed. I passed it on to someone who could fix it.

After that I used the TT apps on my iPhone with a lot of success. Almost the same as the standalone system. If you have a smart phone this might be the way to go. I did find that the individual Western Europe and Eastern Europe maps were a bit more detailed than the Whole of Europe map. I have used these on an off for over three years. As well as adding my own PoI and speed cams. TT apps on the iPhone have so far had free map updates.

The phone was used to navigate in my wife's car and in my own car in E. Europe. I got a car with a satnav in it and it wasn't very good. It has recently been replaced with a Kenwood unit that runs Garmin mapping. I'm still getting to know the Garmin stuff, but on my short experience, I prefer the Tomtom. Now that could be familiarity or it could be that the Garmin system on a Kenwood is hindered by the Kenwood software in front of it, but it's not as slick as my iPhone and Tomtom.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: