Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What is the difference between these Satnav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the difference between these Satnav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martinwiseman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: What is the difference between these Satnav Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been a happy user of a TomTom One plus Trafficmaster Freeway for a number of years, however I have just discovered that TM are discontinuing/have discontinued the Freeway service so I need a new system.

My inclination is to stick with TomTom as the reports on the traffic system seem generally positive and I'm familiar with the TomTom format, however I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise.

I've looked at the TT website and the units on display in Halfords and now I'm confused Confused with the following questions:

1) What is the functional difference between the Tom Tom Via Live 125, Go Live 1005 and Go Live 825? I can see minor differences in the type of mount and the type of screen but otherwise they all appear to have exactly the same functionality/features.

2) The Via Live 125 was on sale in Halfords but doesn't appear on the TT website. Is this a obsolete product, or not officially supported in the UK; and even if it is, is that a reason to be concerned?

3) The Go Live 1005 on display was sluggish (to the point of being glacial) in responding to screen presses. Is this normal behaviour for this unit or was the one on display just misconfigured or in need of a reboot?

Can anyone help enlighten me.

Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right to be confused....It's confusing some of the most experienced TomTom watchers!

TomTom have been producing some very similar models recently and seriously blurring the boundaries between the different ranges.

Don't think that downloading the product manuals will help either. TomTom produce generic manuals for an entire range which often don't mention the differences between individual models.
The TT website will also NEVER tell you if a feature is missing from a particular model, they will just talk about something else instead.

-----

I'll try to come up with some of the differences between the three models you mention, but I won't have it all spot on.

1. The Go range are supposedly the flagship models, but the new Go820/825s are more like VIA models!

2. The "proper" Go models (i.e. NOT the Go820/825) have a far better windscreen mount in my opinion. The "easyport" mount on the VIA and 820/825 are always attached to the back of the device and can be really fiddly to attach to the windscreen while groping behind the unit.

3. The original Go1005 did not have a micro SD card slot for expansion (a SERIOUS mistake on TT's part) So you are restricted to the 4GB memory. That allowed a Europe map and a US map to fit on when it was first sold, but as maps have got larger, I think that if you want to update the maps you now need to accept a partial ("zoned") map of Europe if you want to keep the US map on the device all the time.

4. The NEW Go1005 World Traveller Edition DOES have a micro-SD card slot, but this is a totally different model with more internal memory too.

5. If I remember correctly, the VIA120 and 125 ALSO don't have a micro-SD card slot. You'll have to check that in the shop as TT have (as you say) removed all mention of the VIA120/125 from their website even when they are still on sale (boy, how I hate it when they do that!)

6. But the Go 820 and 825 models do have an expansion micro-SD card slot.

7. The Go1005 will have a capacitive touch-screen allowing "Multi-touch" (pinch-zoom, swiping gestures etc.). I never use it.... You also have to use your whole finger to select things on screen, I'm so used to using a finger tip or the tip of my finger nail, that I find it difficult to get right. I'm sure if you're more used to capacitive screens you get used to it.
The others have the more traditional resistive, single-touch, screen

8. The Go1005 screen is also much brighter then the screens on the other models, but it is also far more reflective, meaning you MIGHT have trouble positioning it without seeing yourself back in it.

9. All of them are new "NAV3" models so they run very similar software, but they are all lacking features you may be used to from older models. That means for example:
- no itinerary planning, so no ability to load or save routes from elsewhere (just the option of 3 "waypoints" on a route)
- POI search is restricted to about 50 miles from the location you enter (so if one of your sisters lives a long way away, she won't appear on a list of family members if you enter "near me" or "near home". you have to enter a town name first - very boring!
- No compass
- No extras like music players or document readers.

10. If you are used to older TomTom models, you'll find ALL of the new ones are rather slow to react after screen taps. TomTom are aware of this but just don't seem to be able to get them as quick as they used to be. If a unit is REALLY slow, then a re-boot does usually help.

Overall, apart from the card slot, I don't think there are many differences between the VIA LIVE 125 and the GO LIVE 825 at all.

If you can find a good deal on the Go1005 WTE (with the slot) then I'd seriously look at that, if the budget will stretch.
martinwiseman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
You're right to be confused....It's confusing some of the most experienced TomTom watchers!

I'll try to come up with some of the differences between the three models you mention, but I won't have it all spot on.

Thanks, that's been a big help. Now I know I'm not just being dense and missing something obvious.

I'll probably go for the 1005 on the strength of the mount - it's enough of a stretch to reach the clip on mount for my One and the though of having to reach the extra couple of inches to fiddle with the sticky end of an integrated mount every time I get in the vehicle doesn't appeal. Not to mention that I usually have to clean the windscreen every time before I can get a suction cup to stick reliably.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others may disagree, but I think it's a wise choice.

I regularly use different TomToms, some with the attached "Easyport" mount and some with "proper" mounts.

Every time I stop for petrol or arrive in a supermarket car park, I curse the Easyport mount.
The Go's with a proper mount just click out of it and into my pocket, but the Easyport ones need to have the power cable removed manually and then the whole thing laboriously removed (and it then doesn't fit in your pocket).

It must take at least ten times longer to remove them, and then of course another ten times longer to re-attach them and adjust to get the viewing angle right again every time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: