Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating camera's on the 1005
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating camera's on the 1005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p7hut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Updating camera's on the 1005 Reply with quote

Hi all, quick question...

In the olden days when I last had a SatNav, I would just download the camera's, unzip them, navigate to the map folder on the device and copy the files over. Job done.

On the 1005 I followed the instructions to upload the zip file and install the camera's, then configured the warnings, easy, job done.

However, I thought it would be just as easy second time around but once I had installed the update I had to configure the alerts again?

This time around I have opened the zip file and deleted everything bar the OV2 files, before uploading the zip. That seemed to do the job, the alerts are still in place.

Is that the correct way to do it or is there another easier way?
Also, as you can't view the files as in the past, how do you know your update has been successful? At least in the olden days you could see what date was next to the file on the device.

Thanks as always
Paul
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, as far as I can see from your description, what you did the first time you updated, SHOULD have worked without losing your warning settings, so what happened MAY have just been a glitch.

Maybe you could try the "zipfile" method again sometime, and report back if you have any more issues with loss of warnings?

-------------------

Secondly, as you realise, there are TWO methods you can use to install (or update) the PGPSW camera data.

The method you you used first (putting the "special" version of the zipfile straight onto the TomTom) is fine, but it was only really brought in because some versions of Internet Explorer had a bug where they couldn't select more than one of the camera files at a time in MyTomTom to upload them to the unit.
Other browsers are fine when used with MyTomTom.

So the more "normal" method is to extract the camera files just like you used to from the zip download and to use MyTomTom to upload those files individually.
Full instructions for that method is here:
Installation Guide (OV2)

For a first time install, you need to install ALL the ov2/bmp/ogg files, but for weekly updates you only need to select the ov2 data files and let MyTomTom overwrite the old versions - just as you did.

In that respect its exactly like the old way using Windows Explorer to do the copying and pasting.
If you're happier using this method, just carry on!

-----------------------

Finally, as for your question about version numbers and file dates.... Yes, you're right that you cannot simply look at the dates of the files on the TomTom, you have to depend on remembering to check the file dates as you upload them.

But I suppose if you really wanted a memory jogger, you could add an extra file to the upload (let's say a [b]copy[/u] of one of the .ov2 files) and rename it to be called the date you uploaded. That way you could just look in the POI list and there would one with the database version date on it.

Or a favourite would do just as well....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous post now edited as I mis-read: "This time around I have opened the zip file and deleted everything bar the OV2 files, before uploading the zip.".
I thought he'd deleted the ov2 files and kept everything else! Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: