Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom Units with best MapShare yet...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom Units with best MapShare yet...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: New TomTom Units with best MapShare yet... Reply with quote

TomTom have just announced the Via 130 and 135 which (seems) to bring the MapShare we all want to their devices finally

Daily map updates via Map Share - without the need to update your maps - for the lifetime of the unit

Also improved voice control

Just need a 5" Live device now with faster processor so less lag when in the menus (navigation is fine with current 1000 series) PLUS these new features and it will be time for a new unit!

http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=669929
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaHa... I just love your endless optimism!

I can't quite see what difference “The new Speak & Go feature" has from the existing C+C on the GO NAV3 models.

And I hope that when you say "without needing to update your maps" you don't honestly think that you won't need to buy new maps any more?
All it means is the same EXTREMELY LIMITED MapShare corrections as we've always had (but couldn't get on NAV3 models) will carry on being sent after a year.
But if you want new roads and junctions etc. you'll still need to buy a new map
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your never ending pessimism... Crying or Very sad

I fully understand that for new roads, etc. you would have to buy new maps

You would be dumb to think otherwise, and TT would be foolish to do this

BUT what I was stating, obviously not clearly enough for some, was that unlike on previous versions of MapShare (which allows users to correct map data and then share map corrects only on current map data - so for 3 months) now it can continue sharing data corrections on existing roads for ever

Now to me that seems like a step forward, but then I do like to think positively and give credit where credit is due

My PGPSW camera data doesn't get updated for free - not even with unchecked, community fed data, so TT gets the thumbs up for this! Laughing
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a TomTom stooge at work here?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Is there a TomTom stooge at work here?

Another pessimist Question

To be fair, forums like PGPSW are full of woes, because people like to share their disasters to try and get some, help/sympathy etc. There are probably equal numbers of optimists and happy owners out there, but they don't have the same incentive to say, I'm very happy with my ****.

Well, I have more than one TomTom as I use them for different purposes - in general I am very happy with them, but also more than ready to have a little moan when something I expect of them does not happen - sometimes this may be my own misunderstanding of what the device is supposed to do....that's when I revert to the help here. Cool
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
My PGPSW camera data doesn't get updated for free - not even with unchecked, community fed data,
The PGPSW data gets checked out a lot more than TT's mapshare that isn't checked by anyone Shocked And the PGPSW database does get updated for free. Your subs are to join the PGPSW 'club', the database comes free to members. So there Evil or Very Mad
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
....Well, I have more than one TomTom as I use them for different purposes - in general I am very happy with them, but also more than ready to have a little moan when something I expect of them does not happen - sometimes this may be my own misunderstanding of what the device is supposed to do....that's when I revert to the help here. Cool

Ditto here. +1

But it's very easy for us One Marque owners to get Tunnel Vision. I notice from xtraseller's signature that he has several makes of SatNav to compare so he is probably better positioned than me to say if some of TT's features are good or bad.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need another SatNav to know if yours is not working as it should.

Another SatNav would be useful for comparing features.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only one TomTom and I've no complaints about its performance - which is why I rarely post in this forum.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, hence my +1 to Gee-Pee. But, in reality, my TT does do as I would like and as far as I know MapShare does work as it should, It's just our expectations of it which which let us down. We all know how good it could be if properly implemented. Yet, compared to the others, it's brilliant because they don't even have a bad version of it.

Thankfully I have no need for HD and new maps otherwise I probably wouldn't be so forgiving
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
xtraseller wrote:
My PGPSW camera data doesn't get updated for free - not even with unchecked, community fed data,
The PGPSW data gets checked out a lot more than TT's mapshare that isn't checked by anyone Shocked And the PGPSW database does get updated for free. Your subs are to join the PGPSW 'club', the database comes free to members. So there Evil or Very Mad

So if ClubTomTom was £200 a year and when you joined the club you got your TomTom for free plus MapShare all would be fine in your eyes?

My TomToms are the best all round units out there - best route, best traffic, best mount, best display in terms of sharpness, and best in terms of features

However, I dislike TT's lane guidance, Navman is better and Navigon is best

I find TT's 1000s series a little slugish in the menus - but great and never an issue when navigating

And I wish their rounderbout direction and text visuals were better (ie. like Navman when is the best in the business with icons that really do represent the roundabout and says "3rd Exit", etc. in text as well as voice

So I am not a tomtom slouch but it is - for me - the best all round unit out there... just needs some work, because our expectations are always growing and perhaps faster than technology (or at least economical technology) at the moment
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how do you get on with multi drop itinery and route optimisation Twisted Evil
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
And how do you get on with multi drop itinery and route optimisation Twisted Evil

Don't need it so cannot comment

I used my units for getting to several positions a day, but already in a structured order which is not based on their location, so irrelevant - as it would be to most users

Of course, if it is important to you, then I guess that would be a negative

But that doesn't make them bad

Horses for....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but does this mean I can now have confidence in MapShare corrections? Have TT said how they verify them yet?

It would seem that the process is no different from the present one with other devices - still have to connect to computer to download the corrections, just do it every day instead of every whenever. I just thought there weren't any to download if there wasn't a blob in the radio button (my own fault because I always unblobbed it, so I was never seeing no blob).

Anyway, it seems to me the main sales babble is about Speak and Go. It recognises over 1000 commands. I wonder if it'll get round to recognising even ONE from Mikealder? Twisted Evil They still have it wrong - my method, suggested years ago, was to simply have a hands free command to activate the TT menu, e.g. "Tom Tom Menu", then use the earlier method of numbering the menu items and speaking the numbers. But I expect they'll still have the cute little microphone symbol to tap not hands free, then get it to recognise all the different accents. Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
then get it to recognise all the different accents.

I have given up using the speech facility because I end up shouting at it to try and get it to recognise me - it still doesn't. Rather than induce high blood pressure, I use the finger tapping method. I speak, what is commonly called estuary english, my wife speaks un-accented english and she has tried also, but no-go. So, if they don't work, then what hope is there for the broader english, irish, scottish and welsh accents.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: