Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mercedes Comand System
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes Comand System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamrowe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Mercedes Comand System Reply with quote

Hi, Am I right in thinking that if I subscribe I can download 2 SpeedCam files, one for the UK in MPH and one for Europe in KMH, but could only access one at a time via my MB Comand system? Is there a work-around? Also, anyone know how to find out what Version of Comand my MB has?

Thanks in advance.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercedes Comand System Reply with quote

If we find out what system you have we may be able to answer Q1.
grahamrowe wrote:
Also, anyone know how to find out what Version of Comand my MB has?
Does this help? Google is your friend Very Happy
grahamrowe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your quick replies.

I think I have the COMAND Online NTG4.5 system, on the latest SL model, but was hoping there was a way of determining that 100% - perhaps a menu option on the COMAND system?

As for Q1, I should explain that I drive in UK and Europe, so prefer not to need to hot-swap files etc.

Thanks again, Graham
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an old thread here which might throw some pointers at it. Have a wade through that and see if anything helps.
grahamrowe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: MB COMAND System Reply with quote

Yes, thank you, I've read that thread many times trying to make sure I understood.

I confirm that I can successfully get a GPX POI file to read in the MB COMAND system - I tried European Airports as a test datafile for what it was worth!!

Hence my confidence to proceed with the PGPSW Speed Camera database. and enquiry as to whether the 11.011 file contains Europe wide Camera data, as is suggested by the description, or do I need to separate the UK and European data files due to MPH and KPH?

Do I also determine that if/when I purchase the DB, I get the choice to download in a Mercedes - GPX format?

Thanks for your support.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi grahamrowe, Yes the file to download is "Mercedes Comand". which is a GPX file. The database is zoned due to local differences, the zones are - UK, EUR, AUS/NZ, AFRICA, USA, ASIA and CANADA. Download and install the zones you require.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bailing me out Ali Very Happy
hapichappie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ali.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I'm still not clear on how the different files work in practise. Do the UK and Europe files both contain all data, but are just calibrated differently, or is there different sub-sets of the data?

EG: If I use my Car in the UK and take it to France, where it still has a MPH speedo, would it be more suitable to have the UK (MPH) file, or the European (KPH) file? A bit of mental arithmetic may be possible, but installing a different file at Eurotunnel every time seems challenging!

So part from standardising our measurement systems, is there a practical workaround or 'best practise' that most people follow?

Thanks for your patience if I'm missing something![/b]
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most systems the EUR database does not include UK cams. Come on MaFt. Give us all the real gen on the Merc database.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hapichappie wrote:

EG: If I use my Car in the UK and take it to France, where it still has a MPH speedo, would it be more suitable to have the UK (MPH) file, or the European (KPH) file? A bit of mental arithmetic may be possible, but installing a different file at Eurotunnel every time seems challenging!

So part from standardising our measurement systems, is there a practical workaround or 'best practise' that most people follow?

I've no experience of the Mercedes system (unfortunately!), but it all depends on whether you can install more then one POI file at once (or merge several together as they are installed, like Garmins do).

But if it is anything like a TomTom or Garmin, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot have the UK camera files and the EURope camera files on the device at the same time.

In fact, on a TomTom, there's actually nothing "clever" going on with the different versions being in MPH or km/h, and there's no calculations being done on the satnav at all.
All it knows is that it has to flash up a picture of a circle with numbers in at a certain place. It doesn't know or care what the actual numbers are.

Garmins are a bit cleverer, in that I believe they use the speed limit in the file name to decide whether or not to flash the alert, as they don't do it if you are going slower than the limit.
grahamrowe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, thought you'd appreciate an update: I have everything working as I hoped, so some lessons/conclusions:

1) COMAND can support more than one file simultaneously. IE: UK and Europe
2) Download the PGPSW file as "Mercedes" - which gives the required GPX format - it works.
3) COMAND can also provide Audible alerts, as well as visual.

In summary. It is possible to 'enhance' the standard MB COMAND system to add Safety Camera functionality - and that's a VERY good thing!

Good luck to all future users.
vitobrabus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 14yrs of driving all over the country I have recently been nabbed for speeding. I will be picking up my new mercedes vito with COMMAND later this week so this thread is good news, especially the audible warning bit.

Is it just a straight subscribe, download, upload to command card and away I go? Or is there anything else I need to know?

Many thanks.
grahamrowe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Process Reply with quote

Hi Vitobrabus.. Yes, essentially that's what you do. My only addition would be to make sure the SD card has the right folder structure, into which you load the files. You need to check the MB documents, but from memory I think it needed a sub-folder called Personal POI.

I also suggest you 'enable' audible warnings slowly - perhaps per camera type, as it can become over-powering if they're all on together!

Hope that helps. Good luck
vitobrabus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm. followed instructions but i cant find personalPOI once its in the van?

Been through all menus and cant find anything.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: