Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Go730-Problem assigning pgps Camera Warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Go730-Problem assigning pgps Camera Warnings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogercul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: TT Go730-Problem assigning pgps Camera Warnings Reply with quote

Since updating my Go730 with the latest 55'ish Mb 'application' file from TT, I am unable to assign each pgps associated voice warning to it's respective camera speed. Whichever warning I select for any of the numerous speed cameras, assigns itself to all the others.
Has anyone encountered this problem? Can anyone suggest a solution?
I'd appreciate any help you can offer.l
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a new one on me...

When you go to the "Warn when near POI" screen, you should get loads of individual entries for all the different PGPSW speed camera types/speeds, and when you have set up the first one (usually "pocketgps_uk_gatso_20") it will get a small loudspeaker icon beside it in the listing.

Are you saying that when you do that, you get a loudspeaker icon beside all the others too? If so, that's an amazing new bug, but as no-one else has reported it, I suspect it must be something else happening in your set-up.

All I can think of so far is that you may have accidentally installed one of the other database versions AS WELL as the full speed-zoned set. Those will have exactly the same cameras listed, but in larger groups, so you would get the same warning for several different speeds.

Check that you ONLY have these .ov2 files installed

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_tba.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_var.ov2
(8)
pocketgps_uk_mobile_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_tba.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_var.ov2
(8)
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_tba.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_var.ov2
(8)
pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
(1)
pocketgps_uk_specs_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_tba.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_var.ov2
(8)
=33 in total

-----------------

If you also find you have the "Consolidated by type" version:
pocketgps_uk_gatso.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile.ov2
pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs.ov2
=5 in total

or the old "Single file" (a bit of a mis-nomer as there are now two files!):
pocketgps_uk_pmobile.ov2
pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2
=2 in total

... then you should delete those files.

Let us know how you get on.
rogercul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I did have both versions installed!! However, having removed ALL versions (and TomTom's version) and then copied just the Zoned files back from the unzipped download, I still have the same issue.

To clarify, if I select the appropriate associated warning icon from the displayed window of icon's, let's say for the first 4 zone's (100/110/120/130km, I'm working with Euro and UK files) and then go back to any of the first three to check them, I will see that they ALL show 'EGatso_130.ogg Is this the sound you want to select'
I have in the back of my mind that when setting up the zones previously, if I accidentally went back to one already set, let's say 110, it would display 'EGatso_110.ogg Is this the sound you want to select'.
I have obviously tried 'rebooting' but to no avail.
At least you made me aware of the folly of copying both database's to the folder!
Thanks anyway
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogercul wrote:
... if I select the appropriate associated warning icon from the displayed window of icon's, let's say for the first 4 zone's (100/110/120/130km, I'm working with Euro and UK files) and then go back to any of the first three to check them, I will see that they ALL show 'EGatso_130.ogg Is this the sound you want to select'
I have in the back of my mind that when setting up the zones previously, if I accidentally went back to one already set, let's say 110, it would display 'EGatso_110.ogg Is this the sound you want to select

I'm intrigued by what you say you see when you "go back to check one".
I don't have a Go 730 available to try it on, but here's what I see on a Go940....

Once all the warnings are set up, if I go back into Manage POIs/Warn when near POIs I can then tap one of the categories listed (the ones with the loudspeaker icon beside them) to check it.

As soon as I tap one, I get a full screen "Remove warning?" question.

If I tap "No", I'm then sent into confirming (or changing) the warning DISTANCE.

If I change nothing and "OK" that, I'm taken to the screen of all the sound files, (presented as green loudspeaker icons with their names (truncated) underneath) and the one I chose before is highlighted with a light grey box around it.

Now... I DON'T get the "Is this the sound you want to select?" question at this point.
I can choose "Cancel" in which case the set-up remains the same as it was, or I can click on the highlighted icon, in which case I HEAR it, and am now asked the "Is this the sound you want to select?" question.

Tapping "Yes" on that screen takes me to the "Warn only if POI is on route" tickbox screen and from there I can tap "Done" to finish.

Can you confirm if that's the same sequence of menu screen that you get, or are you seeing something different?
rogercul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, I get the same as you up to and including the warning distance, after which I get 'Is this the sound you want to select'. Answering No, I get to the speaker icon screen. When you say 'the one I chose before' I assume you mean the icon you had earlier selected appropriate to that speed zone and not the one you chose for the final speed zone you setup before going back to check one of the zones?
Assuming you mean the former, this is where my device differs from yours because the icon i get highlighted is the one i choose for my final setting of the zone's.
The whole unit is totally screwed up at the moment, but I now suspect it has been caused by me downloading, directly to TT, the location of a hotel we are to visit in the near future.
Will update you on return, but many thanks fr your help
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogercul wrote:
Hi Andy, I get the same as you up to and including the warning distance, after which I get 'Is this the sound you want to select'. Answering No, I get to the speaker icon screen.

Ah right!!!!

I thought you were still using the "sounds folder" method, but it looks like you currently have the .ogg audio files in the map folder with the other PGPSW files (the "map folder method").
If you do it that way you must NOT answer "no" to the "Is this the sound you want to use?" question.

This is mentioned in the installation instructions here where it says
Quote:

Note: You will be asked to choose a sound but will not be offered any options, this is normal. You will be asked 'Is this the sound you want?'. You should answer Yes on this screen. If you do, you will then see the warning distance screen and can proceed as normal.

If you mistakenly answer No then you may get a message saying No Photographs and the unit will freeze. If you have mistakenly done this, simply reset the device and start again, this time answering Yes when prompted.

... but I'll be the first to agree that there are now too many disparate versions of the install instructions!

All this comes about because the original method of adding voice alerts ("the map folder method") has always been an undocumented kludge by TomTom. It depends on the sound files simply having the same filenames as the .ov2 POI files. But you need to answer "Yes" at that awkward step in the set-up.

they never bothered to sort it out because they brought in the rather more sensible "Sounds folder" method, which is USUALLY much less problematic I find.
rogercul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, yes I'm using the Map Folder method but I do not get the sequence you outlined.
Using TT Home, once I've got to Manage POIs, if I click on the 'Warn when near a POI' icon it takes me to the POI category list. If I click the down arrow until I get to the list of pocketgps (which, for some reason is near the top of the list, thankfully) and select the first entry, the display changes to 'Pocket eur gatso 100 Remove Warning? If I answer YES it moves the entry down the list into the 'P' section. Answering NO brings up the next screen:- 'Warn when closer than: 250 metres' (say). Click on OK for the next screen:- 'Is this the sound you want to select?'. If I answer YES, as you indicate, the next screen pop's up:- Warn only if POI is on route' I leave the box unticked and click OK, whic takes me back to 'Warn when near a POI' icon.
Maybe I should try the 'Sound Folder' method. I've spent at least 30 odd hours trying to get this thing set up without success.
Anyway, many thanks for your useful info. I will post a report once I've sorted it out
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogercul wrote:
If I click the down arrow until I get to the list of pocketgps (which, for some reason is near the top of the list, thankfully)

That's because you've already set up the warnings. The POIs with warnings already assigned to them appear at the top of the list. They should also have a speaker icon beside them. If you remove the warning the POI will appear in alphabetical order with the other POIs that have no warnings and the speaker icon will disappear.

Quote:
'Warn only if POI is on route' I leave the box unticked and click OK, whic takes me back to 'Warn when near a POI' icon.

That sounds like the normal sequence. You've set up the warning for the first POI. Click on the 'Warn when near a POI' icon to set up the warning for another one.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sequence is exactly correct. And that's exactly what I get.

The instructions I quoted actually have it in the wrong way order, sorry! (but not my text).

Lets take it step by step.

The reason you are finding the PGPSW categories at the top of the list are because you have ALREADY assigned a warning to them.
Any POIs with warnings attached (the loudspeaker symbol) are grouped at the top of the list.

If you remove the warning (by saying "Yes" to "Do you want to remove the warning") then that category will drop back down into the rest of the list in alphabetical order.

So you want to reply "No" and you get taken to the distance setting screen.

Change that if you want or leave it as it is and click "OK".

You now get asked "Is this the sound you want to use". You DON'T hear anything, but answer "Yes" anyway (as per the instructions)

You then get taken to the "warn only when on route" screen. Tick that or leave it unticked, your choice.

That's it! Done!
You are then thrown back out to the "warn when near POI" icon. Tapping that takes you back into the list in order to choose the NEXT file to set up.

------

It's confusing, but as I said, it's an undocumented fudge that TomTom never improved.
I thought you said you had already tried the 'sounds folder' method? Rolling Eyes
It is much more logical, but the problem with it is that the sound files from PGPSW have very long filenames (in order to work with the 'map folder' method), so unless you can be bothered to shorten all the names, it is very hard to work out which is which on the tiny TomTom screen as all the names get truncated to the first few characters.
rogercul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just added the .ogg files to the existing 'Sound' folder, I assume the ones in the Map Folder are no longer needed, so I've deleted them.
As I have 'Bulk Rename Utility' it's not too much hassel shortening the names, however, when the list of ogg files appears on TT it's not as conveniently sorted as previous, hey ho.
Have just tried 'assigning' each of the egat warnings to their associated camera file and it all seems to work fine.
One question you might be able to help me with though, it's such a pain having to set these up each time there's a pgps update, is there an easier way? e.g. copying the previously set up existing config file, whatever that may be called!
I much appreciate your help with this issue
Many thanks Andy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogercul wrote:
One question you might be able to help me with though, it's such a pain having to set these up each time there's a pgps update, is there an easier way? e.g. copying the previously set up existing config file, whatever that may be called!
Each week that you update the camera files you over-write the existing files. The Warnings information is held in a file called MapSettings.cfg and this doesn't get deleted/amended when adding the new files.

However - it is a good idea to make a copy of that file somewhere else on the Unit. Favourite place is in the Root of the Drive. If you should lose the warnings for any reason, you can then just copy the file back to the Current Map Folder.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
rogercul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entirely agree with Richard...

the only thing bothering me is you said you were having to re-do all the warnings every time you updated from PGPSW. That shouldn't be happening.

That MapSettings.cfg file often gets reset after a software update (hence the good sense in keeping a copy elsewhere, as Richard says), but just updating the .ov2 files each week from here shouldn't mess it up.
rogercul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect something is/was screwed up, but since placing the ogg files in the SOUND folder everything now seems to function correctly, except, whenever it downloads a Map Share/Quick Fix update, a message box pop's up telling me I have an invalid copy of TT. Since I purchased the device new, from TT and it worked OK in the past, I guess some files or a file must be corrupted.
I note that in the Root there are 7 data files which appear odd:-

data.chk Recovered File Fragments 3636kb
data_im1.chk Recovered File Fragments 1298kb
data_lim.chk Recovered File Fragments 5000kb
data_lis.chk Recovered File Fragments 3134kb
data_ra.chk Recovered File Fragments 57kb
data_sp.chk Recovered File Fragments 13kb
data_ts.chk Recovered File Fragments 302kb

These seem to be 'language' related. Are they important?

In attempting to resolve these recent issues I discovered that I do not have the Product and Activation Codes. I have checked the box the unit came in but to no avail. Have checked my TT account but appear not to have recorder details of the unit. Checked out old e-mails but nothing. What a mess!!
Anyway, as previously stated, It seems to be working (although not checked out 'live' yet).
To save wasting your time (and mine) with issues I encountered using the MAP folder method, I will stick with your helpful advice and use the SOUND folder method.
Thanks for your prompt help.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows regards files with an extension of .chk as a recovered file fragment BUT the TomTom application is linux based and, as such, files with an extension of .chk have a much different -- and imortant -- purpose.

Do not delete them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: