Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nice app
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nice app
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Nice app Reply with quote

I have only recently come back to the forum after buying a new TT and looking for guidance. I stopped coming here so often after my PDA with TT broke and I couldn't do "one touch" camera reporting. I happened to see some threads on CamerAlert and thought i'd download it to try. Imagine my surprise that my exisiting PGPSW subsription was also valid for this app Smile.

The ability to report the cameras easily is a big bonus to me and the average speed display through the SPECS areas is fantastic Smile I can now just passively activate my phone and toggle the screen on when passing through these specs zones which isa great help.

Superb bit of software- 10/10

Mark
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always great to get some positive feedback. I bet the team who put the app together will be very pleased. Thumbs Up
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno what it's like on Android. But when it was first released for iPhone only, I read the write-up/manual and would you believe, went out and upgraded to an iPhone specifically to get the app!! I've only added three or four other apps, not being a freaky person, and none of them give me the same performance satisfaction as CamerAlert. My first comments on it were that this is a camera system which has obviously been designed by somebody who knows what a camera system should do, what users want from it, unlike all those others which are not. (And don't think I benefit from being a Moderator to make me likely to say this sort of thing - all I get as a Mod is the ability to edit your posts if you start cursing too much) Laughing Laughing

And you never know, that instant report button might get you a free lifetime subscription now.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I read the write-up/manual
Shocked
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

And you never know, that instant report button might get you a free lifetime subscription now.

I already have one Smile What is does mean however, is that I can now contribute to the database again, which was impossible before. Only one button missing that I can see, and that is the remove camera one.

One question though. If I report a camera abroad without data roaming on, will it automatically upload next time I am on wifi on data is on?

Mark
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Shocked

Honest Injun!!! Cross my heart, spit and hope to die, I really truly did, I swear it on my dear old granny's grave. Sure, I had been recommended it by somebody here I trust, so it wasn't a sort of virgin RTFM, but I really did RTFM and from start to finish (I haven't read any updates though, that would be going toooo faaaar!). Last time I RTFM for anything was for Lotus 1-2-3 v2.01 in 1986, so don't start picking! It's easier to do a text to MaFt. Very Happy

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
DennisN wrote:

I already have one Smile What is does mean however, is that I can now contribute to the database again, which was impossible before. Only one button missing that I can see, and that is the remove camera one.

One question though. If I report a camera abroad without data roaming on, will it automatically upload next time I am on wifi on data is on?

Mark

It doesn't say you are a lifetime member.
Anyway, I think it will report next time you plug into wi-fi - I can't swear to it - at the time I RTFM I was already too old and tired to know what wi-fi meant, but I've seen MaFt tell people to turn data off if they don't want to gobble data in this country or if they want to store a report and edit it later before submission. It's probably in an update to TFM Joker

On my iPhone (really modern geeky tired old person, woo hoo!), I can submit a removal request by tapping the camera icon on screen, then 'editing' it, one of the choices is to ask for it to be removed.

May I just sound a note of something please. With new or edit reports, there is always an option to add a voice note. As a Verifier of camera reports, I am at one with all the other Verifiers in saying that notes/comments about submissions are the thing we miss most from many CamerAlert instant submissions. That instant button is not always quite as instant as one might think and a simple voice note that it's in the layby or outside the red phone box can mean the difference between us accepting one (and moving it a bit) or rejecting it. And we do get quite a few dodgy reports. I know you'd never do it, but some tired old people actually press that button whilst driving and even sometimes press it by mistake when their doddery old fingers are aiming for something else. Embarassed

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And instead of editing my above post yet again(!), I'd add that one option on my geekiPhone under Manage Cameras is the option to turn on "Keep log after upload", which keeps a list of all the submissions I've made for me to check, so they better do the job right back at pgpsw Towers!

Oh and I've just seen above that one a button which says Allow Transmission On/Off so you could do that anyway whilst abroad then turn it on again some time when you get wi-fi.

There are so many good things this app does which all the others don't. I wish I could boast I'd had something to do with it. Crying or Very sad

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez Dennis, your're almost persuading me to buy an iPhone just for the CA app Not Worthy
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

It doesn't say you are a lifetime member.

I don't know where it would say that, but I was given the sub as I was a member when the database was free, so qualified for the lifetime (or 13 years remaining) when it became chargeable.

Mark
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall take it upon myself to arrange to have you reclassified from Regular Visitor to Lifetime Member, then you can look down your nose at any number of people. Twisted Evil

You may say "Thank you nicely" and I shall feel magnanimous. Angel

marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you nicely. Not sure I agree with you goosing magnanimous though Very Happy

Mark
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's what I mean when I say I am allowed to Moderate posts when you say naughty stuff. I'll be near Leeds (Rothwell) weekend after next, so watch out. Stop!

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Jeez Dennis, your're almost persuading me to buy an iPhone just for the CA app Not Worthy

Don't do it! iPhones are far too complicated for old persons named after cars and CamerAlert would give you the shakes if you didn't RTFM. Mr. Green

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
Thank you nicely. Not sure I agree with you goosing magnanimous though Very Happy
That should read, "Thank you, Nicely".

When one of your names is Nicely, you can get up to all sorts of things. Shocked Twisted Evil

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: