Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Registration
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Registration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Registration Reply with quote

I noticed when re-installing CamerAlert after performing a factory reset you have to then register a new account before you can link your device to your current device.

For the next update, how about having the feature where you can link it to your account without having to register for a new account first.

regards
Walkerx
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this iOS or Android?

Pretty certain that is already the case for iOS...

MaFt
ds47uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a problem similar to this. I have been reinstalling Apps on my Android device - just getting to know it - and each time have had to reregister. This morning I have rooted by Android and reinstalled again and now it is not letting me link to my account - it says too many devices.

This is not actually true - it is the same device several times!

How do I get round this problem??
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy way out is to raise a support ticket here
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Is this iOS or Android?

Pretty certain that is already the case for iOS...

MaFt

Android - You don't actually get chance to link to your account until you re-register the device - it reports you have successfully created a new account, yet it shouldn't create new account especially if I'm using same email address as my normal account

ie

You used (anemail@fromthisdomain.co.uk) to register on the PocketGPSWorld.com site.

Your user account has been activated and is ready to use.

Your account details are:

Nickname: NiceNickName
Password: ********

You can then link device to anemail@fromthisdomain.co.uk

Rather than link device to account and then advise if you have exceeded the number of devices
ds47uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raised a ticket on this, and it turns out that the problem is that Android creates a new device serial number every time you change the Operating System (which evidently includes doing a factory reset). Do this three times and CamerAlert thinks you have three machines and bars you.

Many thanks to the support team who provided this information, and were also able to reset my account with no problem.

Having looked at the serial numbers provided in the various registration email confirmations, however, it appears that they are of the format of a 24 digit hexadecimal number, AND THE LAST 12 HEX DIGITS ARE THE SAME EVERY TIME. Maybe using just these 12 is a way round for the developers?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ds47uk wrote:
Having looked at the serial numbers provided in the various registration email confirmations, however, it appears that they are of the format of a 24 digit hexadecimal number, AND THE LAST 12 HEX DIGITS ARE THE SAME EVERY TIME. Maybe using just these 12 is a way round for the developers?

There are a number of BIG phone manufacturers who messed up and all their devices had the same 'unique' ID. So it was actually impossible to link devices to accounts. We spotted this when my eldest brother was submitting cameras all over the country - I queried this with him as I knew he was elsewhere at the time and we realised he had one of the affected devices - so anyone else who had one of those devices would automatically be linked to his account as the 'unique' IDs matched!

To get around this we use a special hash of the 'unique' ID along with wifi mac address and 3g modem mac address.

Those last digits are likely the same because of the MAC addresses which don't change. However, we can't rely only on those because not all Android devices have MAC addresses etc etc...

MaFt
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hesitated about posting this as I felt it would allow piracy of the app and data (maybe it wouldn't, just my feeling) but now that I know you use some hard coded info from the device it should be ok.

I change the rom on my HTC Desire HD on a weekly basis, sometimes as many as 3 over one weekend depending on how the updates are issued for the different roms that I use and if I wish to try a different one.

To overcome the device registration problem I use a paid version of Titanium Backup which allows me to restore the device ID.

By restoring the device id I do not have to re-register the device every time I flash a new rom.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I don't know why I'd not thought of Titanium Backup for restoring the device ID... I knew it had that option too! Duh!!

I'll add this to the FAQs I think Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: