Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New invention?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New invention?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaypohchee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: New invention? Reply with quote

I live in Malaysia. I just bought a Ninetology 5.2" Android ICS smart phone (rebranded ZTE) with GPS for use with Waze. This is my fourth phone with GPS. I have always-on internet.

Recently I have been up to 50km from Kuala Lumpur, in various places. When I turn on Waze, it positions me where I am, for about a minute. Then, without any action on my part it displays a new location for me in Taman Gembira, which can be 40 Km from my real location. I tried Google Maps. Same thing. I logged without a map software. Same thing.

I thought it was a hardware problem and brought it in to Ninetology. They immediately told me "you must use Sygiz" or something like that. But I bought the phone to use Waze.

Question to those who know?
a. Does Ninetology or ZTE have a technology to lock us into Sygiz?
b. Can Ninetology cause my location to unceremoniously shift at its will?
c. Do they have technology that when I use Sygiz I will miraculously no longer be shifted to Taman Gembira?
d. Or could it be, as I told them but they would not hear or fix, there is a hardware bug in the GPS location output?

More importantly, to lawyers in this group, if say a spouse finds that someone mysteriously goofs off to Taman Gembira very often from the GPS log, can she sue for divorce?

Anyway intending Ninetology customers please beware. I think other brands do not make you suffer thus.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New invention? Reply with quote

Welcome Smile

kaypohchee wrote:
...it positions me where I am, for about a minute. Then, without any action on my part it displays a new location for me in Taman Gembira, which can be 40 Km from my real location. I tried Google Maps. Same thing. I logged without a map software. Same thing.

I thought it was a hardware problem and brought it in to Ninetology. They immediately told me "you must use Sygiz" or something like that. But I bought the phone to use Waze.

It will be 'Sygic' that they meant.

You could also try our CamerAlert app for free which will show your local speed cameras etc on a map. I the hardware is weird then it will display weird here too.

kaypohchee wrote:
Question to those who know?
a. Does Ninetology or ZTE have a technology to lock us into Sygiz?

Possibly, but it would need to be very very embedded into the Android operating system to the point where I would think it would be a lot of hassle for them to bother.
If it is then you could root and install a custom bootloader and a custom ROM onto the device which would then get rid of any customisations like this.

kaypohchee wrote:
b. Can Ninetology cause my location to unceremoniously shift at its will?

Don't know really, but something is!!

kaypohchee wrote:
c. Do they have technology that when I use Sygiz I will miraculously no longer be shifted to Taman Gembira?

It doesn't hurt to try. Sygic is available as a free download that you can use for 7 days. After which you then pay for a full license. So you could try it for that week at no cost and see if they're just messing you about.

kaypohchee wrote:
d. Or could it be, as I told them but they would not hear or fix, there is a hardware bug in the GPS location output?

Try the Sygic free trial. If it still does the same then you tell them you tried Sygic and make hem fix (or replace) it Smile

kaypohchee wrote:
More importantly, to lawyers in this group, if say a spouse finds that someone mysteriously goofs off to Taman Gembira very often from the GPS log, can she sue for divorce?

Shocked Laughing Laughing

Do let us know how you get on.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you use CamerAlert there is an extra setting in there that starts the GPS in a different way, you could see if this helps. It's under the option for "Use alternative GPS starter"

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: