Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confused Go300 user - did I just get free maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused Go300 user - did I just get free maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon1969
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Confused Go300 user - did I just get free maps? Reply with quote

Hi,
I've not upgraded my trusty TomTOm Go 300 for a couple of years, so this evening I connected it to my Pc and it upgraded my TomTom home software.
However it then searched for updates and asked me if I'd like to download the latest maps for Great Britain and Ireland to my device (167MB)
I searched for the buy now button but there wasn't one - only an 'install now' button. So i clicked it and the maps downloaded and installed. (v7.903)

I thought i had to pay for a map upgrade? have I got this for free or am I missing something do you think?
Simon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Confused Go300 user - did I just get free maps? Reply with quote

Simon1969 wrote:
... and the maps downloaded and installed. (v7.903)
It's the software version that is 7.903

If you tap the Status Bar (at the bottom), and then the small box labelled version 7.903, then an information page is displayed.

Line 5 is the Map version Number and the latest is v905.xxxx

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Simon1969
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I did as you said and saw my map version was very out of date, so have just paid £40.95 to take the 18 month upgrade option.

2 questions if i may please?
1. the wording of the 18 month upgrade offer is a tad ambiguos - does it offer 18 months worth of map updates for the £40.95 total, or a reduced price offer of updates over the course of the 18 months?

2. My tomtom home page says "map share disabled 1597 free map corrections ignored". Does this mean that my new maps which i've just installed are already out of date?

Cheers and thanks for the advice,
Simon
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom issue 4 map releases each year. you have bought 6 map releases for the price of 4, hence 18 months.

If you have maps v9.05 you have the latest maps. However, there shall always be errors or road changes since the latest map release. The MapShare corrections are what other TomTom users have noticed that is wrong with the maps. They have submitted the corrections to TomTom and you have the option of installing them if you wish.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To "join" MapShare, you will either get asked in a pop-up screen on the TomTom itself, or you can do it in TomTom Home.
In Home, go to the Tolls menu and follow the "TomTom Mapshare" sub-menu.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: