Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: NAVIGON TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: NAVIGON TMC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hijack wrote:
I have noticed that. Navigon's web site has exactly the same information.
I guess we have to wait for dejongj's review of MN4 to see if this is just mistake or they have not enabled TMC support for UK in this version.

Navigon said exactly the same about the previous version. I think this is more to do with licensing, iTIS who manage the TMC-RDS service in the UK charge a licence fee to manufacturers who use their service in the UK as do many providers on the continent. It's likely that Navigon don't consider the Uk a large potential target market and hence not worth paying the licence fee hence they are unable to advertise the fact that it works here!
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon is actually a very, very small company my German contact told me. He actually visited their offices in Germany. The demand folllowing CeBit and licence deals with other companies like ADAC and there is one in Holland as well means there are absolutely swamped by demand...
As such I can imagine that organisationally they are not ready to conquer the UK market...But that is pure speculation of-course...

The license is actually through the map data, considering they get map data from Navteq for Europe including TMC info, that also includes the translation tables that 'understand' the ITIS encoded info....

Now for the bad news....My GPS/TMC receiver has died....I can still power my PDA but no receiver GPS nor TMC is being recognised. I can't see the little green light on the receiver anymore which suggest it is the receiver itself....I am returning it tomorrow to Navigon...Will be interesting to see what their return and repair policy is like....
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetley202 wrote:
Does anyone know what cables come with the mobile navigator tmc + bt?

I will be using with a hp2210 but having ordered I am now wondering what cables / connectors I will need to power the GPS (tmc and BT) mouse

No cables required as it uses Bluetooth! My German friend used the new receiver with a HP2210 and it looks like a killer combination...He had the HP2210 in a brodit mount in his BMW 7 (like me!), but just left the GPS/TMC BT mouse in the glove compartment running on batteries. There is an on and off switch....I was amazed that he picked up sattelites in the glovecompartment!

Makes me want to get rid of my Medion PDA, especially now the HP2210 is at such a good price....
Omertron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hijack wrote:

Yet another German on-line shop (but with English version) asks €435 for MN4+BT+TMC. I have enquired about this product and they confirm that this is the full thing. Again price difference between this one and Navigon on-line shop (€579) is over €140 which is almost £100

Thanks for that link, I was actually dithering over whether to get TT3 and just forgo the TMC functionality, but getting MN4+TMC+Cables for <€400 was more than worth it!

Just have to hope that it arrives quickly Smile Worth noting that Computeruniverse have a guarentee with a third party that covers you for loss in post/damage/etc up to €5,000.
Hijack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omertron wrote:

Just have to hope that it arrives quickly Smile Worth noting that Computeruniverse have a guarentee with a third party that covers you for loss in post/damage/etc up to €5,000.

Let us know when it arrives and how it works Thumbs Up
Omertron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hijack wrote:

Let us know when it arrives and how it works Thumbs Up

It was dispatched on Friday 9th... So with luck should be here sometime this week :D . Would def be of use next week when I go down to Woking (from Liverpool) as there always seems to be something wrong with the M6/M42/M40/M25 Wink

Omertron
tetley202
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Yes TMC does work on the NM4+BT+TMC Reply with quote

Just to avoid any doubts using the new NM4 TMC BT with a HP2210 it really does work. I have 2 screen shots from this morning but can't see how to post them on here to show you. (any clues?)

Interestingly the TMC screen showed it had locked onto a different station classic FM although earlier in the morning it had locked onto classic FM. During set up I did let it scan through stations unitl it found classic FM on 100.1, the sig indicator was full bar and I then clicked the tick box. Although the manual is good at how to use the TMC function it is lacking on what the scan set up screen is all about. So an educated guess is that clicking the tick box on the station ID you want it to track is the right way to proceed. In any event I get my traffic messages.

During set up I installed onto a SD card and I am now going to uninstall and place the programm on the HP and just keep the maps on the SD card. The UK preset map takes 111MB

The unit is great, the voice at 90% volume is more than adequate in a mondeo with radio 4 playing. The voice commands are great. asked it to get me home from tesco's last night and it duly did.

The only downside was delivery by UPS, unbelievably they didn't deliver as the driver couldn't find my address (its a normal residential address in a well established part of town only 20 miles from their depot!) To say I was fuming was an understatement and actually drove to pick it up myself. If only theused MN4 :D
Omertron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes TMC does work on the NM4+BT+TMC Reply with quote

tetley202 wrote:
Just to avoid any doubts using the new NM4 TMC BT with a HP2210 it really does work. I have 2 screen shots from this morning but can't see how to post them on here to show you. (any clues?)

Sorry, no idea how to do that, but I'll take your word for it 8) Can't wait for mine to arrive... aparently it left the country (Germany) on Saturday... Hopefully they are not getting as lost as they did with yours!

tetley202 wrote:

During set up I installed onto a SD card and I am now going to uninstall and place the programm on the HP and just keep the maps on the SD card. The UK preset map takes 111MB

Why are you going to move the program? Are there performance issues with this or do you just want the ability to swap SD cards?

I have 521Mb SD card, so I'm kinda hoping that this should be sufficient for my needs :P

Omertron
tetley202
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, purely convenience.

The fast SD card performs well. it struck me after installing that it was daft to keep the program on the SD card when it was going to be necessary to use other SD cards for maps needed for the grand european tour. With your 512mb your wel and trully sorted. But it will take hours to build custom maps compared to using the preformatted maps on disks 4 and 5

word of caution, the head of the plastic screw on the interchangeable mains plug easily has its head damaged. its really neat way of changing the pins to meet different countries power supplies though and only needs doing once to change it to a UK fitting.

I you get as much pleasure as me and my new toy :D
Hijack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you describe a bit the BT/GPS/TMC receiver Question What kind of batteries are used (eg AAA type or some special rechargable one). Is there a charger for them included in the box?
As much info as possible on "what's in the box" will be appreciated.
Thanks
tetley202
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the battery but it takes 2 to 3 hours to charge and will last aprox 4hrs

The box contents are as follows:
navigation software, (5 CDs)digitised mao of Europe and map sectins already extracted for use on your pocket PC

PC software MapExport and Skin Editor

12 channel GPS receiver with TMC expansion module and BT module

Adapter for 12v power supply of both GPS and Pocket PC (note if you need to order the cable to match your specific pda if you intend to power pda and gps off the included power supply

Mains charger

soft carry bag

The unit is about 3inches long, 2 inches wide and 1inch thick.

On the base are rubber strips (very thin but effective)

On the back are 3 sockets
power socket (looks like a mini usb socket and has a unique cable which connects to the 12v power adapter)

TMC aerial socket (phono) for connecting to a short wire aerial which has suction pads to attach to windscreen)

the 3rd socket looks like a gold plated coax but I cant find any reference to it in the manual.
Hijack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Thank You !!! Thumbs Up
Hijack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetley202 wrote:

Have you tried Img button at the top of the box in which you type messages for the forum?

tetley202 wrote:

the 3rd socket looks like a gold plated coax but I cant find any reference to it in the manual.

This one is most probably for external GPS receiver
tetley202
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I have tried without success to use the img button. [/img]
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes TMC does work on the NM4+BT+TMC Reply with quote

tetley202 wrote:

You need to upload the images to some webspace and then use the [img] and [/img] tags to surround the URL for the image. If you aren't comfortable doing this then email me the images and I'll publish them for you Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: