Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Camper and Caravan POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Camper and Caravan POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: TomTom Camper and Caravan POIs Reply with quote

I now have a Garmin sat nav but I am thinking of getting a TomTom camper and caravan.

I understand (or think I understand!) that the POI files on the TT are encrypted and hence extra files of POIs cannot be added personally.

Is this correct and if so is there any get-around for it?

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a TomTom Camper, and have added the POI's from my TomTom ONE V3 by copying the .ov2 and .bmp files from the SD card of the old tomtom onto PC, then right click MyTomTom icon in bottom right corner and 'add community content' you can add the POI files which then get uploaded to the TomTom Camper via USB.

You need to restart the TomTom Camper to 'pickup' the new files (confused me at first), but they seem to work fine.

My current annoyance is the TomTomCamper came with hundreds of odd POI categories which you cannot remove or hide - even the empty ones, so I had to scroll down pages and pages to find my POI categories, I fixed this by renaming them (both ov2 and bmp files) to start with a 0 (zero) so my personal POI categories always show at the top of the list.

The TomTom Camper is very nice to use, touch screen is good, only niggles are its a bit slow responding in certain screens (ie selecting a town you type a few characters then have to wait about 10 seconds for it to update list to show matches), route calculation is quick though.

I've read about people buying the TomTom Start 60 (~£130) and adding the Camper maps (~£80) as a cheaper way to get a Camper sat nav, obviously without the live services (which I can't see me renewing anyway) and multitouch screen, but for half the price might be worth considering.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't add your own places to the built-in POI categories as those ARE encrypted, but you CAN add your own categories with as many locations in as you like.

Many people just ignore the built-in ones and add their own (better) files from other sources.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: