Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Pronunciation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Pronunciation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redeye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Garmin Pronunciation Reply with quote

We drive down to Spain 3 or 4 times a year and stay off the Autoroutes where possible, and use my Zumo in the car.

After many hilarious hours with tearful eyes listening to "Miss England" direct me through France on our early trips, it has now become a pain in the arse getting directions such as "Take third exit to rudalargenheraldeegowl".

Have not Garmin the skills to be able to recognize that the unit is set to English, but that it is functioning in France/Spain/Germany and
use the current country's pronunciation for POI's and street/road names.

And whilst I'm having my little rant, it's actually the En Ten (N10, Route Nationale 10, etc, etc) and not the North Ten.

There, rant over.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it would if you set it to French or Spanish but then you might REALLY struggle to understand it!

You can't really blame Garmin. Their software can only be based on phonetically pronouncing stuff, and couldn't possibly take account of regional variations and other oddities, like knowing when sometimes to say En and other times North for the letter N Smile
csmale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be some kind of intelligence in there somewhere. I live in Holland and have my Garmin Nuvi 265 set to British English (TTS). Using the official Garmin maps it makes a valiant attempt to pronounce the street and town names in a Dutch way. But when I use OSM-derived maps it's like an English person pronouncing it purely phonetically, sometimes with very entertaining results! Example: Emmaweg (Emma-road) which with the Garmin maps comes out as "Emma-wech" (ch as in scottish loch) which is pretty good. With the OSM map it is seen as "Em-org" - it recognises "awe" as a particular sequence of sounds.

So if they can do it for Dutch, why not for Spanish and French?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think you've explained it. You say it makes a 'valiant attempt', I'm sure it also makes a 'valiant attempt' in French and Spanish too, but different languages pose different problems. Additionally, what sounds like a 'valiant attempt' to some will sound awful to others Smile

Even in UK some pronounciations are plain wrong, so I can't see 'English' voices being any better trying to pronounce foreign street/road names.
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3790 can't even pronounce basic stuff properly. There is a road near me called Poolstock, which it pronounces as Poolstuck. Can't wait to drive to Stuckport in South Manchester.
Redeye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Well it would if you set it to French or Spanish but then you might REALLY struggle to understand it!

We have in the past set it to french whilst in France and suprise suprise it pronounces french roads correctly.
So as in my original post, why can't a GPS which should know it's in France not pronounce the road names in french. Simples!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the french voice file will be coded to work in french with french pronunciations and phrases etc. so if you use the french one it will work correctly.

the english voice file will be coded to work in english with english pronunciations and phrases. using it on non-english words will simply confuse it.

the only way around it would be to program each voice file to understand all the other languages pronunciations and phrases. the files would be huge!

to be honest, i can't see any companies making the voice files work this way.

MaFt
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Folkestone or should I say Folk es tun! Rolling Eyes
Meter_Man
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: America in Spain! Reply with quote

Try some of the roads in Spain, might have been Majorca where road numbers begin with MA - Garmin told us we were in Massachusets!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a computer shop fairly local to us called CCL Computers. I saved it as a favourite on an old Nuvi 360 and the default is to capitalise the first letter only: Ccl Computers. I changed this to be CCL Computers.

On arrival it told me that I had arrived at "250 Computers". The Garmin had read 'CCL' as roman numerals!

MaFt
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smarter than we thought then Laughing Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
The Garmin had read 'CCL' as roman numerals!
How quaint Shocked
Anushka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Very entertaining... Reply with quote

We were highly entertained on holiday in France by the Garmin lady's pronunciation of place-names (fortunately I can understand what the legend at the top is telling us, so we found our way). The best was in Rouen when we were instructed to turn right at mefti-nepty-popticlock*. I think I shall ask for a French-speaking voice next time.
We're going to Greece next month - but shan't bother to switch it over as I don't understand Greek anyway.

* any ideas as to what that might mean?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this will always be a problem for the non-foreign language speaker.

You either stick with your normal English voice on the sat-nav where it will understandably fall over on foreign words and names, or you opt for a voice in the local language, in which case it has all the extra info to pronounce place names correctly, but you cannot understand the navigation instructions!
Anushka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Garmin foregin language pronunciation Reply with quote

How can I get a local language voice when I am travelling? Is this something I can do on the Garmin itself or do I need to download something?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: