Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is TomTom Violating Your Privacy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is TomTom Violating Your Privacy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alncc1701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Is TomTom Violating Your Privacy? Reply with quote

When I updated my TomTom it stopped all my live traffic services and said I could not have any unless I signed away my right not to be tracked.

We are being tracked in general today in many places and our data is being sent to faceless people managing databases about us. Mobile phones, internet browsers, CCTV and satnavs too. All in the name of protecting us or improving customer services. I just get the feeling this obsession with monitoring very closely what an individual gets upto can only end in tears one day.

Anonymous statistics are not as anonymous when they are pooled together and analysed. Are any TomTom users concerned with their privacy and tracking policy? Should everyone give them the data they are asking for, or should they have less, or none at all? I am glad they at least flagged up a notice to warn me of them sending data and trying to layout what they would like to take from my device. That is good, but I think they should only be allowed a lot less information.

These are some of the issues that I am uneasy about from their notice:

1. They appear to ask for continuous monitoring of every route I take from beginning till the destination.
2. They know my device's identity info and link it to my account name.
3. All Google internet searches from the device are sent back to their databases.

Overtime this information will list out my everyday habits to a very high degree. They will know everywhere I drive and the places I visit regularly and at what times. If one of the places I visit also happens to be a TomTom user, and that user happens to drive to my house regularly they might guess that we might be friends or family.

If we agree to share all of this data it will almost certainly be a matter of time before all the satnav companies will do the same and begin asking to share our data with each other. Then our travel habits will be known about by these companies. Why is there such interest in tracking us to the limit? It is very shameful I feel and invasive.

And one day, the databases that are built up about our travel habits will probably be hacked or leaked out by a corrupt employee at TomTom. Then perhaps posted on the internet for all to see. Maybe some of that data might be a lot less anonymous that what we realize and some prominent people in society might have their movement habits exposed. Who knows?

Right now I am thinking about getting a different satnav that respects personal privacy, unless they come to some agreement with their customers about what info is okay to share and what is not.

Sigh!

Any comments or ideas?

Al
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is TomTom Violating Your Privacy? Reply with quote

alncc1701 wrote:

Any comments or ideas?

Al

Yes, you're paranoid.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live in a cave, and don't use the internet or a mobile phone.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live in a cave, and don't use the internet or a mobile phone.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could switch of HD Traffic and all that goes with it

It works on the sharing of data - and I wouldn't want you to benefit from my data, if I could not in return benefit from yours

There is the acceptable face of data collection - ie. TomTom HD Traffic where we can all (most) see the need, benefit and agree to its collection and use

Then there is Google, etc. where it becomes simply overpowering, intrusive and in the end, where switching off is the better solution
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..you say 'Anonymous statistics are not as anonymous when they are pooled together and analysed'. I don't agree with this. If you have two sets of anonymous data, one from Person A and one from Person B and you pool and analyse them, how is that 'not as anonymous'? It is simply two datasets which may, or may not, coincide in some way. If it's anonymous there's nothing to infer about the people - it's simply journeys 'people' have made.

Anonymity seems to be the crux of your argument and TomTom say they anonymise the data. I suppose a version of the data linked to identities COULD exist and it COULD leak/get hacked but it's a low likelihood and if it did occur TomTom would then be subject to action under the Dutch Data Protection Act. Too late, you may argue but in such cases action is taken.

If you aren't happy taking this particular risk by giving them permission to collect the data then you can decline, and not receive the benefit of HD traffic any more.

Personally I am fairly risk-averse and careful with my personal data but I decided the benefits outweighed the potential risk.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:
.................Anonymity seems to be the crux of your argument and TomTom say they anonymise the data. I suppose a version of the data linked to identities COULD exist and it COULD leak/get hacked but it's a low likelihood ......

Didn't I read somewhere that TT shall anonymise the data for their own use but shall keep a copy of the RAW data to pass to the authorities should they request it?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and if the device is registered with a dummy email address?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
pward wrote:
.................Anonymity seems to be the crux of your argument and TomTom say they anonymise the data. I suppose a version of the data linked to identities COULD exist and it COULD leak/get hacked but it's a low likelihood ......

Didn't I read somewhere that TT shall anonymise the data for their own use but shall keep a copy of the RAW data to pass to the authorities should they request it?

They are required to disclose information about users to law enforcement, as per:

In most countries we are obliged by local law to cooperate with requests from law enforcement authorities to disclose information we have about you. We comply with such request only when explicitly and lawfully ordered to do so following due legal process.

So yes, they will keep a copy of the raw data for this purpose, but then so do many similar organisations. Access is tightly controlled.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:
So yes, they will keep a copy of the raw data for this purpose, but then so do many similar organisations. Access is tightly controlled.
They will probably sell it to people wh run car parks just like DVLA do
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have already sold data to the Police in one country which could let them (The Police) know where motorists speed and therefore position speed cameras as a result of the data sold by TomTom.

What annoys me is the fact you pay for the service, TomTom yet again change the terms and conditions post purchase leaving the user stranded, ok you can agree to the new T&C's but if you don't you are denied access to the services purchased.

There have been too many alterations "post purchase" by TomTom over the past few years, (HD Traffic range being another classic example) I wouldn't trust them one bit these days - Mike
alncc1701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for most of the replies. Rowdy teenagers not included.

I just wish to say that I am not against TomTom or any company doing legitimite business, but if any company tries to put their eyeballs into my life too closely, or that of my family, I really dislike that.

I think the main problem is there does not seem to be an open discussion between companies and their customers about what exactly the customer, would and would not, be prepared to reveal with their data. It seems like TomTom here just wrote up a semi-detailed list of what it wanted to take and expected customers to stomach it. Why did they not first tell customers what data they would like to collect, and check to see if customers were happy with that data being sent back to TomTom? If customers wanted certain things not sent back, then TomTom, if it
respects privacy, should comply.

It would be nice if TomTom would publish a highly detailed list on their website of all data requests the devices collect and send back, so that customers could be well informed about just what is leaving the device. And if enough people were unhappy with certain things, then they would remove those particular requests.

In reply to PWard. I agree with what you wrote. It is hard to always explain these things clearly, because they are complicated. One risk I see with anonymous statistics becoming identifiable would be for famous people:

Addresses of people who are well-known are widely available on the internet. Any vehicles watched by satnav employees coming
and going from such addresses could have lots of inferences made about them. Networks built over time of places they all visited
regularly.

This does not seem to be a risk to the average satnav user, unless somehow a company employee got hold a list of names
and addresses of all UK residents. Presumably the post office has a list of names and address. If such a database list were to leak out
then TomTom might know most of its customers by name.

I don't know whether the customer will ever be listened too these days. Much software automatically sends off details about its customer/user straight back to home base without even asking if it OK to send. What details being sent back vary from harmless to severe.

I don't know what the solution is, but I think if there was more dialogue and agreement between company and customer, then that would be a
good start. Perhaps it might take a severe privacy breach, or embarrassment to a major celebrity to bring these potential problems into
public view more clearly.

Al
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To invert the argument. Road Angel charge for it as a service:

'Tracking

Especially handy for commercial users, for a small additional subscription cost per month, you can track your Connected device on a Microsoft Virtual Earth map. Your mileage and journey information will automatically be recorded, streamlining expense claims and mileage capture.'
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:

They are required to disclose information about users to law enforcement, as per:

In most countries we are obliged by local law to cooperate with requests from law enforcement authorities to disclose information we have about you. We comply with such request only when explicitly and lawfully ordered to do so following due legal process.

I'm not sure that's true....

Sure they keep SOME data or information about you that could be passed to authorities, but there's nothing there to say it's the USAGE/TRACKING data that is available to pass on. I think that gets anonymised pretty early on in the process.

Member 'canderson' from the US forums (I'm not sure if he's a member here) has done a lot of research on this with some direct input from a VERY knowledgeable source at TomTom). Hopefully he'll see this topic and comment.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

What annoys me is the fact you pay for the service, TomTom yet again change the terms and conditions post purchase leaving the user stranded, ok you can agree to the new T&C's but if you don't you are denied access to the services purchased.

AFAIK, they haven't changed ANYTHING... they have just introduced all the legal "agreement" screens in order to conform to EU privacy laws.

Think about it.... If you didn't "share" your location with TomTom, it would be impossible for them to provide you with LIVE services such as traffic reports for your route or Google LOCAL search.

There are a lot of things about the erosion of our rights to privacy that we SHOULD be concerned about at the moment, but I don't think this is one of them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: