Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please recommend a pda
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please recommend a pda
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonymaddocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Please recommend a pda Reply with quote

To save me a couple of hours web surfing (even then I am likely to be in the dark!) Could any one recommend a PDA, mainly used with TomTom. My criteria are (in no particular order):

1. Size – something that isn’t too bulky when in the pocket if possible
2. Battery life – With a smaller PDA often comes less powerful batteries and this would be an annoyance
3. Processing power – At least 300MHz
4. Budget – Circa £250

Any help would be much aprieciated.
Tonymaddocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to add, I intend to use the PDA with TT3 BT and I have a CF BT card.

Thanks again.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can only really recomend what i use
the ipaq 2210s a good workhorse at around £200 and would do most likeley what you wanted to
the xda2 brilliant machine in my veiw especiatlly if your gonig to used tt traffic and if WILL handle bt gps and bt headset at the same time also it will double as a phone so everthing is in one device its abit heavier than the 2210

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far the most popular handheld is the HP h2210, this has CF & SD card slots as well as built-in BT so no need for your card. (£233.00 Approx)
It makes little sense to buy a non-BT equipped PDA these days (apart from the Mio 168 which has built-in GPS). But you may wish to consider the Toshiba e400 which has a CF Slot and no BT (£233.00 Approx).

Other models worth looking at are the h4150 which lacks a CF Slot but does have SD, BT and Wlan.

Lastly, if your budget can stretch or you can negotiate a good deal with your cell phone service provider, the XDAII Pocket PC Phone Edition is a superb unit with SD, BT and of course a phone built-in.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far the most popular handheld is the HP h2210, this has CF & SD card slots as well as built-in BT so no need for your card. (£233.00 Approx)
It makes little sense to buy a non-BT equipped PDA these days (apart from the Mio 168 which has built-in GPS). But you may wish to consider the Toshiba e400 which has a CF Slot and no BT (£233.00 Approx).

Other models worth looking at are the h4150 which lacks a CF Slot but does have SD, BT and Wlan.

Lastly, if your budget can stretch or you can negotiate a good deal with your cell phone service provider, the XDAII Pocket PC Phone Edition is a superb unit with SD, BT and of course a phone built-in.
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
i can only really recomend what i use
the ipaq 2210s a good workhorse at around £200 and would do most likeley what you wanted to
the xda2 brilliant machine in my veiw especiatlly if your gonig to used tt traffic and if WILL handle bt gps and bt headset at the same time also it will double as a phone so everthing is in one device its abit heavier than the 2210

Whilst I agree with your comments about the 2210, and would heartily recommend it, I believe the SDA2 to be too flaky. It's caused me so many problems that I've actually gone back to my 2210 SET610 combo rather than the XDA2. The main problems are around the bluetooth stack and the fact that it's almost impossible to get TT traffic not to crash the machine despite 3 hard resets and only TT3 installed.
BadBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ipaq 4150 from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TURBO wrote:
I set up a Nav system for my mate.
HP 2210 would not run with TT3 and Socket BT GPS so sent the 2210 back and got a HP 4150, TT3 problem now sorted and the 4150 IMO is much better.

Dave

Works fine on my 2210 with an Emtac BT GPS (which is effectively the same device). 4150 doesn't have a CF card slot, which is dead useful on occasion for additional memory, ot WLAN card (BT is built in so that won't matter)

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TURBO wrote:
I set up a Nav system for my mate.
HP 2210 would not run with TT3 and Socket BT GPS so sent the 2210 back and got a HP 4150, TT3 problem now sorted and the 4150 IMO is much better.

Dave

There are many users who run the 2210/TTN3 with BT GPSr happily, most of the PPGPS Team have that set-up as well!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygrove wrote:
Whilst I agree with your comments about the 2210, and would heartily recommend it, I believe the SDA2 to be too flaky. It's caused me so many problems that I've actually gone back to my 2210 SET610 combo rather than the XDA2. The main problems are around the bluetooth stack and the fact that it's almost impossible to get TT traffic not to crash the machine despite 3 hard resets and only TT3 installed.

I've only had my XDAII a few days so I can't comment, I have however installed the ROM Upgrade recently released by O2 which allegedly improves many of the deficiencies of the BT Stack. I can pair with my Royaltek RBT-300o without issues and have been running TTN3 with no crashes at all. I've just loaded up Traffic so will see if this brings any issues to the fore!
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait till you install an innocuous piece of software and it knocks out the BT icon in the bottom right hand corner......

Could be any piece of software at all - loads of people have this problem but no-one can come up with a definitive answer as to which application is causing the problem. Evil or Very Mad

I'm not the only one who has lockups with TT Traffic and the XDA2, but I have heard of other people getting lockups with other devices too.

To me, the XDA2 just needs too many soft resets, nowhere near as stable as my 2210 with the same apps installed on them.

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the latest XDAII ROM Update?
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've even been trying to get help through our corporate contacts. I think they know it's not the most stable device in the world, and they're also behind the other manufacturers on the latest rom revision. Mtekk and T-Mobile have both released Rom revision 1.72, which is supposed to be better, but at the end of the day some of the main problems with the XDA2 are still there - atrocious battery life and poor bluetooth implementation.

If only they'd ship an extended battery, but I've been told they have no plans for this, along with WM2003SE.

Makes you wonder if the XDA 3 is just round the corner like the rumours suggest. I've asked that question too and I'm yet to receive an answer.

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind the plug ugly design there is the backpack that adds an extended battery, CF Slot and VGA/Tv out.

I read a post on XDA-Developers that suggested WM2003SE support would be forthcoming both from O2 and for the iMate versions.
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's just a lot bulkier. I saw one when i had a meeting with O2, and I really can't justify the extra bulk for the benefit. I'm resigned to carrying round an extra battery every time I use it.

What will really make the XDA2 special is the RIM client. As soon as that is available the XDA2 will be my main machine. I flit backwards and forwards between the XDA 2 and the Ipaq depending on my mood and how annoyed I get with the XDA2. Currently I'm back with the XDA2 as I'm also testing blackberries at the moment. Now that is really Cr*p as a PDA but great for getting you corporate email on the move.

As soon as O2 get the Rim client working it'll make the XDA2 a blackberry killer. Just think of the sales in the city they'd get. Nearly every Financial INstitution is currently either looking at or rolling out blackberry's, so imagine if O2 could get the XDA2 delivered at a comparable price to the 7230 Blackberry. Their sales sould go through the roof.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: