Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom for Android lands in Google Play store
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom for Android lands in Google Play store
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisuk234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
Unfortunately, it isn't compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S111, probably the best selling Android phone on the market - what a massive c0ck-up by TomTom

Working ok on my SIII Smile
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisuk234 wrote:
IanS100 wrote:
Unfortunately, it isn't compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S111, probably the best selling Android phone on the market - what a massive c0ck-up by TomTom

Well done, apart from the big blue directions box & small font size it works very well on the SGS3, but TomTom never the less deem the SGS3 to be incompatible. You may find it useful to check out the rest of the thread as there are some hints & tips on using the PGPSW database with TomTom.Android
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is brand new, but it was in today's emailer, and I haven't seen it mentioned here.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
I don't know if this is brand new, but it was in today's emailer, and I haven't seen it mentioned here.

Other that it having the TomTom logo what is the difference between this and other generic bluetooth kits like it that are a lot cheaper?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisuk234 wrote:
IanS100 wrote:

It is still showing as incompatible with the S3 in Play.

Paul
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul80 wrote:
chrisuk234 wrote:
IanS100 wrote:

It is still showing as incompatible with the S3 in Play.

Paul

It will show as incompatible until TomTom release an update that supports Android devices with HD screens, it never the less works well save for a few scaling problems
Lui-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,

This week's TomTom Android update now officially supports many more devices including the S3.

Note that the new version will now download maps to the SD card if available, although there is no option to do this if you already had it installed.

There's probably a way to move the map data by tinkering, but the simplest way I found to do this was to delete the app and download it again (2.7GB in my case for Western Europe). (Note that this will wipe your TomTom settings).

Lui-G.
DrDick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having tried Sygic, CoPilot and any other navigation app around I got fed up with visiting strange places via silly routes. I decided to take the plunge and buy TomTom for my SG2, quite a good decision as it works well with excellent routing and combined with CA I get the camera alerts as well.
There is still a lot of work left for TT to do but it is a good start.
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDick wrote:
Having tried Sygic, CoPilot and any other navigation app around I got fed up with visiting strange places via silly routes. I decided to take the plunge and buy TomTom for my SG2, quite a good decision as it works well with excellent routing and combined with CA I get the camera alerts as well.
There is still a lot of work left for TT to do but it is a good start.

Off-topic, perhaps, but I too have tried all those (and more) and found TomTom routing the best - far from perfect but rarely too silly.

CoPilot is easily the worst, for me, and has been over several versions, producing some ridiculous routes from where I live (Newbury). If I plot the 'fastest' route, say, and then force an alternative, it will happily tell me my route is faster...so why didn't it give me that one in the first place?! Same applies to 'shortest'. I have reported this to ALK many times but they take no notice.

Where CoPilot (iPhone) really let me down was in Nova Scotia in September when I had to get back from a country walk to my cruise ship in a small, rented saloon car. It took me along progressively hairier dirt tracks until I reached a sign at a steep, boulder-strewn track "proceed at your own risk". At that point, I retraced my steps and found metalled roads to follow, getting back just before the ship sailed. (I had the chance to acquire CoPilot North America free of charge or wouldn't have used it in the first place - have now deleted it).

No more CoPilot for me.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 4 years or so using TT on Windows phones I have been happily using Sygic (in its various guises) in Europe for the last 3 years on my Android phones without any real problems with routing. Occasionally it, like TT did before it, sends me somewhere that my "nose" tells me is not right. In that case I just follow my nose and Sygic (again like TT) soon catches up.

Sygic now has the option to calculate 3 different routes for you and then show them on a map and lets you choose which one you want. After some testing I have now switched it off because, as I say, I am usually happy with the one it says is fastest. It also has the option to avoid unpaved roads. I always have that one "on".

I have also had Copilot for North America for a similar period, but I use that a lot less frequently. I much prefer Sygic from an operational point of view, but again I have had no real problems with its routing on the few occasions I have used it. Maybe I have just been lucky.
Copilot for USA
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter. Sounds as though I should give Sygic another try.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGumby wrote:
Thanks Peter. Sounds as though I should give Sygic another try.

I think you can get a time limited version for free with Android. Not sure with iOS.
Copilot for USA
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
I think you can get a time limited version for free with Android. Not sure with iOS.

Looks like 7 days on both. iTunes trial version is here:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sygic-gps-navigation-all-regions/id585193266?mt=8

Map prices vary between the platforms, e.g. UK slightly cheaper on Android but Europe only £31.99 on iOS vs. €49.99 (c. £41.49) on Android. Prices from iTunes and Sygic website...no map prices on Play Store as far as I can see.

From what I've read, it's still possible to install custom POIs on Sygic too (both platforms), unlike TomTom since iOS6 was introduced. That's a deal breaker - I'm off to install Sygic.
mvl_boston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
After 4 years or so using TT on Windows phones I have been happily using Sygic (in its various guises) in Europe for the last 3 years on my Android phones without any real problems with routing. Occasionally it, like TT did before it, sends me somewhere that my "nose" tells me is not right. In that case I just follow my nose and Sygic (again like TT) soon catches up.

Ever since the inception of IQroutes in 2008, Tomtom's routing has been far superior to any competing system out there. They have widened the lead with the optional HD traffic subscription system.

Sygic doesn't have IQroutes, nor does the old Windows Mobile Tomtom software.

Unfortunately, Tomtom doesn't offer a trial on the Tomtom app. However, if you want to see a demo of Tomtom routing you can go to routes.tomtom.com
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvl_boston wrote:
peterc10 wrote:

Ever since the inception of IQroutes in 2008, Tomtom's routing has been far superior to any competing system out there. They have widened the lead with the optional HD traffic subscription system.

Sygic doesn't have IQroutes, nor does the old Windows Mobile Tomtom software.

Unfortunately, Tomtom doesn't offer a trial on the Tomtom app. However, if you want to see a demo of Tomtom routing you can go to routes.tomtom.com

I agree, owning Gamin, Mio-Navman, Navigon units are well as running Sygic, Co-Pilot, Navigon and TomTom on my Samsung Galaxy Note nothing compares with the TomTom Routing or Interface (Mio-Navman IS close - but then they license IQRoutes from TomTom)

The Nokia Drive maps and routes on my Windows Phone 8 Lumia 920 is pretty impressive however - although still in beta, its the second best system out there

So you may save a few pounds with the others, but if you use Sat Nav on a day to day, there really is only one place to go
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: