Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 540 - My Live Services work now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 540 - My Live Services work now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Go 540 - My Live Services work now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

After much complaining to TT (since February) triggered by the fiasco of the navcore 9.xx upgrade breaking the Live services AGAIN TT have replaced the device and, would you believe, works correctly

It is truly amazing that after all this time (over two years?) they replace the device and magically the Live bar now appears within 10 seconds of switching the device on and starts downloading the live service details.

It took emails to the TT management and a lot of "firm language and threats" followed by an abortive "repair" at the UK centre (which achieved nothing) before it was collected and sent to the Netherlands. They supplied a replacement unit and it works!

I had expected a different model of SIM card to be fitted but apart from the IMEI being diferent all other details of the SIM card are the same.

So - it is possible to get a Go 540 to work with Live serices with navcore 9.xx

And the replacement was under warranty and the live services have been extended by a further three months!!!!!!

Yippee
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you. It's a different experience when you can rely on the device to work properly.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to find somewhere to go tomorrow to find some traffic Laughing
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this means they have now recognised the issue, I have just sent the following request and will report back what happens.

"Dear TomTom,

Ever since the various sub editions of Version 9 software, the Live Services have taken 3-5 minutes to connect to when first starting or after the network connection is lost. Some versions of 9.xx even gave a SIM error and would not connect at all. With the latest version the time to connect has taken so long I have not renewed my Live Services as the HD traffic is virtually unusable and I am tempted to change to another brand of device.

This is a well known issue with the earlier versions of the X40 range and is caused by the particular version of the SIM card used in the device. This has been discussed often on many forums such as PocketGPSWorld. See: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=90677 for one of the latest reports.

Please advise me on how this SIM card issue can be resolved for my 940. Please do not reply with any 1st line scripts relating to resets, re-installing applications or clear-flash. All of this has been done many times trying to cure this.

Regards."
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck!

My complaint was on the basis that TT had totally broken Live services again earlier this year and then rushed out the same bodge as the original.

I emailed the CEO and others giving them the support call reference and the wording of the email and the support incident was quite forceful - full of statements containing "I REQUIRE YOU", "I WLL", "this is a known problem that has existed for over a year", "provide a replacement device of same or better specification" etc.

Because the customer services agent seemed to accept that there was a problem (which he possibly should not have done within the TT organisation) they seem to have backed themselves into a corner with nowhere to go.

Strangely the version number of the SIM card was the same (according to the network setting screen) but the box the unit was packed in included a Vodafone SIM card carrier which was the SIM card in the device - presumably the SIM card is inserted on a country specific basis.

The device also had the latest Navcore installed - maybe it is the upgrade from 8.xx to 9.xx that is the issue?
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
I will have to find somewhere to go tomorrow to find some traffic Laughing

Come to the London A13 in rush hour...TomTom never gets that right
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no response, it's like waiting for the HD traffic to appear.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main line in the response was:

"Please let us know if you have faced any issue recently in regards to live services on your device."
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The main line in the response was:

"Please let us know if you have faced any issue recently in regards to live services on your device."

Isnt that what you raised the issue about in the first place?

Quick response though Crying or Very sad one of my responses took over a month Mad not helped by the fact that TT close them if no activity in three days!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their next reply was that second line have determined that my Live Services have expired.

If they took the time to read my original request they would have seen that I had not renewed the live services because of this issue.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they are now regarding it as an issue, and I am amazed that they did not know the solution, it must be very rare.

I understand that with the latest version the time to connect to live service has taken so long.

As informed to you that we have reported this issue and it is under investigation.

I would like to inform you that our technical team is working diligently to resolve the issue and provide a suitable resolution. This being a technical issue, a specific time frame can not be given.

However, once this issue is resolved you will be update via our website.

As no time frame can be given and they close an issue within three days, I will have to just keep bumping it to prevent it from closing.

Then I received a survey request asking why I had not renewed my Live Services.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a message asking if the Go 540 was working correctly after the repair Surprised

I said "yes" and thanked very much the agent had seen it through to the end (this gritted teeth and fingurs crossed Wink ) and asked politely:-

Quote:
There are, however, plenty of people in the UK with Go x30 Live units which exhibit exactly the same issues - does TomTom acknowledge that this is, in fact, a known problem with the UK SIM cards in these devices?

The response I got was:-

Quote:
With regards to your query about the issue that you encountered being comparable with other TomTom users of similar models. From the information that I've checked through over the course of this case, there is no known issue in relation to the Sim and the Go x40 models. This error relating the the Sim card that you've encountered can occasionally be seen on other models and is not isolated to one specific model.

While ideally we would hope that TomTom devices do no encounter faults such as these, unfortunately they can occur. We do apologies for the inconvenience that this has caused, and for the length of time that it has taken to resolve this issue.

I wasn't aware of this issue ever occuring on any other models (but I could be wrong) but replacing the device can fix the problem.

They did mine as a warranty repair (long after the warranty had run out) as I managed to hang it onto the muck up they made with the new navcore early this year which totally screwed the live services again.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their latest reply was:

Currently, to resolve the issue we can change the SIM card. However, as informed to you that our technical team is working hard resolve the issue and provide a suitable resolution. This being a technical issue, a specific time frame can not be given.

As this has been going on for over a year I don't think they are working that hard on a solution and I have said I want my SIM changed, I await their response.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they replace the SIM card free of charge though? If they did the only way you could find out if it worked would be to subscribe to live services!

Maybe the technical teams are working a totally different area which will soon stop working Rolling Eyes
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have asked for my original receipt (£400 in 2008!) and my personal details for returning the device so it looks like this may be happening. No mention of costs or timescales yet.

How long did yours take from sending it away to receiving it back?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: