Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom XXL update [not enough memory]
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom XXL update [not enough memory]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: tomtom XXL update [not enough memory] Reply with quote

Last year I bought a new XXL 5" with the full USA and Mexico map installed
whilst on holiday in Florida, since being home I bought and installed a UK map
which only just fitted, with the deletion of unwanted voices etc, when I tried to update yesterday there is apparently a new tomtom app req , which now won't fit due to lack of memory! tom-tom home is suggesting i remove the USA map to create space
I am very reluctant to do this as I'm going to Florida again later this year and don't want to find either, 1, can't get the Florida map back on, or 2, it doesn't work properly when I get there
There is a basic map overlay listed [USA] 3.2 mb which if deleted would give me just enough space but I can't find out what it does or if the Florida [USA] map would work without it ?
Is there any way to delete parts of the full USA map I only need Florida ?
thank for any help in advance
Bob
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just remove (cut/paste the unwanted map folder to your PC) but if you're not happy doing this then apart from dumping unwanted voices you can remove all but the UK cspeech GBR.dat files from the map folders which will save more space

You cannot split a map folder down to leave just Florida though

You could also delete the raster stuff too as this is only a pictorial thing if you zoom right out.

Save all these deleted bits to your PC "just in case" you ever want/need them again
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JB,but I've removed all voices except the one english voice I use and all other non essential stuff, I'm just wary of getting to florida and the totem not working [it's happened to me before ! ] had to hire one ,very expensive !
Still don't know what the map overlay is/does ,can it be removed ?
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrleeming wrote:
Thanks JB,but I've removed all voices except the one english voice I use and all other non essential stuff, I'm just wary of getting to florida and the totem not working [it's happened to me before ! ] had to hire one ,very expensive !
Still don't know what the map overlay is/does ,can it be removed ?

Have you deleted most of the cspeech.dat files as that's a BIG saving?

Map overlay sounds like the raster; again, why not cut/paste to you PC & see if everything still works?

I still think you're safe to backup the US map till you need it (& you've plenty of time to sort it out if it all goes Pete Tong)!

One last thing; remember to do a Full Windows back up (DO NOT rely on TTHome doing it for you)!!!
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I probably being a little paranoid about it ,but I don't know if I can be sure the US map is working correctly , just being able to browse the map is not very reassuring that it will actually WORK when i get there , I suppose I don't really have to do the app update ,I don't even know what benefit it gives ,if any
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly believe that as long as you have a Full Windows backup it's very hard to brick your device.

One thing to remember is when you 1st get to the US it can take 10-15 mins to actually find/lock on to the sats (as it "doesn't know where you are") so don't panic (at least for the first 15 mins) after first switch on over there anyway
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally managed to create enough space ,deleting splash screens and quick fix update, funnily enough after the update its now saying I have 20mb free space !
thanks
Bob
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrleeming wrote:
Finally managed to create enough space ,deleting splash screens and quick fix update, funnily enough after the update its now saying I have 20mb free space !
thanks
Bob

Good news. Now you can start drip-feeding deleted stuff back on.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need any more reassurance....

1. Do that full back up with Windows Explorer before changing anything. that will protect you from just about any issue "down the line".

2. If you can browse the US map, you should also be able to do a "Plan route" and "Route demo" of any trip in the states, so you know it works.

3. Simply copying the map onto your PC then removing it, and then putting it back when you need it, has ALWAYS worked for me, and I've done it quite a lot.
(Copying it to the PC first is actually unnecessary if you have already done that backup because it will be there already).

4. Map overlay/raster files... These are the pseudo satellite images you get if you zoom RIGHT out (try it). They are totally unnecessary.

5. The app update gives you nothing new, features-wise, it just adds a legal message about information sharing.
In fact, if you had auto switch-on when power was applied (I can't remember if your model does), then this update takes it away.

Hope that puts your mind a bit more at rest!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, justbrowsing is absolutely correct in that you can delete all (actually) , not just some of the cspeech.dat files if you see them in the USA_Canada_Mexico map.

You see, those files are necessary for Voice Control, NOT text to speech and that model does NOT have a microphone, so Voice Control doesn't work anyway.

Why TT offers those files in the map for this 540 model, who knows. Just another idiotic decision on TT's part.......
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking, that man.... Very Happy
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Good thinking, that man.... Very Happy

Agreed, there are most likely NO cspeech files anyway on that map..doh!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, mate... quite the opposite! You are right, they usually ARE there, but there's absolutely no reason for them to be on that model.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
No, mate... quite the opposite! You are right, they usually ARE there, but there's absolutely no reason for them to be on that model.

Oh? I wonder what map version was supplied originally then. May even have had the ASR folder in too which is more wastage.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: