Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Nuvi 2548
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Nuvi 2548

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revlew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: New Nuvi 2548 Reply with quote

Hi, Just bought a Nuvi 2548 after about ten years of using a TT navigator, which has just finally failed.
Not sure if I like the format of the 2548 as it is so different to TT, but it appears there is not a user manual at the moment which is not helpful.
Being of the 'wrinkly' age group is there anyone out there to enlighten me, is it possible to download maps and camera details from this site or does everything have to go through the Garmin site and their Garmin Express software. Also about POI's have these to be of the 'Garmin' set etc.
I see comments about POI loaders etc, but are these universal or for specific models.
This model has western Europe map installed, is it possible to just have a UK only map added??
Yes I have many questions to work out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Revlew
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I am sure you will enjoy your Garmin.

Yes your POI's need to be for the Garmin format - there are some converters available though.

Probably best to install Garmin Express and let the system make a back-up of the main files - many of us take a full system back-up but there are some hidden files so reply if you want to do this. Garmin Express will then alert you to the updates - there are some British Voice updates and a firmware update you should install. Garmin Express also has an option to find the link to the manual (these don't come in the box) - as it is a new model unit you may have to go to Garmin's product page.

You can just have UK maps if you want - easiest way is to wait until the 2014.10 maps - any day now (from Garmin not this site) come out (your unit should have 2013.41 installed). The maps are updated 4 times per year and either Garmin Express or Garmin's Mapupdater will alert you to their availability and allow you to select specific regions. If you have all of Europe you can select UK&Eire only option if you want (this will overwrite and replace the existing maps leaving you just with Europe) or you can also include Benelux as well or just Western Europe if you have no need for Eastern Europe. I'd just keep the full set - over time, as the maps increase in file size you may need to select a more region specific map set.

Garmin POI loader is generic to the Garmin / Garmin Nuvi range so head to Garmin's webpages and download the latest version.

If you use ASH10's Camera Manager there is an option just below Garmin POI Loader to select a version which works with this.

Hope this helps

Last edited by BAVC10 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to that helpful reply.

You can't 'add' a UK map as it's included in Western Europe. You could as explained replace Western Europe with a UK only map but there is really no benefit in doing so.

Manual is here http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/nuvi_24x7_25x7_OM_EN.pdf

I would definitely back up your nuvi, it's really one of the first things you should do then if anything goes wrong you'll have all the necessary files. As already explained, many of the files are contained in a hidden .system folder. You'll need to set Windows Explorer to show hidden and system files:

Revlew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re Nuvi 2548 Reply with quote

To BAVC10 & SUSSAMB, many many thanks for your reply.
One further question if I may...is there any benefit in using this site's camera data over that which Garmin put out; how often does Garmin update it's camera data??

Thanks again

Revlew
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daily according to this http://www.garmin.com/uk/extras-camera-alerts/

But you need to subscribe for that. Note as a new user you can get a months free trial.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you use this site's cameras which are updated weekly and tend to be far more accurate than Garmin's which are provided by Cyclops.

If you want to take the month Free Trial I would wait a few months as the new Nuvis come with April 2013 data so is quite up-to-date anyway.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it might be different for the non-live versions but for live models (2390) then updates never really appeared on a daily basis. Cameras were always out of date.

I fully rely on PGPSW cameras now for speed camera notification as the oldest it is ever out of date is one week and not months like Garmin's can be.
Revlew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re Nuvi 2548 Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Thank you all for the responses.
Now just got to get my head around the Camera Manager & the POI loader.
Without question the heart of Pocket GPS World is it's member.
Thanks again

Revlew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: