Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Software Piracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Software Piracy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Software Piracy Reply with quote

There have been instances of GPS software applications appearing on websites for ridiculously low prices, and of seemingly legitimate companies, claiming to be ‘Authorised dealers’ selling software/hardware combinations and offering ‘bonus’ software in the form of maps for other countries. This software could well be illegal pirate software and sometimes doesn’t even come with valid activation codes, requiring the buyer to either use the supplied ‘Keycode generator’ or contact the software author saying the software has been bought second-hand and ask them for an activation keycode. Please consider carefully the implications of using such software. Check the software author’s website to see if the reseller is listed as authorised; don’t take the reseller’s word for it. Denying the software authors their revenue will result in the products not being developed, which would be a BAD THING for all of us who currently use this technology. Remember, if it appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow up to Tim's posting - TomTom in particular seems to be the biggest target in the PDA/SatNav arena - a search for "Tomtom Backup" & including descriptions yielded me no fewer than 15 "backups" for sale (although it did turn up legitimate auctions too - so don't think that all are for backup software)

I'd encourage anyone that sees this stuff being peddled on eBay or it's like report it via the 'report' link on http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/unauthorized-copies.html or it's equivalent for your local eBay (you can usually find it by substituting the relevant suffix in place of the '.co.uk' in the link above - although that's not a foolproof way of finding the right link)
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Tom have removed the backup facility in TT3, you can no longer backup the PDA and then restore, it locks on the boot up page and will go no further.

It is a bit of a pain when you want to backup your data you need to unselect Tom Tom when backing up Sad
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does not do that. I had to do a full restore the other day and the only problem was duplicate entries when I synched the calendar with the PC.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

I have fully backed up a lot of iPAQ 2210's running TT3 and all of them do the same, lock up on the boot up screen. I have only tried it after a hard reset of the PDA. I spoke to TT and they advised it was to stop the software theft.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 3970 with WM2003 restores ok using sprite
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm i have only tried with 2210's i suppose i should try with my 4150 but not had the need to yet. There are so many people on ebay selling the software at stupid prices, hope no one is stupid enough to buy them.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom not restoring issue has been well researched (by myself Wink ) and is down to the TTBTDEV.DLL file causing a problem. If this file is not restored then it works fine (although Bluetooth GPS support has gone).

The solution, as mentioned above, is to use Sprite Backup and that seems much happier.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom activation information is simply a few lines in the registry and if you interfere with these all you get is the screen asking you to activate your software. There is also activation information for the various maps in the *.mid files and and the tomtom.axs file which stores your code.

The only other incidents I have heard of with backups is where the installation of the TomTom GPS and Wizard updates two system files (ttbtdev.dll is tha main culprit) in the widcomm bluetooth stack (even if you do not use TomTom bluetooth) and the restore has difficulty restoring these files which causes a lockup. The first time TomTom was installed there would probably have been a replace system file warning when it was installed. This was well discussed in these forums in a thread in the TomTom forum called "Backup and Restore with tomtom and 2210" started on 1st Feb 2004.
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine was doing that as well until i updated sprite and then all was ok again
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not restoring ttbtdev.dll is a bad idea if it's still hooked into your Bluetooth stack. If you have to restore without selecting ttbtdev.dll, you should unhook it from your Bluetooth stack afterwards.

The better option is to upgrade to the latest build of Sprite Backup and TomTom GPS - which is a combination that Sprite has worked quite hard on. Reportedly this solves issues with restoring 2210s.

For more information, read this thread over at the Sprite Software forums - note I'm djw over there. I forget why I registered with that name!

Sprite have just released Sprite Backup version 3.1.4 build 2419 (not 2412 as the release notes page says) - which is good because I was falling over a bug in version 3.1.3 build 2412 with backup folder selection. Hopefully this will solve the issue when I get round to upgrading.

David
webresearch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: TomTom on eBay Reply with quote

I've had a couple of interesting experiences with this.
On two occasions, I've bought what is obviously a pirate version of TomTom on eBay. I have a licensed copy, the reason I bought them is that it was an easy way of getting a bunch of extras at a cheap price.
On both occasions, eBay notified me that the listing had been withdrawn for copyright reasons - and in both cases, after I'd won and paid for the goods!
So it would seem as thought eBay pay lip service to copyright law, but are still happy to claim their commision from the deal.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had paid by PayPal then you could have obtained a full refund. AIUI, when listings are cancelled becaue of VeRO complaints they listing charges are refunded but a seller with two strikes gets his account suspended.

However, given that you admit to knowing that you were buying pirated software sympathy for your plight isn't high on my list!
webresearch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not after any sympathy, as I said I have bought a full license, and only bought on eBay because I got a bunch of add-ons at a good price.
My point is that eBay pay lip-service to copyright protection, but only flag it up after they have already made their money on the deal.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no argument there, eBay could make reporting listing violations an easy process but they don't and they make the use of hijacked accounts and many other scams far too easy.

Out of interest, what 'add-ons' did you purchase?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: