Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Struggling newbie - help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Struggling newbie - help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Struggling newbie - help! Reply with quote

With my some assistance I have recently purchased an iPAQ 2210 + TomTom 2. It works very well and has saved me endless time looking for places as I travel around on business in 4 different counties. I am a complete novice to both TT and iPAQ, and I would welcome some help with the following:

1. I'm still trying to register my software, but had to give up when I couldn't find the 'device code' requested during the process. Where can I find this please?

2. Having purchased TT2 I then bought the upgrade CD (£39 or thereabouts) at the same time but was this sensible? Can I upgrade free of charge on the TT website somehow? (a friend has suggested I can but fails to tell me how!) Is there some CD they will send as an upgrade once I can get the thing registered? (I recall seeing somewhere a free upgrade for all TT2 purchased since 18.1.04 - or have I misunderstood?

3. All attempts to email TT have failed - I have set up my account but cannot find any means to ask them these questions - probably me being thick, but I struggle with their site.

This ignorant novice seeks your help! PLEASE!

PS This seems to be fantastic site, even better if I could understand some of it.

Thanks to all.

CG
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CG,

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, don't panic. Wink Everyone here was a newbie once and no question is stupid. Mr. Green

I'm afraid that as I don't currently have any of the hardware/software you are asking about, I can only answer your 3rd question.

Don't worry about being confused with the TomTom website - I had exactly the same problem the first time I tried to get in touch with them. I do find their site quite difficult to navigate around, and the 'Send An Email' facility does not always work for me, as it seems to continually take me back to the same login screen, even when I am logged in. This may be a problem with cookies, so if this is the issue you are having difficulty with, it may be worth deleting the cookies in your temporary internet file folder and then trying again.

However, the fact that even after I have done this I still have trouble emailing them (in fact the only way I could manage it was to go to the FAQ section, ask them how to email them and then follow the link given) makes me think that this could also be a deliberate ploy by TomTom to make people read the FAQ first! Confused

I'll give you a step-by-step guide to contacting them:

Arrow From the Home page, go to the Support tab at the top of the page.

Arrow Choose 'My TomTom' from the menu on the left hand side of the page and log into your account.

Arrow Choose 'FAQ' from the menu on the left hand side of the page and in the 'Search Text' box, type 'send email.'

Arrow The question at the top of your list of search results should be 'How do I get in contact with your support department to ask a question?' Click on this and it will tell you to click on the 'Send An Email' button on the menu on the left hand side of the page.

Uncannily, you should find that this works first time and you are presented with the contact form to fill in! Confused There is also a phone number given in the search result text in case you still have no luck emailing them.

I hope this is helpful to you and that it makes some sense! Wink

Sorry I can't be of more help - maybe someone else can help you with the other questions you have. Thumbs Up

Bo Peep.
CG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your guidance, have managed to send an email now! I'm hoping that someone will be able to assist with the other two points.

Thanks again, most grateful.

CG
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling newbie - help! Reply with quote

CG wrote:

3. All attempts to email TT have failed - I have set up my account but cannot find any means to ask them these questions - probably me being thick, but I struggle with their site.

CG

They have been having problems with the new website.

You can now create new account and register you details.

All other errors are being dealt with.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cg the device code appears the first time you open tt on the ipaq the code it asks you to put in is the code that is printed on the box under the cd i think this is the code it is asking for

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
bizgen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: emailing tomtom Reply with quote

What a relief to get the advice above about contacting tomtom! I have been struggling for days trying to make sense of the directions to email, but have been unable to work out the system - began to think it was a deliberate ploy to put people off contacting them!
I have ordered a bag to carry my Go 700 - every time I look at their order status it says -'in warehouse' - I wonder if they ever intend to post it - presumably they took my money at time of ordering. Rather worried about ordering anything else from them. Does anyone know where I can get a second suction device for fixing to windscreen? I know Tom Tom sell them, but I am really scared by this website. Sorry if I've put this query on the wrong board, can't see where else to put it!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back to CG's original questions:

If you had an original version of TT2, on the original machine it was installed to, the product code should be somewhere on the official TomTom packaging of the CD - 3 groups of 5 digits. If it's not as above, TomTom won't want to know.

You can only buy the upgrade CDs from TomTom, quoting your product and activation codes from the registered version of TomTom which you want to upgrade. It consists of an installation CD and 6 data cds containing maps. If your upgrade package is anything other than the above, its origin is doubtful, and once again, TomTom won't want to know about it.

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
finni71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea

You can also get help from customer helpline Tel: 08451610009 Monday - Friday between 9am & 4pm (but you must be prepare to wait for about 5 to 15 minutes if you get through) One thing is assured - you will get an instantaneous help.

or

Fax your queries to 003120 8501097 (Note the fax number is Holland).

:D Good Luck.

Andrew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: