Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a UK website (offering what appear to be good prices for SatNav) selling the TMC CD for VDO Dayton at £200 (with a passing reference to 6 monthly updates).

Makes a new version of TomTom look good value - although I agree, I'd like to see TomTom offering an additional update service to just the mapping data.
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirium wrote:
Well spotted sifi, all I can say is laughter is the best medicine and there are a lot of sick people out there...

My original post was meant as a light hearted bit of fun to provoke some banter, I didnt realise my profession, car and lifestyle would be subjected to abuse in open forum and via PM, I think I've touched a raw nerve regard TTG and Technophobes ?? I have no doubt it will/is selling well, I just wondered why people were buying them and indeed if they offered more than a PDA solution. Stripping out the abuse, I find both my questions answered, shame we couldn't have had a laugh whilst doing it..,

Mate..... I doubt you've hit any nerves with any Technophobes....... I doubt that many technophobes are the sort that hang around internet forums like this? I would say that I'm a gadget addict and don't have any trouble with VCRs or DVD players..... if genuinely interested in why somebody would buy the TomTom GO over an iPaq combo (I have an iPaq as well as the GO).......

1. I wanted Sat Nav only
2. I didn't want any cables or wires
3. I wanted something that would last on battery for at least 4 hours (my iPaq would die after 2 hours at best)
4. I didn't want to mess around plugging stuff into the iPaq
5. I wanted something I could pop in the car and be navigating with in seconds (most iPaq setups I've seen require lots of faffing around with mounting, cable or bluetooth connections)

As for the car comment...... surely if a 350Z is a poor mans Boxster the the Boxster is the poor mans 911 Rolling Eyes

I'd wagger that the chap with the 350Z is a car enthusiast and a very decerning one at that!...... most Boxsters are driven by people that bought the car based on the badge and image alone and many won't even have bothered with a test drive! A 350Z would leave a 2.7 Boxster trailing on a good winding road 8)
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that the TT Go does not like high in-car temperatures at start up. When I leave home and switch the TT Go on, the sats appear within 1 minute. Leaving the TT go in the car when temperature is rising, switching on the TT Go results in long wait (4-8 minutes) before sats come alive. I don't notice this problem at lower temperatures.

Peter Luit
BoxsterBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having bought a Boxster (yes the 2.7 snail to boot) and Tomtom Go I feel victimised on this thread! Guess the Boxster is a poor mans 911 but still puts a smile on MY face when I use it.

Seriously guys - people make decisions for their own reasons and lets respect that please. We'll all be putting our Cars 0-60 times, CV's, annual salary, wifes pictures etc on our profiles before long if this keeps going.

PS Tomtom Go also works brilliantly on my L Reg Astra's (£900 - 90 BHP 1.6i 8v - with special edition alloy wheels) dashboard when I need to find tesco's as the shopping does not fit in the Porsche.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterLuit wrote:
I notice that the TT Go does not like high in-car temperatures at start up. When I leave home and switch the TT Go on, the sats appear within 1 minute. Leaving the TT go in the car when temperature is rising, switching on the TT Go results in long wait (4-8 minutes) before sats come alive. I don't notice this problem at lower temperatures.

Peter Luit

Peter,

Read page 17 of the TT Go manual, under "Temperatures".

The standard operating temp. is -10c to +55c. or for

short periods -20c to +60c.

Leaving your TT Go, or any other device can seriously Damage the unit.

The temp in a car, especially in the weather we are getting at the moment,
will get upto well over a 140f,or 60c the maximum the TT Go can withstand without problems.

Would you like to sit in a car for a period of time at those temps??

Hope this explains your query.
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoxsterBoy wrote:
Having bought a Boxster (yes the 2.7 snail to boot) and Tomtom Go I feel victimised on this thread! Guess the Boxster is a poor mans 911 but still puts a smile on MY face when I use it.

Seriously guys - people make decisions for their own reasons and lets respect that please. We'll all be putting our Cars 0-60 times, CV's, annual salary, wifes pictures etc on our profiles before long if this keeps going.

PS Tomtom Go also works brilliantly on my L Reg Astra's (£900 - 90 BHP 1.6i 8v - with special edition alloy wheels) dashboard when I need to find tesco's as the shopping does not fit in the Porsche.

Apologies to BoxsterBoy..... my comments were meant to point out to Kirium that there is always a more expensive car out there so the "poor mans" comment is meaningless. However when I re-read my own post it sounds like I'm having a go at Boxster owners in general..... not what I intended at all! sorry!...... there are MANY Boxster owners that drive the car because of its performance and handling (but I do know a lot in the badge and image category as well!)...... in fact I dissed myself slightly because I have a 987 Boxster S on order..... doh!
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Delboy wrote:
Read page 17 of the TT Go manual, under "Temperatures".

The standard operating temp. is -10c to +55c. or for

short periods -20c to +60c.

Temperature on my dashboard in the sun (car parked) is 57.5 C and in a shady area in the car is 36 C. With the back of the TT being black,the inside must be very hot due to the IR absorption.
BoxsterBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of Batteries:

There have been three types of rechargeable battery used in consumer electronics over recent years. Nickel Cadnium (Ni-Cad), Nickel Metalhydride (Nimh) and Lithium Ion.

The first two (Nimh to a lesser degree) suffered whats called a 'memory effect', this means that if you re-charge the battery from a point where it is fully discharged the battery will only work effectively down to that point (the memory). Often this was not fatal to the battery if done once or twice but if full charge and discharge cycles were not completed then the battery would progress to having a unusable short life.

The need for longer standby times and flexibility in mobile phones, camcorders and laptops drove new battery development to the new technolofy Lithium-Ion, the big difference being that this electolite had no memory effect.

The issues that TomTom Go owners will face are two-fold. Li-ions despite popular myth still need to be charged and dis-charged. If they are continually topped up and forced to hold a full charge then it will still reduce its life (if you need proof unplug one year old laptop from the mains if you don't use it often as a portable and see how long you stay online).Secondly the battery is not user replacable in the same way a mobile phone or camcorder is so becomes even more precious.

It may be me being ultra cautious but I try to run the battery down after a full charge and never interupt charging on mine.
BoxsterBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apologies to BoxsterBoy..... my comments were meant to point out to Kirium that there is always a more expensive car out there so the "poor mans" comment is meaningless. However when I re-read my own post it sounds like I'm having a go at Boxster owners in general..... not what I intended at all! sorry!...... there are MANY Boxster owners that drive the car because of its performance and handling (but I do know a lot in the badge and image category as well!)...... in fact I dissed myself slightly because I have a 987 Boxster S on order..... doh!

No offence taken and reply was 'tongue in check'. Just to let you know that TTG works significantly better in my 986 than the standard than the PCM system that my mate has fitted in his, not sure how much the option is in the 987 but it was a £2k hike on the 986. Sat-lock with TTG is brilliant roof up or down and only needed to reset once in a month (due to heat I think)
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoxsterBoy wrote:
Sat-lock with TTG is brilliant roof up or down and only needed to reset once in a month (due to heat I think)

I haven't reset it once. I tried high temps in the car and while the temp was in the 50..60 range, the TTGO just worked fine, and captured satellites quickly.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoxsterBoy wrote:
On the subject of Batteries:

The issues that TomTom Go owners will face are two-fold. Li-ions despite popular myth still need to be charged and dis-charged. If they are continually topped up and forced to hold a full charge then it will still reduce its life (if you need proof unplug one year old laptop from the mains if you don't use it often as a portable and see how long you stay online).Secondly the battery is not user replacable in the same way a mobile phone or camcorder is so becomes even more precious.

It may be me being ultra cautious but I try to run the battery down after a full charge and never interupt charging on mine.

While NiCd has a memory effect that causes the stuff to die pretty quickly, for NiMh it's almost non-existent, especially if you use the right charger. They _are_ special.

Regarding LiIon batteries; I haven't opened up the unit but I think it can be changed pretty easily. Also, even if the TTGO's battery would die in 3 years, (not likely to happen, I have LiIon batteries and even after the claimed year, they work just fine) you still could use it with the supplied powercord. for most, this is not a problem, while for the PDA type of navigation systems, it wouldn't be nice as the PDA would loose it's other functions.

last of it is that when the battery is completely dead, I probably would get another, newer unit. (not if it fails within 3 months of course, but after 3 years ?

do you have some references regarding the memory effect and information that you need to use LiIon batteries like your claim ?

I ran it down once to see how long 4.21 would run after a full charge. without reception (inside house), it took 6:17 before the unit stopped.
BoxsterBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No scientific evidence I am afraid. In a previous life I worked in Consumer electronics and just experience from how our test equipment. Apologies if I implied Lithium Ion has a memory effect as this is not the case, the point I was trying to make is that they die quicker if held with full charge - again in my experience. I am getting 5-6 hours from my TTG at the moment.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cor blimey!!

My comment "imagine you had a 350Z" to Kirium was meant to mean "imagine you had a car with a satnav cubby EXACTLY the same size as a TTG"... It's just too tempting, the TTG wedges in firmly and the lid can still close.

Boxsterboy - nice choice, despite what people say. I had one Dec 96 to April 98 and I reckon it was one of the nicest handling cars I've had (second to the 968CS). Just lacked a bit of torque and I prefer a non-convertible car.

Any idea how map updates will work, and whether TT have any plans to improve the routing quality? And a feature that turns the TTG on and off with the "mains" would be great for those with permanent installations. Do TT read this forum?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoxsterBoy wrote:
No scientific evidence I am afraid. In a previous life I worked in Consumer electronics and just experience from how our test equipment. Apologies if I implied Lithium Ion has a memory effect as this is not the case, the point I was trying to make is that they die quicker if held with full charge - again in my experience. I am getting 5-6 hours from my TTG at the moment.

This is interesting info. According to the GPS manufacturers (Emtac and a couple of others) the Li-ions should be constantly topped up. This is an area I have been meaning to explore for some time now as there always seems to be conflicting advice. These batteries have been around for long enough to have proper real life stats available.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may depend on usage. If the batteries are to be stored for a period of time their "aging" depends on the temperature and state of charge. As temperature increases the capacity loss increases. If the battery is fully charged before storage compared to say 50% charged, then the capacity loss is about 15% worse. If the battery is being used regularly, many cycles of discharging and charging do cause them to age more but not at all significantly in everyday use. As mentioned by others, 2 to 3 years should be easily attainable with normal usage.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 25 of 35

Jump to: