Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TWITTER app on GO1005
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TWITTER app on GO1005
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@M8TJT and Dennis. You may not use Twitter (and neither do I) but plenty of others do, and it was a selling point for that range of TomTom models. So we should not belittle people who wish to continue using it on their TomToms.

As far as I know, one of its main purposes is to
automatically update people to your whereabouts when you reach a destination, which I can see may be very useful for some people.

But I have to agree, TomTom certainly aren't being "hopeless" about it, they are working on a fix.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Andy, I'm not belittling people who twit. BUT I do deride TT for moving into social networking with their satnav devices, which I consider a poor application of resources when, IMO, they could better deploy them towards navigation features.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree with you there, but once TomTom have put a feature on a particular model and someone has found it useful, then they should keep it working (as they seem to be trying to do here). I hope you'd agree with me there?

But I just sometimes feel that it doesn't make this forum terribly welcoming if someone posts about a specific technical issue and then gets several replies questioning "why on Earth would you want to do such a thing?" or words to that effect.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Point taken hijacker, but why the heck would anyone want to tweet on a sat nav. There are computers and smartphones etc. for that. Come to think of it, why would anyone want to tweet at all Rolling Eyes

But the same could be said for web forums and GPS etc. "Why would anyone want to converse about something as dull as GPS with a bunch of people who they've never even met?"

Groups, in general, have a common interest/theme/goal. This forum is a group. Twitter is a group. Facebook is a group. The diabetes clinic is a group.

"Why on earth would anyone want to go to a diabetes clinic?"

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(that's something useful you can do on FB etc. without having to make a whole new post!)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Oh, I agree with you there, but once TomTom have put a feature on a particular model and someone has found it useful, then they should keep it working (as they seem to be trying to do here). I hope you'd agree with me there?

Maybe I could remind you of stuff which broke, like hands free calling - how many people do we know who gave up in despair and bought various alternative kit (including me)?

Maybe I could remind you of your own thread? too.

Maybe we should also be looking at that thread on TT Discussions Forum which lists all the features which are not yet available on release of the new models, but will be (?) at some time in the future?

Whilst I have no interest in twitter and Facebook, my earlier comments were strictly sarcasm relating to TomTom's once again falling down. The OP is absolutely right to express outrage and indignation - he tells us that twitter already ran both versions in parallel for six months. With a feature so widely used on so many different devices, how come the OP's TomTom is the only one which hasn't cracked it? How big a company is TT? I'd guess a fair proportion of employees are supposed to be working on software rather than fastening satnavs together. Evil or Very Mad Quite simply I agree with him it's shameful!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say, that list of mine was mainly meant to flag up the features that got dropped when new models were launched.
The list of things which have been broken on an EXISTING model is quite a bit shorter, but would still include at the very least:
Google Search
Buddies
Compass
POI + Trafffic search radius
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating Navcore to accomodate the new Twitter API must be a real programming challenge for the boys and girls at TomTom.

48 days and counting since the App failed !!

I wonder how low down the list of priorities it really is. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: