Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The TomTom Olympics!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The TomTom Olympics!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

It's a large part of the English charm - that we know we are crap and so we champion the underdog (thinking of the likes of "Eddie the Eagle" here Smile )

Andy, a Brit is about to win the Tour de France on Sunday (and another may finish second!)
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, Tomtom have been planning something for the Olympics, but wasn't for me to disclose.

From Tomtom's Facebook page

TomTom UK
Did you know our map experts predict the 28th of July will likely be the most disrupted travel day in and around London? It’s when more than 9000 road changes are set to be introduced that day due to upcoming events. To help drivers in and around London we’ll be extending the functionality of our Map Share service . We’ve created a map task force to process map changes around the capital, which will be available via Map Share on a daily basis free of charge.

iPhone 12
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But will the TomTom map updates be for Olympic cars or non Olympic cars? One lot will certainly get the wrong information.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming that for the vast majority of consumers, the MapShare updates will be for non-Olympic drivers.

Steven

iPhone 12
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickj2903 wrote:
TomTom-Volley Ball Get passed from one CS rep to another without actually getting anywhere.[/b]
I think you are mistaken, that is TomTom-Ping Pong...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Like I said, Tomtom have been planning something for the Olympics, but wasn't for me to disclose.

From Tomtom's Facebook page

TomTom UK
Did you know our map experts predict the 28th of July will likely be the most disrupted travel day in and around London? It’s when more than 9000 road changes are set to be introduced that day due to upcoming events. To help drivers in and around London we’ll be extending the functionality of our Map Share service . We’ve created a map task force to process map changes around the capital, which will be available via Map Share on a daily basis free of charge.

This is the official press release from TomTom:
TomTom PR wrote:
~ 28 July predicted to be the most disrupted travel day in and around London ~

Sat Nav firm TomTom is extending the functionality of its Map Share service to help drivers in and around London to avoid travel disruptions over the next few weeks.

The company has created a map task force to process map changes related to temporary road closures, changes in traffic flow and additional turn restrictions as they happen across the capital.

TomTom will make these dynamic map changes available to its customers via Map Share on a daily basis, free of charge.

TomTom has worked closely with key stakeholders to capture and share the road changes. Their map experts predict that July 28th is likely to be the most disrupted travel day, when more than 9000 road changes in London will be introduced between Westminster and Guildford*.

The next most congested day is likely to be August 1st when more than 3000 changes will be made**.

Other severely disrupted days with a large number of road closures will include the 5th and 12th of August.

The sat nav company has a team of more than 20 people working on preparing and testing the additional daily map changes. They will continuously process all road changes in and around London throughout the sporting season.

After 6pm every single day, sat nav users will be able to download the following day's road changes to their navigation device and reset any changes no longer required from the previous day.

"We released our latest map update in May which included structural road changes in London and surrounding areas and points of interest relevant to the summer,” says Tom Brown, TomTom's UK Country Manager. “Now we are going one step further. We want to ensure that our customers drive with the most up to date map available, taking into account the dynamic road changes resulting from upcoming events in the capital. Our aim is to do all we can to give London drivers the best navigation experience possible.”

In general, apart from specific road closures on certain days, some restrictions will be in force until mid-August, which will affect routing in London throughout the period.

MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Traffic is now coming up with roadworks lines on the roads labelled "Sports Meeting for xKm." with congestion symbols.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
But will the TomTom map updates be for Olympic cars or non Olympic cars? One lot will certainly get the wrong information.

BMW have their own problem's and you thought TomTom was bad! Laughing Out Loud. Rolling Eyes

I had no idea there is an Olympic event for cars, or is that just the struggle into work event. Rolling Eyes
airwaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: olympic road closures Reply with quote

Anyone else finding roads still closed that are now open?

Living in Walton on Thames, where there were various temporary road closures due to the cycle races, I still can't navigate out of here! Our road was blocked off due to Terrace Rd being closed at various times, my TomTom has just checked for updates, none available, but it still seems to thinks certain roads are closed, from what I can tell by looking at the map.

I did try correcting a few stretches of rd on the device, but this would be really time consuming!

How comes the road closures haven't been removed?
skippy1969
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: olympic road closures Reply with quote

airwaves wrote:
Anyone else finding roads still closed that are now open?

Living in Walton on Thames, where there were various temporary road closures due to the cycle races, I still can't navigate out of here! Our road was blocked off due to Terrace Rd being closed at various times, my TomTom has just checked for updates, none available, but it still seems to thinks certain roads are closed, from what I can tell by looking at the map.

I did try correcting a few stretches of rd on the device, but this would be really time consuming!

How comes the road closures haven't been removed?

it's still the same, i deliver around that area, and my tom-tom tries taking on some outrageous routes just to go up the road!! Shocked luckily i kind of know most of the area so it's not too bad. Smile
airwaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's not just me then! My tomtom was trying to make a 50-odd mile journey for what should be a 12 mile journey! Reported it to tomtom and their first reply has been to ask me to do a factory reset, Laughing Out Loud. Told them I won't be doing that to fix a problem they need to fix by unblocking the roads!

It is so tedious too, trying to do this manually, all the little road segments, I gave up.

Living here, I know the area well, but need to plot journeys to clients to avoid congestion, so I wait until I've left the area, then plot a route!

Hope they fix it soon
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. So TomTom's efforts to help out during the olympics has been a roaring success then, with accurate information kept up to date hourly Rolling Eyes . I wonder how long it will take them to revert to the norm after the games are over. I suppose that this thread will gradually peter out over the coming months, but for goodness sake, on past TT performance, don't hold your collective breaths.
Falkirk81 wrote:
Answer, yes and yes. I can't elaborate any more, but they do know about it!
So are they aware of when the games finish and more specifically, when the road restrictions will be lifted? They don't seem to have been very good at it so far. It seems that it would have been better to have done nothing and let people look out of the window for road closures etc, rather than to have incorrect routing for weeks or maybe months to come, when it's all over.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a time to turn map share off?

With the new maps due in a week or two, this should clear any remaining blocks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: