Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Strange Speed Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Speed Alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanw47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Strange Speed Alerts Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 1340T which normally behaves impeccably. Following a replacement to my PC I had to reload all my software and inadvertently loaded sox version 14.4.0 instead of 14.0.1 (together with the 3 dll files). All seemed fine until I encountered the first camera - Normally it would be Mobile Camera 60mph. The alert I actually received was "Average Speed Camera, Unknown Speed Limit" Every other version of sox produced the same alert until I got back to 14.0.1 when normal service was resumed. Does anyone know why this should be? Has it happened before? I'm perfectly happy having reverted to 14.0.1 but I really don't understand how the wrong alerts came out.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: residual file from previous run? Reply with quote

alanw47 wrote:
Does anyone know why this should be?

Presumably you managed to restore an old .WAV output file from the last time the correct version of Sox ran. If the new version of Sox wasn't running, or was producing a file of a different name (that POILoader wasn't expecting), that might explain it - it would keep finding the same output file every time, no matter what the source file contained.

Last edited by PhilHornby on Thu May 24, 2012 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
alanw47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Strange Speed Alerts Reply with quote

The .wav files themselves hadn't been corrupted, the Garmin was just giving the wrong one every time until I restored the old version of sox, having done that all is well again. I didn't have to change anything other than that.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Speed Alerts Reply with quote

alanw47 wrote:
The .wav files themselves hadn't been corrupted,.

I didn't mean your .WAV files...

Sox is used to manipulate your input .WAV file into something like Output.wav every time it runs (I can't remember the exact command line POILoader feeds it). It is that Output.wav that POILoader then writes to the .GPI file. (IIRC Sox is used to change the bitrate and no. of channels of each .WAV file that POILoader encounters)

If no new Output.wav gets created, but there was an old one lying around, it could explain your symptoms.

alanw47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Strange Speed Alerts Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer even though I don't fully understand it. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling POILoader and try again, if that doesn't work I'll just stick with 14.0.1

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: