Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:
It is a shame there is no memory for often used addresses. Which is correct for the addresses you inputted - are you saying the map is incorrect? When I put Lower R Rd into the AA Route Finder it came up with the one at Putney but no mention of Barnes. When you input SW14 into Route Finder it comes up with Barnes but no Putney ???

I was just unlucky with the 171 Lower R Rd..... there is one in Putney and one near Mortlake at the junction with Clifford Avenue...... nothing wrong with the GO just the stupid idea of having two identical addresses in different areas!.

You can save destinations as favorites but you can't save a route..... eg. I can store my Mum and Dads house as a destination and I can route to this repeatedly...... but If I don't like the route that GO suggests (it always suggests the same route each time you choose the same destination) and want to change it you can BUT you can't then save that modified route for later or repeat use.

It would be good if you could save a list of roads that you want to avoid...... but I don't think that is possible in GO.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I understand now.
My Carin nav I have in a car already is the same regarding memory i.e. an adderss is stored but the ideal route isn't.
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Velcro Mounting Reply with quote

Liked the alternative mounting idea Wads mentioned.Is it stable enough to resist the shaking it would get on our Lancashire roads?
I must admit I was a bit concerned on leaving the mount in position and I find it a bit difficult to remove easily(feels like the windscreen might come out first)
I wonder if anyone else has come up with an improved way of mounting the TT Go?
I have every confidence.
SilverButtons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on a new topic, but with hindsight I will probably get a better response here.

Can anyone answer this question?

If I buy a Tom Tom Go, can I get the full mapping for Europe? Specifically France.

Some of the websites offering them for sale say that European mapping is not yet available, and that the mapping that is available for other Tom Tom models is not compatible with the 'Go'.

The Tom Tom main website shows European mapping as available for the 'Go' eg France is on a 256mb SD card.

None of the websites that are offering the 'Go' for sale has any mapping on offer under options or accessories.

It's Sunday so I cant ring these folks to ask, they are closed.

Some of the posts here express dissapointment that mapping IS NOT available, with no definative response to say YES or NO.

So what is the situation? Thanks.

I have ordered a Navman 630, its not arrived yet, would rather switch to the 'Go' if it does Europe properly.
jassy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: My TT Go is a little slow? Reply with quote

Well I've had my Go unit for a week or so now.

Great device, I'm new to the GPS world and I don't know how I lived without something like this (- even my wife likes it and can use it!). :D

Two concerns, hopefully someone will enlighten me:

1. As I approach junctions (be they local roads or motorways) the GO's display often seems to be about 10-20 yards behind where I physically am - this has meant that I've occassionally missed a turning. Is this a GPS problem or a GO problem do you think?Question

2. The speed the GO displays for me is a little slow, around 90% of actual (so if I were driving at 70mph, the GO shows about 65mph). Again is this common GPS issue?Question

Cheers,
Jassy
jassy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverButtons wrote:

[snip]
Can anyone answer this question?

If I buy a Tom Tom Go, can I get the full mapping for Europe? Specifically France.
[snip]

You get major roads of Europe in the box on a CD, more detailed maps of continental Europe are slated for August release.
J
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My TT Go is a little slow? Reply with quote

jassy wrote:

1. As I approach junctions (be they local roads or motorways) the GO's display often seems to be about 10-20 yards behind where I physically am - this has meant that I've occassionally missed a turning. Is this a GPS problem or a GO problem do you think?Question

2. The speed the GO displays for me is a little slow, around 90% of actual (so if I were driving at 70mph, the GO shows about 65mph). Again is this common GPS issue?Question

1. This is common with all GPS software. The actual measurement appears to be taken from the far side of the junction (the crux) therefore you will always have the width of the junction to take into condideration, add to this the fact that you only get position updates every second, and you can see a bit of a gap opening up.

2. The GO display is not slow. It is your speedo that is calibrated fast. This is common with all UK speedos. I have noticed that when you drive in the USA using the same setup, the speed is reported the same on the car speedo and the GPS. This is another subtle way the government makes you slow down.
Ferr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get major roads of Europe in the box on a CD, more detailed maps of continental Europe are slated for August release.
J[/quote]

I have read on TomTom site that the detailed maps of Europe are for mid-July release...hope that since summer holydays are close!
Regards
Ferr
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
jassy wrote:

1. As I approach junctions (be they local roads or motorways) the GO's display often seems to be about 10-20 yards behind where I physically am - this has meant that I've occassionally missed a turning. Is this a GPS problem or a GO problem do you think

If you are travelling at 70 mph you go a distance in one second of about 34 yds (at 60 mph it is about 29 yds). So this should be the maximum error due to the 1 second interval of timing. At motorway junctions my Carin system info. warns that the distance to the junction is actually measured to the roundabout up the slip road.
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Velcro Mounting Reply with quote

Lampman wrote:
Liked the alternative mounting idea Wads mentioned.Is it stable enough to resist the shaking it would get on our Lancashire roads?
I must admit I was a bit concerned on leaving the mount in position and I find it a bit difficult to remove easily(feels like the windscreen might come out first)
I wonder if anyone else has come up with an improved way of mounting the TT Go?
I have every confidence.

Yes I think the velcro mount will be stable even on rough roads..... I can't tell for sure yet as I haven't been down any really bad roads since getting the GO...... but it seems perfectly steady on the bumpy London roads near me! Of course going the velcro route does mean you need a suitable flat part of dash to mount it on...... I'd post a picture of my set-up if I know how to![/img]
ahmurray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Other mounting options? Reply with quote

Hi people, I am also one of the happy band of new GO owners, no problems to report at all, much simpler and better than my old pda based tomtom setup.

I'm also not keen on the windscreen mount as it tends to vibrate as well which is not ideal.

Does anyone know if the professional mounting kit mentioned in the accessories info is available yet?

I used to have a vent mount for my 2210 and that worked really well in my 1998 5 series - strange that tomtom don't supply a vent mount for the GO kit as it places it at the right height and I am sure would still get a good satellite lock in this position.

Let me know if you know where I could get one!
AJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: screen brightness Reply with quote

I am new to GPS systems and, other than a brief try of Hertz "Never Lost" on holiday, I have never used a sat-nav system.

I received my TT Go last week and it seems to work quite well except for what seems to me to be very poor screen visibility. To me, the screen simply does not seem bright enough to be seen clearly in any conditions brighter than semi-darkness.

Everything seems fine when trying the unit out indoors. However, out in the car in ordinary daylight, I am finding that it is visible, but very, very dim (the screen colours become very washed-out). I was really surpised at the extent of this problem - last weekend it rained almost constantly (with, consequently, quite dark skies most of the time) and even then the screen was nowhere near as bright as I would have imagined. When it's really bright sunlight, the screen is virtually impossible to read.

I have used the preferences option to turn the screen brightness up to 100%. I have tried changing the colour schemes on the maps (I have generally been using "Britannica"). I have re-positioned the unit lower down on the dash of my car to protect it from direct glare (but not too far down, otherwise it will lose the GPS signal), all to no avail. I have tried angling the unit into various different positions to avoid reflections, but this isn't really the problem - the issue is with intrinsic brightness (or lack of it), rather than reflections. Nor is this a fingerprint issue (as others have observed, this can be easlity illiminated by using the back of a fingernail).

The unit is just about usable, but I have to say that the lack of clear visibility of the colours is very disappointing. Is this normal and/or is there anything that can be done about it?
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted two pictures of my GO Velcro "mounting" over at:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4286253057

If the link doesn't work go to www.imagestation.com and search for an Album called "Gadgets" by me (wadswoaj username on Imagestation)

Thumbs Up
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJB.....

How does your GO screen image compare to mine:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid128/pa12005734cfc35cadc315de6b9730075/f7e0ec3a.jpg.orig.jpg

My GO is set to around 80% brightness and is generally very easy to see with the roof up (the car is convertible) and OK with the roof down...... with the roof down I do sometimes get strong reflections on the screen but generally just for a few seconds and the whole time the voice instructions are clear and easy to follow.
AJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry - don't seem to be able to access your picture.

I agree, the voice directions are very clear and, because the chosen road is shown on the 3D map view in dark red, it does stand out better than the rest of the screen, making the unit usable. It's just that I kind of expected clear colour images - like are shown on the screenshots from the various websites selling the units - rather than really quite washed out colours with a slightly less washed out red line for the route.

I am trying not to be overly critical here - I have been very much looking forward to getting the unit and, other than the brightness issue, I like it a lot - it's very neat and the routing software seems to work very well. I have never used a PDA in-car, so I'm not sure what level of brightness would be considered "normal" - maybe I am just expecting too much?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 11 of 35

Jump to: