Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Caravan and Camper Europe - Map only
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Caravan and Camper Europe - Map only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks collietrainer I am thinking of going down the same route (pun)
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi collietrainer,

Many thanks for being the first (on the forum) to try this and also for your detailed notes - very useful.

That's very useful that you don't need to switch maps but you can easily switch between car instead of car with caravan, or Camper or Van.

I don't tow a caravan but I do tow a number of different trailers so I'm interested in the following: Speed limits on the map.

1. When you have selected car only presumably the speed limits are the same as on the normal maps?

2. When you select "car with caravan" are the speed limits set accordingly i.e. 60 instead of 70 mph on a motorway and 50 instead of 60 mph on a single carriageway, etc?

3. When you have selected Camper or Van and have put in some heights for the vehicle are the speeds set accordingly and more important does it route you away from low bridges and weight restrictions?

Kind Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Good questions - Europe Camper Reply with quote

Hi Privateer,
When I was searching for info on the Europe Camper map and its installation there were none, but there were a few posts by owners of the ‘dedicated’ 1005 caravan and Camper TT’s. One of the posts on the TT support forum set me thinking along the same lines as you. Here is an extract from the post:

18-07-201203:49 PM
‘’…The speed limits when using Car & Caravan mode are the same as when you are just in car mode! It doesn't take account of Caravan notices on the sides of French roads. It also does not give correct speed limits when towing a caravan in the UK. (I.e. 50MPH or 60MPH).’’

Now having converted my 1005 Europe into a 1005 Europe Camper I decided to take a look for myself. Things may have changed with App updates and since July 2012 Post.

In Demo mode I chose a route that would give a variety of roads and speed limits. This is what happened.

Set TT to car and caravan mode with suitable height weight specifications for both. I live in a 20 mph zone and the demo mode gave the correct max speed as 20mph, also displaying the speed of my ‘demo’ vehicle. Leaving the 20 mph zone the TT then indicated a max limit of 30mph which was quite correct. Leaving the 30 mph the TT indicated a max speed of 60 mph on the A422. (This is in fact incorrect as it’s fairly recently been changed into a 50 mph limit all the way to Banbury - must report this). It is further incorrect as the max towing speed is of course 50 mph on B roads (or less if stated). Coming to a dual carriageway the TT indicated a max speed of 70mph, again incorrect for a towing vehicle. Turning onto the motorway TT advised 70 mph limit. Incorrect again.

Question 1: Yes, with car selected the speeds limits shown are the same as for the Europe map.

Question 2: The short answer is No – the devices does not presently take into account towing speed limits. But you can (Even on the standard TT) set your TT to give an audible and visual indication of exceeding the legal speed limit and/or a limit of your choice. A workaround for now perhaps? Settings | Safety settings | Warn when driving faster than a set speed. (50mph?).

Question 3: I am going to have to investigate this a bit further. On the demo routes I have chosen so far, I have checked the text details to ensure there are no unsuitable roads, (I always do this before setting off and taking what the TT says as gospel !). I very much suspect it should divert you from low bridges and weight limits. I surmise this given that you have to input the vehicle specifications which include train weight, axle weight and height (see link in previous post above), but have as yet to try it either demo or live.

I do have a query brewing myself. I have my voice control activated. On my last trip towing with standard Europe map TT HD Traffic advised me of a 5 min delay and offered an alternative route. I have always said 'no' when towing as I would not be able to check it was a suitable route whilst mobile. (My motto - on the move? Leave TT alone). So my question is - will TT now offer me a caravan suitable alternative? One would hope and think so but given the speed limt questions I can only say …time will tell methinks!

Now someone out there must have an original camper TT …so how about some input pleeeeease!

NB: Oh just a quick edit to say I imagine its OK to eventually delete the Europe map to make space on the TT ..but thats best left for now I think Wink
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi collietrainer,

Thanks for the reply.

1. That good that the with solo car selected, the speeds limits shown are the same as for the Europe map.

2. That's very bad that the device does not take into speed limit differences for solo car, towing, and camper/van. This probably needs TomTom to change the APP instead of the map - but having spent over £50 for a new map then the unit should be able to take into consideration the speed limit for the type of road for a solo car and then work out the appropriate speed limit for towing and camper/van. This would then be even more of an incentive to report incorrect speed limit settings on the TomTom map.

3. Look forward to your further investigations on routing for low bridges and weight limits.

4. HD Traffic appropriate re-routing for towing and camper/van. Again this will need further investigations but if you have the device set to towing or camper/van and then whilst on a journey (demo or real) and you ask the unit to "Find Alternative" then by forcing the unit to recalculate an alternative route you should get the chance to see whether it routes appropriately or inappropriately depending on the settings for your outfit's height and weight

I guess that you will probably keep your unit set to towing or camper/van instead of solo car just to see how the unit and map route.

If you are a subscriber to the PocketGPSWorld camera database then you can download (for free) the Low bridges POIs to check the map.

You ask about deleting the original map, certainly on the older units (i.e. 950) you can copy the maps to the SD card. If you can do this on your unit then I would get a large SD card and move the original map to that. I have a 950 Live and have just the latest Europe map on the unit and on the 8GB micro SD card have the old North America map and the previous two Europe maps.

Yes, if anybody else has an original camper TT or the caravan map then please add your thoughts and findings here. Thumbs Up

Kind Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: More Camper stuff Reply with quote

Hi Privateer,
Yes indeed, I completely agree with what you say and hope that a future App will resolve the Europe Camper speed limit issue.

We are on the same page as I have been travelling around in the car but with TT set on Caravan mode. So far all seems well and it would not have let me down by steering me somewhere it should not have. (I can also confirm that under a 'live mobile' test rather than Demo the towing speed limits remain incorrect.)

Having read you post I have run several demo mode trips requesting alternative routes then checking in the text of route. Looking good as I have not spotted any caravan impassable roads. Having said this I have spotted one forum post elsewhere when the caravanner has not been so lucky. Also a complaint about long detours when the normal route would have been fine. But given the lack of Europe Camper posts there can't be too many instances like this. Human nature to shout when unhappy ...but less loundly when all working satisfactorily eh?

I used to buy the one off PocketGPSWorld cameras some time back but have not thus far subscribed and will definately think of doing so again and trying the low bridges POI's.

Thanks again!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi collietrainer,

For £50 I might have "invested" in a copy of the Camper and Caravan Europe map to try, but my latest TomTom unit is a 950 Live (Nav 2) and uses TomTom Home and unfortunately it is only later units (Nav 3) that use MyTomTom that can use the Camper and Caravan Europe map. I can't justify buying another SatNav at the moment, especially when my 950 has the latest maps.

You're right about human nature, one negative comment and no positive ones doesn't show that the product is bad. I think that the Camper and Caravan Europe map was first released in August 2012 so if there aren't too many complaints then it should be OK - I'm sure that you treat a SatNav as a driver's aid so hopefully the Camper and Caravan Europe map should be a useful tool for you.

I admit to being biased, but the PocketGPSWorld camera database is very useful, it helps to remind you to keep an eye on your speed and not creep over the speed limit. I definitely recommend subscribing to the PocketGPSWorld camera database as anybody else in your family house may use it on their own SatNav and if you have a smart phone (iPhone or Android) you can use a free APP called CamerAlert (written by PocketGPSWorld) and uses the same database.

Please Keep us posted on your findings on the Camper and Caravan Europe map.

Kind Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Bits and pieces Reply with quote

Hi Privateer,
Quite understand reluctance to purchase another SatNav. If it's not broke it don't need fixing! My 720 threw a wobble which is why I upgraded. On a trip south it didn't seem to know where I was and decided my Espace could do with some off roading experience over ploughed fields. It seemed to place me some yards off the roads. I read about a bug causing this for some models last summer ...but 720 not mentioned. Got 720 going OK after connecting to Home intending it to compliment my TT collection - but 'er in doors pinched it.

With lack of Europe Camper postings I might just start another thread entitled 'got a Camper? Likes, Dislikes and problems please'.

Going to have a look at subscribing and how to install via MyTomTom.

Pleased 1005 v9 Europe Camper upgrade(?) - no problems thus far.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@collietrainer, I'm a bit confused now.
I've just tried selecting a few different models on the TomTom Buy Maps webpage, to see which ones can use the camper map, and I cant get the camper map offered for the GO1005 or GO1005 LIVE if I select it in the dropdown list

But if I follow your link from your original post, although it says "GO1005" in the heading , the actual URL says "GO1015" instead.

Did you get there by entering the first two characters of your serial number?
Could you say what they are? (just the first two digits or letters not the whole thing!)

I think the GO1005 sold in the UK is called the GO1015 in other countries, but I'm now confused if there is another flavour of GO1005 somewhere else!

From what the website is saying, the Europe Camper map is only available for the following models:

TomTom GO LIVE Top Gear edition
GO LIVE 820/825
GO 1015
GO LIVE 1015
(GO 7000 and GO 9000 have "Europe Truck" instead)
VIA 130/135
VIA LIVE 115/120/125
START 60
START 20
START 25

But NOT:
GO 1000
GO LIVE 1000
GO 1005
GO LIVE 1005
VIA 110/115/120/125
VIA 110/120
VIA 115/125

(or any NAV2 models)
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
OK - This is my route and how I found it:
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/ (link removed due to ID given)......
As you will see it says 'Compatible GO1000 Series' with an * to point out that you need the model with 8gb and an SD card slot.
From here I select 'If you have a compatible device'
www.tomtom.com/maps/travel-maps
This leads me to
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/maps/travel-maps/
On this screen I click the red box that says 'Discover Somewhere new'
This takes me to
https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/shop/maps/#deviceSelected=GO%20LIVE%201015
Somehow it already knows I have a GO LIVE 1005 as it shows it at the top left of page under the wording 'Buy a Map Make your device the perfect travel companion'. (maybe MYTomTom which is active is telling the page). There is an option that says 'Not your Device? Select again. as my model is displaying already correctly I just go to the map in the middle of the three below 'Europe, Middle East and African' Select the drop down box and the 10th one down is Europe Camper.
Select Europe Camper and it become available for purchase
Your choice
Europe Camper - Single Map(v9.00) 2453.3 MB

I have tried clearing my cache but it still knows I have a GOLive1005. If I remember correctly the first time I went to the page I just selected GOLive1005 from the drop down.

First two digits are ST - purchased from Amazon.
I just tried telling the page that the 1005 was not my device so it let me choose again and this time I did it with ST and once again the drop down offerred me the map!

I seem to recall postings on the TT support forum from someone who could not find it but another could.

Hope this makes sense as I type in haste ...

p.s. Just realised why it knows ...ID given! I have modified the first link I give above as it had my TT ID at end (oooops!) so I must have been signed in.

Last edited by collietrainer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits and pieces Reply with quote

collietrainer wrote:
Hi Privateer,
My 720 threw a wobble which is why I upgraded. On a trip south it didn't seem to know where I was and decided my Espace could do with some off roading experience over ploughed fields.

Well well, my trusty old 520 did this the other week when I switched it on. Nothing I did would rectify it, reset more than once. I left it for a couple of hours and it finally sorted itself out and has worked flawlessly since. I presumed it was a faulty gps fix file that had crept into the works somehow. Was tempted to take the X-Trail across the fields and blame the Sat-Nav Smile

Back to the thread
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Just used your link (Buy Maps webpage) and I can see the Europe Camper in same place as in last post above. It recognises I have a 1005 upon that link.
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,
Shame you discovered the problem so quickly .. you missed out on a a 'get out of jail free card' from 'er in doors. to buy a new TT !! Wink
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

collietrainer wrote:
.. you missed out on a a 'get out of jail free card' from 'er in doors. to buy a new TT !! Wink

I suspect that instead of being allowed to spend money, I would have acquired her not-so-often used XL Live IQ
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy
I have a go1005live with the camper v900 Europe map installed.
Cool
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Privateer,

I am now paid up for a year and have the ov2's etc installed on my TT. No problems except for known one of Explorer 9 refusing to allow highlighting of more than one file at a time. Used my other browser Firefox. Now for the low bridges poi to test the Europe Camper further (keeping on topic) and an explore of the others available!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: