Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Location not aligned with TT3 Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Location not aligned with TT3 Map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: GPS Location not aligned with TT3 Map Reply with quote

I'm using TT3 with an iPAQ 3870, 512 SD card and trying to use a Garmin Vista GPS to try out while waiting for the Fortuna Blooth to arrive.

The GPS will not accurately align the position on the TT3 maps, even though the GPs has a proven accuracy. usually at least one full block away. I've previously used the GPs with other packages Autoroute, Memory Map and all accurately report the position.

The effect is that it wont navigate correctly. Crying or Very sad

Clearly there are many seperate items that may be having an effect. I wasn't certain where to post this, but as the ipaq and gps have worked togeter before i'm leaning towards it being a TT3 issue OR....am I doing something dumb? Embarassed

Any assistance appreciated.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fraser,

What Map Datum have you got the Garmin Vista set to? It should be set to WGS84 when using TomTom and other mapping applications.

Does the Garmin Vista have an option to “offset” your position? If it does you may want to try it without any offset.

You may also need to experiment with the settings in the TTNav GPS Driver.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS hab been set to OSGB and had been working correctly with the other Mapping apps. It is now set it to WGS84, i'll need to get out and test it later.

TomTom support has also just advised me to remove the 3.01 GPs SW and install 3.02. Done!

I'm not aware of any Offset on the GPS, cant think of a reason for telling the GPS to adjust. Surely a GPs is correct or of no use? I have used the GPS in the 'wild', no viz, whiteout and it worked perfectly.

BTW where and how do I adjust the TTNav driver?

Many thanks for the advice, i'll update this later today.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fraser,

Changing the Map Datum from OSGB (it may be called OSGB36) to WGS84 should have the desired effect. Thumbs Up

If you go to the “GPS Status” screen (second page of the Navigator Menu) and tap the “GPS” tab, the settings that you can change are the NMEA speed and the COM Port.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After making the change to WGS84 mapping now accurate.

Also changed from Garmin to NMEA on both GPS and TT3

Other issues to be logged seperately.

Thanks everyone! Thumbs Up
joe-rogers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Im a newbie here and have only had my 1st SatNav for a week now and have had a fair share of probs getting to know whats what. Soz in advance if I seem dim and don't know any lingo....

Im using tt3 with iPaq 2210 with a 256 SDcard and I'm getting very similar probs as 'Fraserp' regarding alignment. Having read all of the posts, im at a loss as to where to start (no pun intended), and dont really want to dabble in altering anything without some guidance. So could any of you pro's point me in the right direction (excuse the pun agen).

Best regards
Joe
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
This is certainly the right place for asking, btw dont worry about the 'lingo'.

I've had a lot of help. I've been using a hand help gps for over a year, both on its own and with a PDA. I recently purchased TomTom3 to us on my PDA, then the fun started. There are still many issues with TT3 that may be TT3 problems. The difficulty is in (IMHO) the many different permutaion of hardware and SW that exists. each can have a bearing on the issue and the solution.

Ask away and give it a go, make a new posting and wait for the help. also dont forget to contact TomTom as well, they may have an easy fix, but dont hold your breath.
Bye.. Thumbs Up
SatMap
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe-rogers wrote:
Soz in advance if I seem dim and don't know any lingo....

Im using tt3 with iPaq 2210 with a 256 SDcard and I'm getting very similar probs as 'Fraserp' regarding alignment.

Welcome
Don't worry about not necessarily knowing all the terminology - we'll ask if we don't understand what you're saying.

The one piece of information you left out, which is necessary to answer the question, is what GPS you're using.

David
Gadjet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe-Rogers
It's most likely the map datum if you're using a etrex type gps, I've had a couple of people at work complaining of poor accuracy and when questioned they had their GPSs set to OS grid references, as soon as they changed to WGS84 the problems went away.

But as David said, the crucial question is what GPS are you using??

Gadjet
joe-rogers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS im using is TomTom Nav GPS.....

This is from another post I've sent in a few days ago...........

The port is serial cable on com1 and I've switched to NMEA0183 4800....... I'm also using v3.02.

Update...........

Its not 100%.....Travelling to New Eltham from Gravesend was ok, but on the return journey, not only was I doing 5mph sitting at the traffic lights at Cross Lane East, it also told me I had arrived at my destination about 1minute after I'd pulled up!

Another update.........

I had a trip to Eastbourne today and decided to 'test' the Nav again!

Well, I really had mixed results.........I decided to totally 'use' the Nav although I know what roads to go on to get there. Using the NMEA0183 4800 GPS setting it seemed to take an age to 're-calculate' when I took a wrong turning and I had to soft re-boot to unstick it. Mind you, that was after it told me I'd run out of memory!!! (thoughts anyone?)

Apart from it taking me a 'very' scenic route and almost 2hrs to get there, it was accurate until Tunbridge Wells. I decided to change back to 'TomTom Nav GPS' for reasons above. I had on average about 6 sats the whole journey.

On the return journey apart from it once again taking an age to re-calulate and on occassions soft re-booting, it seemed to be ok but this time, I found the directions a little bit advanced but luckily, I was on roads I was familiar with.

I'm wondering if I'm expecting toooooo much from my SatNav and should relax a bit.........However, I'm somewhat concerned that when I REALLY NEED it - will it be reliable? Up till now, I've just 'tested' it..........

Does this shed anymore light on matters? For the record Im not sure where to look for the 'WGS84'

Joe
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've picked up your problem in this thread, joe.

The datum problem being talked about here is almost certainly not applicable to the type of GPS you're using.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: